The differences between these hard drive

longmachao

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
I'm looking for a external hard drive to store video/pics/ digital downloaded game. I'm looking on amazon and there are so many different one from one manufacture its confusing :pt1cable: .

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st?keywords=external+hard+drive&qid=1344878417&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A1292110011%2Cn%3A595048%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A5446815011%2Ck%3Aexternal+hard+drive&sort=price

Seagate alone have 5-7 external hard drive with 3tb storage. What exactly is the differences between them? Just wanna know why they are price differently when they all offer 3tb storage with 3.0 usb.

I'd recommend either of these, I'd run a test on the hard drives before use with a program that checks for bad sectors.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Portable-Drive/dp/B006Y5UV4A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1344880750&sr=8-4&keywords=western+digital++external

I'd run a test on the hard drives before use.http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Essential-Desktop-External/dp/B0042Z55RM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344880827&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital++external

Best option I think though is an internal hard drive for your PC. Western digital offers advanced replacements where they send you a drive first if yours starts failing and then you send the old one to them, as long as you have a warranty at least which most have for 2 years.

Also you can get internal hard drivers for cheaper. Unless your going to be carrying around an external hard drive, get an internal.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-Desktop/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344880972&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital++green

I have two 2TB western digital green drives, they are very reliable, running 24\7 for 3 years.

longmachao

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
If i go for a internal hard drive... is there anything i need to do to set it up? would my computer be able to automatically store file where needed? or would i have to specifically tell them which HD to store that particular file on?

That depends on how you have your PC setup. It's as simple as putting the hard drive in PC and then you have a drive to put whatever you want on it. Nothing to really setup. Just throw whatever you want in there. Did you have something special in mind for storage? It wouldn't be much different then plugging in a external hard drive, except it's inside your PC.

If you wanted files to automatically just backup to the other hard drive, I'd recommend manually sorting your files into the back up drive then setting the folders on the drive as a shared location into your documents folder in windows(if that makes any sense to you.) It would be like they are there, but you wont lose anything if windows messes up or something happens to the drive with your operating system on it.

The best value might be a 2TB drive, though prices are up and down. I couldn't find a better deal than the above USB drive though.

Internal drive:
1) turn off PC
2) hook up the SATA cable and power cable to hard drive (you can screw in now or after you test it)
3) drive likely won't show up in Windows Explorer (or "Computer"); go to "Disk Management" (can google that) find the drive, right-click and choose "create active partition" (can't remember proper wording)

4) run CHECKDISK on the drive (can google that) and select BOTH options (will take about 12 hours or so)
*one of the options in Checkdisk is for looking for bad sections and making a table to avoid them. You should always run a full checkdisk (or full FORMAT) the first time you get a hard drive.

5) once the drive is ready, it will simply appear in "Computer" (Windows Explorer) as a drive letter (i.e. "E:" drive) though you can NAME the drive if you want (i.e. "storage")

You can simply use Windows Explorer to add folders to it and put files in there. You can even create a "Download" folder if you wish and change the settings in your Internet Browser to put the files there.

If you wish to delete files you can delete individual files, entire folder or select individual files in a folder (hold CTRL and left-click files).

Checkdisk:
1) Start-> Computer
2) right-click the new drive
3) Properties -> Tools-> Error checking-> Check Now (select both options and start)

*You can still use your computer when this is happening but you can't access the new drive. You should not shut down your PC until it finishes.

longmachao

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Meaning when i go to check my C:local disk it would say 3tb (including my 1tb).. or would there be two separate C: local disk with 2tb and 1tb?

It would be it's on entity and if you get a new PC you can plug the hard drive into the new one; just be careful if you ever reinstall Windows to NOT try and format the storage drive accidentally. This option is much more cost effective and youtube has lots of videos on how to do this if you are a visual person or just ask here again if your stuck :p ; very easy procedure.

One important question though, what are you planning to store? Just images, music, or HD video?

You might want to consider a 3TB if you shoot lots of HD footage or something along those lines. I can fill up 3TB with HD footage very quickly if I wanted.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

+1 in which case however with a higher capacity can be more dangerous if you plan on storing important information on there. In which case for the OP, if you don't want to lose your important files, music, ect.. then i suggest getting 2 hard drives.. 1 external & one internal. That way when you back up you can back up to the external one and store it somewhere safe. The internal one can be used for every day use and if you do regular backups you'll be safe from any potential data loss.

An alternative would be burning the info you wanna keep on DVDs, but it's far easier to get another hard drive. If you are pressed for cash tho that is an alternative or buying a lower capacity external drive (or internal if you prefer) and try to back up what you can.

You might also want to consider Google drive or Skydive to store important paperwork and data via cloud, and everything else on a hard TB drive, maybe mirror it if you'd want.

You have lots of options, what's most economical and efficient is only for you to decide though.

TRENDING THREADS