Windows 7 - ReadyBoost on a Netbook!

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello,

Not sure where this thread should go, thought storage would be somewhat appropriate...

I just learned of this new/old feature called Readyboost that I could use to speed up my slow netbook! I thought I would try it out when I have the time, but I would to ask for some comments/opinions on the whole idea at the same time.

So this is going to happen on my 1 year old Gateway LT21 netbook (I heard it doesn't help on high end PCs anyway):

Specs:
Intel Atom N450 1.66Ghz (Single Core w/ Hyper Threading)
Kingston 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 SODIMM RAM
Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

Now, I just found an old MicroSD card w/ Adapter... the specifications lead me to believe this is a 2GB Class 4 SD card. I am wondering if this is sufficient for ReadyBoost to present a noticeable increase in performance, or should I try looking for something more?

Should I be getting a card with larger capacity? There must be a limit to the performance increase...
Is Class 10 significantly better?
Is a MicroSD worse than a regular SD?

Also, what type of performance increase should I be expecting?
A faster windows boot/shutdown?
Faster application loading time?
More responsive/snappier system?
All of the above?
None of the above?

Thanks!

rex000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply Area51reopened.

The links above were indeed helpful, but I couldn't find the answers to the specific questions I was asking.

I wonder... maybe I'm just too curious. I am most likely giong to use this SD card regardless.... T~T