monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Is there a major difference (performance enhancement) in hardcore gaming between the intel i7 975 and the intel i7 980X?

I currently have the 975 and I am wondering if it is really worth the $999 for a new CPU (6 cores instead of 4). Should I spend the money on the CPU or buy 3 monitors in 3D instead :sol: Any thoughts?

If you already have a 975, you'd have to be either an idiot or obscenely rich to buy a 980x. The only justification would be if you were using it for a job, and absolutely needed the extra multithreaded performance. If all you want is gaming performance, there's absolutely no point whatsoever.

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Thats what I was thinking. Not insanely rich but I do make good money. I always check here before I buy anything and I tend to ask dumb questions just to make sure. Not I wont even think about buying the 980x upgrade. thanks

The i7 980X would show noticeable increase in performance in games such as FSX or very heavy CPU based games relative to the GPU. Unfortunately that's about the only game that I can think off the top of my head which uses more than four cores.

The $1000 really kills the CPU. Its a good CPU by the way. But makes no sense for ordinary people to buy it. I don't know why Intel make these chips, only to cater to a select few. If it was $500 many people would have thought about it. But alas its not the case.

monstermankc

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I havnt tried FSX.I work with 3D applications and graphics and play games like Crysis and Metro 2033. If i wont notice the difference then I would rather buy the three monitors for 3D. I just get jealous knowing I dont have the best gear. The 980X is pretty bad ass though

If you don't mind upgrading often then you will probably want to wait a few months when AMD & Intel release their new CPUs.

Yes, you are right, the i7 980X won't really help in gaming, the i7 975 is enough.

Being 12 months doesn't impact on performance, unless it's overheating or something from dust accumulating in its fans preventing the fan from cooling the HSF.

..a thousand bucks to upgrade from a 975 to a 980.... OR.... New/Larger monitor??

Monitor - Not even a close decision.

Timop

Distinguished

Informationally behind individuals who lives in an obscure foreign country with too much money on their hands exploring internet trade.

Or your rich uncle who is "trying: to help you pay for "college".

:lol: