Just a bit over my head ...

OLdSKuul62

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Hello I am beyond green when it comes to most anything to do with computers . I do know some stuff , But a lot of the terminology leaves me scratching my head . I seem to spend more time using the Wiki than getting anything else done.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX240 / 1.7 Gigs and an obscenely small amount of memory .
No matter what I end up doing intend on upgrading that very soon.
I have several questions

1 ) Can I swap out the current 256 megabyte memory card and replace it with the 512 ?
2 ) If so, Is there anything that must be done in order to make it work ? Or will it boot up without problems ?
Remember very green !

I have heard differing stories . I would like to get the full Gig of ram if possible .

Also as green as I may be , I always enjoy a good challenge provided that it is feasible. My problem is the plethora of information on the internet mixed with my inexperience with Computer terminology etc leaves me staring at a computer screen for hours and not necessarily anything gained by doing so . This website was the first one I ran into that had a string about My series of computer that wasn't dated at least 5 years or so. That is why I joined.

I have every intention on either a ) buying a new computer or b ) Building a new computer - from scratch . I love to tinker with stuff and computers are something I wouldn't mind knowing how to tear down and rebuild .

I have read several posts from many other sites and almost everyone is in agreement that my computer is past its prime . This I understand .

What I would like to know is whether It would be feasible to put a completely different motherboard in ( I have a small tower ) ... Something along the lines of a Quadcore is what I would really like to do . I have found some boards and chips rather inexpensive ... But have no idea as to whether or not I could use it .

The idea is to get a much newer and faster computer for cheap until I can afford to dish out the money for a new one .
I don't want to buy a new case . It seems that there must be something out there that would allow me to create this Frankenstein !

I would really appreciate any ideas that may occur to someone provided I could do this for under $300 or or so dollars . Some of the motherboard and chipsets are pushing it real close to that amount . I am guessing that I will need a new power supply But can't figure what other must haves I will need.

I am really hoping that this could work . It would keep me happy for a few months until I can really invest in something new . Plus it would help me gain some experience . I really would like to build a new comp. But I need something a little more powerful in the here and now , And I am still not exactly sure just what kind of computer I want...

I have read that multi core computers have their upsides and some rather hideous downsides . I figure a little time with one might let me make up my own mind ....

Solution
It's Really hard to build your own computer from scratch for $300 budget. The operating system alone is $90, that doesn't leave much to work with. I'd go with an off the shelf if you spending less than $400--$500, the economies of scale are hard to beat

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-560/pd

This isn't a game machine but it'll do wonders for basic business software and websurfing.....

Descendant

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
From the look of the architectural build of this tower, I would personally not recommend it for use for a new PC build. From the pictures I was able to round up the tower has little to nothing for air ventilation and also would not fit a regular sized ATX motherbaord in it.

And about your aspiration of building a new computer for less then $300 that is a Quadcore, is quite a challenage. I don`t see it happening. I`ll list the items you`ll be looking at purchasing if you want to build a new PC.

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Video card
CD/DVD ROM
HHD
Power Supply
Computer Case

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
If all you want to do is increase the memory in that ancient Dell, this is what you want. According to the Dell manual you should have 2 memory slots. Just add this and you will get 512 Mb of memory. Pretty pricey but that memory has probably been out of production for more than 15 years. http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/system_memory/brand,dell
Dell48WJW DELL -256MB PC-133 DIMM 168-PIN SDRAM GENUINE DELL MEMORY (48WJW). REFU.

If you want a full 1 Gig of memory you will have to buy 2 512kb memory modules.
https://www.serversupply.com/MFGR/DELL/MEMORY/PC -133/
Cheers :D
Delroy

jb6684

Distinguished
It's Really hard to build your own computer from scratch for $300 budget. The operating system alone is $90, that doesn't leave much to work with. I'd go with an off the shelf if you spending less than $400--$500, the economies of scale are hard to beat

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-560/pd

This isn't a game machine but it'll do wonders for basic business software and websurfing.....

Solution

OLdSKuul62

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

I was afraid of that. I do know that the new hardware has a tendency of running on the hot side .

I just have seen so many Motherboards and etc running at a fairly economical price , I thought just maybe a little kit bashing could be done . But I was fairly sure what the answer would be but I had to put it out there , just in case !

I thank you for your time to reply

PS Is there any good place to find info on multi cores ? The little bit I have read on the subject has left me on the fence. I have read both good and bad things about multi cores and would like to garner a little more info.

One of the downsides I read was that it could be easier to get a virus and that an anti-viral program might not even know it's there.

Also There was mention of not many programs make full use of the abilities of these chips . That seems kind of strange since it seems that the chip makers seem focused on multi core tech instead of clock speeds these days.

Of course I am full aware that I may be wrong , I have not read many articles pertaining to this subject.

But I am leaning toward at least a quad core in the future . If you can't help that is fine . I do thank you for your time .

OLdSKuul62

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

Thanks I have found a full gig for around $39.00 New in box at Amazon But am unsure as to how well it would work . The cost is about 40% off from a couple of 512 chips .

No problem for swapping out the existing ram then ?

I am in a small money crunch just now , so I need to get this machine working to it's fullest potential until I can afford to either buy a new one or build a new one .

Thank you for responding . : )

OLdSKuul62

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

Thank you very much for the link ! I just may go this route for now, until I can afford and decide what machine to buy or build .

I spent a little time at Dell before , But I had no idea that they had machines going for so little . Most of the stuff I saw at that price were refurbished and generally older computers too. From the tiny sneak peek I took , It looks very healthy compared to my old one .

Thank you for your time to respond ! :D