Sign in with
Your question

Installing new hard drive error

Last response: in Storage
August 14, 2012 12:51:05 AM

Ok, so I'm installing my new hard drive on my hp desktop because mines failing atm. I only backed up needed files on a external hard drive so I can have a fresh new hard drive. The new hard drive is the same as the old one. So I replaced it, booted it up, the BIOS recognizes it, but when I try to install windows 7 with the install disk. I get a bootmgr is missing. I couldn't find anything to help, but thats the error get whenever I try anything. Anyone have any idea what the issue is?
a b G Storage
August 14, 2012 1:20:50 AM

Bootmgr is the program that checks for what OS you have installed(so if you had a win7 bootmgr, it checks your harddrive for win7 and the older versions of windows for boot options). Can I ask one question, is the disk you are using to install windows 7 a upgrade copy or a full retail licence.

I am also assuming that that new hard drive is the only hard drive that is plugged in at the moment.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 14, 2012 1:37:21 AM

if that is what you purchased, no thats a retail copy(which is good in the long run, if you ever want to change motherboards as well). are you sure that the new hard drive is wiped clean entirely, and theres no traces of data on it? Is the dvd drive on priority to boot inside the bios?
m
l
August 14, 2012 1:56:32 AM

Well I'm assuming theres nothing in it, is there anyway to check or clean it? when all I can do is bring up the boot up menu and that error appearing?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 14, 2012 1:59:15 AM

go into the bios, check for the boot order, as well as if the drive is in IDE or Achi mode.
m
l
August 14, 2012 2:41:33 AM

my sata controller mode is set on raid not IDE or AHCI, what should my boot order be?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 14, 2012 2:45:57 AM

it should be on ACHI unless you were doing a raid setup. boot order before installing windows should be Optical Drive first. after you install windows, the first boot order should be the Drive with the OS on
m
l
August 14, 2012 2:49:22 AM

Ok I changed raid to AHCI
This is my boot order
1st - CD-ROM Group
2nd - Hard Drive Group
3rd - Floppy Group
4th - Network Boot Group

Is everything in the right order?
m
l
a b G Storage
August 14, 2012 2:49:54 AM

yes i would assume
m
l
August 14, 2012 2:55:17 AM

ok now I'm gettting reboot and selet proper boot device
m
l
a b G Storage
August 14, 2012 3:07:02 AM

my i offer some odd advice, unplug the sata cable from the mobo side connecting to the disk drive and hard drive, and use it on another sata port. there's that tiny chance that one of them is working wrong.
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:18:17 AM

Didn't do anything, my old hard drive works, so I don't think its a connection issue
m
l
August 14, 2012 3:36:01 AM

FOUND THE ISSUE, My cable connected to my disk drive, its working now!
m
l
!