Solved

Strange unknown PC noise

Hey tom's,

Recently, I've been hearing an intermittent high pitch noise coming from somewhere in my PC, at regular intervals after about an hour of having it on. It's not a clunking sound, or anything I've heard from a hard drive, so I'm not sure it's that. It's the exact same pattern of subtle whines/squeaks, every time. Could it be my power supply? I can't seem to figure it out, and I'd like to do so before something ends up going out/ruining the rest of my components.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about strange unknown noise
  1. Also, I have noticed several occurrences with electrical interference. If I plug my headphones into the jack on my case, and when I take the side off my case - I can hear a barely audible squeaking noise when I scroll my mouse wheel.
  2. Best answer
    Capacitors can make noises that can be described as you have (but not in all the cases you mention). If that's your problem, the noise does not mean they are happy :) As for where, could be anywhere, I'd guess first the psu, next the mobo.
  3. Twoboxer said:
    Capacitors can make noises that can be described as you have (but not in all the cases you mention). If that's your problem, the noise does not mean they are happy :) As for where, could be anywhere, I'd guess first the psu, next the mobo.

I've been doing some research, and it is most likely the power supply. I recently upgraded from a 9800 GTX to a GTX 470 and I think that due to the age of the PSU it may not be providing adequate power or something similar.
  4. If your PSU cannot provide adequate power under load, one the usual symptoms is random reset/reboots.
  5. Best answer selected by Broseidon.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Hard Drives Components