Your question

Video Card Issues

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 13, 2010 8:39:58 AM

Hi,

Just over the past day or so my computer has gone from completely operable to the point where I can hardly turn it on. It began with odd artifacting, wavy blue horizontal lines across my screen, followed by my computer freezing. On reset, I noticed the wavy blue lines were still there on the black screen, leading me to believe it has to do with my video card's hardware.
I let it all cool for about an hour, came back, and it appeared to have resolved itself; unfortunately, while trying to download new graphics drivers, the problem repeated itself, and I reset again in safe mode. I managed to download and install the drivers in safe mode, but this didn't solve the problem. Upon further resets, the artifacting and lines remain the same, but the system doesn't even prompt me to start in Safe Mode, it just tries to start normally, Blue Screens, and then resets. I managed to catch a glimpse of the Blue Screen, stating that something is not "fully ACPI compliant," but I assume this isn't actually the problem.
Using the PlayTool site for diagnosing the problem, my issue seems closest to "Video RAM artifacts," but I was just wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some better insight on what my issue is. Thanks!! ;) 

In case anyone needs to know:
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800GT
Motherboard: nVidia nForce 780i

More about : video card issues

a c 169 U Graphics card
May 13, 2010 9:28:16 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Can you try your card in another system or test a different card in your system ?
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 13, 2010 3:53:13 PM

Sounds like GPU failure to me.
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2010 4:04:57 PM

Did you happen to update the BIOS at some point before all this happened? It seems weird that you're getting an ACPI error all of a sudden. The fact that your system won't boot to safe mode indicates that you may have some deeper problems.

You definitely need to track down a second video card and test it out though.
m
l
May 13, 2010 6:25:09 PM

Didn't update my BIOS within the last few months, that's why it struck me as odd. Figured it might just be a false positive kind of thing. Unfortunately, I don't have any old cards to test, or another system to test my card in. Getting in contact with eVGA now, an RMA should be in order... let's hope that solves the problem.
m
l
!