Sign in with
Your question

BIOS doesn't recognize HDD in AHCI mode

Last response: in Motherboards
March 17, 2011 10:59:30 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm about to rebuild my computer now that I got a replacement motherboard (there was a problem with the memory DIMM slots). Now that I have this new board, I'm wondering how do I get BIOS to reconize my HDD/ODD?

When in IDE mode, BIOS sees both the HDD and the ODD (only connecting one of each). When in AHCI mode, the HDD isn't recognized, and I *think* the ODD isn't recognized either. I'll know for sure tomororw when I go about hooking it up.

But anyways, can you explain why the HDD isn't being recognized when in AHCI mode?

What I mean by not being recognized, the auto detect isn't detecting them.
a b V Motherboard
March 17, 2011 11:24:20 PM

What mother board do you have?
m
l
March 18, 2011 9:25:31 PM

ASRock 870 Extreme3
m
l
Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
March 18, 2011 9:44:52 PM

My assumption is a corruption as listed below - It's best not to have the DVD/ODD on the AHCI SATA ports, use 5th -- the one pointing up. I assume the primary is located on the top SATA port and closest to the MOBO itself.

Also, if you changed from IDE -> AHCI chances are you have a registry corruption. Pull the ODD, boot and assuming Window 7 -> {Mr Fix It} http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 then add the ODD.
m
l
March 19, 2011 9:57:47 PM

This is before any OS is even installed. The BIOS is the one that doesn't register any HDD/ODD when in AHCI mode.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
March 20, 2011 1:37:49 PM

Use IDE Mode to install the OS then 'try' to change to AHCI later -> "When in IDE mode, BIOS sees both the HDD and the ODD" Lastly run the 'Fix It' to correct the registry and restart.

If in AHCI mode the OS isn't being recognized then RMA the MOBO or try flashing BIOS. The issue might b the BIOS recognition verses a BIOS post screen recognition; meaning if in AHCI the BIOS sees it in the Boot order then it's all fine.

Normally: {FYI only}
Typically mixed SATA2 & SATA3 then SATA3 won't show up in the BIOS except in the Boot Order.

However, since they're all SATA3 then my assumption is either it's unformatted {download Formatting tools from HDD OEM site} or it's a bad HDD. I assume both the power and SATA cable is connected. You can also try Clear CMOS - use the Jumper or Clear CMOS button if available.
m
l
March 21, 2011 12:29:15 AM

Well when tested, I did have a bad motherboard, maybe more thanthe DIMM slots were bad. Later tonight I'll be taking this computer down and moving the parts that I will be reusing.

GPU, HDDx2, and PSU
Note: on the HDDs, on this machine they USED to be in raid 1 (mirror) when I first attempted to move over, only 1 HDD was moved over, was formatted tho, and this HDD wasn't touched, since I didn't get the new machine up.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
March 21, 2011 1:21:22 AM

You also need to UNpair the RAID HDD(s) via Ctrl-F or Ctrl-Y {one of the 2}. A clear CMOS will not kill the RAID. The BIOS 'sees' the HDD S/N and places them together.

See the RAID Installation Guide or your Manual -> http://www.asrock.com/mb/manual.asp?Model=870%20Extreme...
m
l
!