Ok so first off here are the specs:
CPU: Celeron e3300 2.5Ghz
Motherboard: Zotac mini itx g45
IGP: Intel GMA X4500HD
RAM: 2 gigs (2 x 1) ddr3 1333 OCZ platinum
HDD: Hitachi 7200 RPM 500GB
Optical drive: Lite-On 4x blu ray drive
PSU: Antec Neo 400W

I was wondering if i should save the money and go with ubuntu. Doe ubuntu support Blu Ray? And does it support the powerdvd8 that comes with blu ray drives? Also, should i go with the 64 bit ubuntu if i do end up getting it, even if this system only has 2 gigs?

Help is appreciated :)
8 answers Last reply
More about htpc ubuntu linux
  1. bump
  2. Well, what are your goals with the computer? Ubuntu is getting a lot more user friendly, but it's still lagging behind windows in media editing and gaming.

Ubuntu is free, don't ever pay for it. I dont know why, but I got this sense of you deciding for which to pay.

I've used Ubuntu for a few years now, and its taken me a while to get used to linux, you still have to do a lot of personal research as problems do arise often, and you do often have to do terminal work. I can, without a doubt, tell you that I have always relied on having a dual boot windows partition on the same computer. Unless you've used linux before, or don't mind reading a lot and learning how to deal with configuration files, go with Windows 7.
  3. Well i dont mind dealing with config files, but i am worried that ubuntu cant play blu rays. Also if it doesnt have hardware acceleration that'd be a problem since the cpu alone probably couldnt handle blu ray.
  4. JustSpiffy said:

What?
  5. Just spiffy linked you a site that talks about all the issues of blueray on Ubuntu.
  6. victomofreality said:
    Just spiffy linked you a site that talks about all the issues of blueray on Ubuntu.

Oh sorry didnt see that it was hyperlinked. And good link btw
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Ubuntu Blu-ray Systems