Solved

2 x ATI HD5770 Crossfire power requirements?

Hi folks,

Looking at buying a HD5770 card, and need a new PSU - I only have a 350W at the moment but looking at buying a Thermaltake 650W PSU.

What I'm wondering is, would this 650W PSU be able to run a system plus 2 x HD5770's running in Crossfire? I ask as, although I am only getting one for now, the PSU has a lifetime warranty, so I don't want to have to upgrade the PSU again any time soon to get extra power out of my cards.

Thanks :)

EDIT: fixing SLI/Crossfire mistake
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hd5770 crossfire power requirements
  1. Best answer
    650W is plenty for 2 x 5770's

    BTW because a HD5770 is a ATi card, two together is crossfire, not Sli. (Sli is for nVidia cards).
  2. I think you will need 750W, but it depends on your configuration.

    Try this one: http://www.antec.outervision.com/

    Hope it helps=)
  3. Darth Windu said:
    buying a Thermaltake 650W PSU
    Which Thermaltake 650W PSU?
    Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M $80 a/r and $6 shipping. 44Amps +12v power
    Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W $80 a/r and free shipping. 54Amps +12v power
  4. The one I'm looking at is the 650W Toughpower QFan. Oh I'm in Australia too, I keep forgetting to mention that. :)

    Thanks for the info though guys, nice to know I'll be somewhat future-proofed with it, much appreciated.
  5. Best answer selected by Darth Windu.
  6. Darth Windu said:
    The one I'm looking at is the 650W Toughpower QFan. Oh I'm in Australia too, I keep forgetting to mention that. :)

    Thanks for the info though guys, nice to know I'll be somewhat future-proofed with it, much appreciated.


    Have you ended up getting the 650W Toughpower QFan from Thermaltake ?

    I got this same model and apparently cannot use it for CrossfireX.
  7. Really? In the booklet it says it can do it and it definately has the cables for it.
  8. Darth Windu said:
    Really? In the booklet it says it can do it and it definately has the cables for it.


    My model is W0163 and it has 3x 6-pin PCIe connectors - every Radeon 5870 card requires two 6-pin PCIe connectors.

    I was told on a different thread that there are MOLEX-to-6pin-PCIe cables to use for that purpose though.
  9. MaxxxPayne said:
    My model is W0163 and it has 3x 6-pin PCIe connectors - every Radeon 5870 card requires two 6-pin PCIe connectors.

    I was told on a different thread that there are MOLEX-to-6pin-PCIe cables to use for that purpose though.

    I've the same model, though I want to crossfire twp 5770's, not the 5870.

    Having said that, the W0163 has
    1 x native 8-pin
    2 x 6-pin connectors
    1 x 8-pin --> 6-pin connector

    So you essentially have three 6-pin connectors (the 5770 only needs one) so for the 5870 all you'd need is one more 8-pin --> 6-pin connector.
  10. You're correct.

    This PSU model is really quiet, compared to my previous Silverstone 750W PSU.

    I've recently moved from a Zalman 2-ball bearing CPU heatsink/fan, to the CoolIT ECO A.L.C. hybrid liquid CPU cooling, and the system became even more quiet thanks to that - I recommend both the W0163 PSU and the ECO to anyone who wants a silent, yet efficient system.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Power ATI Graphics Product