Sign in with
Your question

Got my Rev3 Asus P8P67 Pro Board

Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2011 1:11:48 PM

I have a problem with the network port. It keeps turning on and off (lights on the port and the connection go). Also for some reason the usual Green light is Orange, not sure if that is relivent? Below is what I have done so far to get into this position:

1 - Installed the New Board into the system as a direct replacement, I didn't re-install Windows.
2 - Booted up successfully, sound and other drivers all ok. Re-activated Windows over the phone.
3 - After problem identified I have reinstalled the BIOS to the (same) current version
4 - Downgraded the BIOS to the previous (non-BETA) version
5 - Installed the Network drivers from the disk which came with the board
6 - Installed the network drivers fro mthe website

None of the above have worked. EVERYTHING else seems to be ok with the system and I am keen to avoid a OS reinstall if possible.

My next 2 options are to plug in a new hard drive to do a fresh install to see if that works (and if so I will reinstall the OS onto my SSD) and to try a PCI Network card.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
March 17, 2011 1:16:04 PM

Sounds like a bad connection. Have you tried a different network cable? Have you tried disabling the network device in windows and re-enabling it?

If my memory serves me right, the orange light (instead of green) indicates that you have a lower connection speed (ie. 10mbps versus 100/1000mbps).
March 17, 2011 1:19:07 PM

Hmmmmm thanks for the light colour explanation, that would coinside with what I am seeing on my Router.

I did however try a different network cable, and made sure they were both working on other systems. They are ok.
Related resources
March 17, 2011 1:25:21 PM

I assume your other devices are working fine with the router, so past that I think the problem is on the motherboard. I have an old A8N32-SLI Deluxe that has two network ports and they both flicked on an off before they stopped responding all together.

If you don't figure it out, call ASUS and demand a cross-ship of a new board. I've found that calling directly and making clear your dissatisfaction (in a polite way, of course) yields good results. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.
March 18, 2011 2:03:05 PM

Ok, it's knackered, tried a brand new install of Windows and had the same results.

I am sending it back, any recommendations on anotherboard?
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 2:23:17 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The Pro is a good board for the dollar and should give good service. If you want a better built and higher quality board, then I would seriously consider a Sabertooth P67. Unless you are into RAID, multiple GPU's and such, the Saber covers the bases very well. They are built to a higher standard than typical boards and use mil-spec parts. They come with a 5 year warranty instead of the usual 3 year. They cost a bit more than the Pro model but I feel it is a worthwhile upgrade. You can checkout the differences in features and do head to head comparisons on the ASUS site for your region.

Good luck. I hope you have a better time of it on the next go round.
March 18, 2011 2:30:29 PM

Ooohhh, that's the funky looking one isn't it. I was just looking at that. I don't mind paying the extra as I am getting a full refund anyhow. That board isn't currently available on newegg though, can I be sure that the one on TigerDirect is the new Rev3 version?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 3:08:56 PM

Yes, the link shows a Sabertooth P67 with the B3 revision.
March 18, 2011 3:33:47 PM

Ahhh, is that what the B3 refers too then?
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 5:03:05 PM

chadclifton said:
Ahhh, is that what the B3 refers too then?

Yup.
March 18, 2011 5:04:14 PM

Right, buying it, if it's rubbish it's all your fault
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 6:04:21 PM

chadclifton said:
Right, buying it, if it's rubbish it's all your fault

:ouch:  Ha! Well if it is rubbish then they'll need to revamp all their ads and I'll have to eat my words. :pfff: 

If it is any consolation, I have the Sabertooth X58 board which is somewhat similar to the Sabertooth P67 model. I bought it when I dropped the Sandy Bridge setup I had and bought the i7-950 CPU. I could not get the Sabertooth P67 when I bought my i5-2500k back in January because they had not been released at that point. I really like the Sabertooth boards and feel they are a better build than the average. Seems very solid and tough. Having a longer warranty gives some peace of mind as well. I have not had a speck of trouble with mine in any way. I have not read or heard of anything glaringly wrong with them either.

I wish you all the best. Enjoy that Saber when it comes.
March 18, 2011 6:32:43 PM

The ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION has come back into stock too now, is it any good?
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 7:57:53 PM

Yup, that is a top drawer unit. In a different class to the Sabertooth. If you are a very serious power user, then it would be a choice. But from what you had already posted, I felt the Saber was a perfect fit.
March 18, 2011 8:14:46 PM

Sold, I've ordered that one instead (the Sabretooth wasn't in stock at NewEgg anyway).
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 8:15:55 PM

Regarding the NIC, it could easily be anything from your Router to the cables to drivers. Have you either tried to fully reset your router or use a Static IP outside of the DHCP range of the Router? {e.g. if the Router is 192.168.1.1 with 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.50 then try 192.168.1.51}

Next, try Intel's latest drivers -> http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/ {Intel® 82579 Gigabit LAN} http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?series=4754... I don't know if it's the LM or V.

The ASUS P8P67 PRO is very good, and the step-up is P8P67 DELUXE.

The latest drivers are dated 2/24/2011 vs ASUS 12/29/2010 http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=HMMvTCuBcZLfu2YL

ASUS:
Maximus IV Extreme {2~3WAY, x8...x8, Marvell 9182 [ASUS typo? 9128] RAID 0/1, Dual Intel LAN, BT}
P8P67 WS Revolution {2~3WAY & 4-WAY Quadro only, x8...x8, Marvell 9128 RAID 0/1, Dual Intel LAN}

P8P67 DELUXE {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9128 RAID 0/1, Dual Intel/Realtek LAN, BT, eSATA, USB3 Ft Panel}

P8P67 EVO {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9120 no RAID, Dual Intel/Realtek LAN}
P8P67 PRO {2-WAY, x8/x8 + x4 open, Marvell 9120 no RAID}

SABERTOOTH P67 {2-WAY, x8/x8, Marvell 9120 no RAID, eSATA}
P8P67 LE {cheap}
P8P67 {cheap}
P8P67-M {cheap}
P8P67-M PRO {cheap}
March 21, 2011 12:22:27 PM

Well it was defo not the Router or cables....but I booted up the old girl yesterday and for some reason the Network is now solid! WTF!!! I've just ordered and had shipped the WS board, and now I don't need it!
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 2:16:29 PM

Most home all-in-one routers are not very good...sparing the debate.

Next time, hopefully you won't have a next time, but there are a few tricks:
Open Command Prompt
Type: ipconfig /flushdns

Next IP Address {try a new IP address if failure} - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change...

Next restart Router {never overlap DHCP and Static IP addresses}

After that reset both the PC and Router...
March 21, 2011 2:42:16 PM

Yup, all that was done (I'm a network nerd) and everything was pointing to the hardware on the mobo. I'm totally confused by it all as I've never had anything like this happen before. Currently running some tests on the board now to see if it can stay stable for a few days!

(I had also tried static and DHCP just incase)

FYI I am using a Linksys E3000, not a bad bit of kit and it has been fine with my other machines.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 4:10:56 PM

I get networking, and I'd be lying if I said either my house or office was without a hiccup. Most people use a FIOS or other 'Cable' router and are clueless.

If it's the MOBO then maybe you had an INIT failure for some 'oddball' reason. A voltage or Hz fluctuation could have caused the failure, or an S3 power-up. I live in FL and EVERYTHING is isolated via an UPS or other protection. We get brownouts, lightning, and all out blackouts - aggravating considering our $/KW.
!