Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitors and gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 13, 2010 5:06:50 PM

Hey guys. Here's the spex currently:

AMD PII 965
4gb 800mhz ocz sli ready memory (soon to be pc12800 g.skill)
K9N2 SLI Platinum AM2+ Motherboard 750a sli chipset with 8x8x support for dual video cards (Soon to be Msi G-65 am3, 16x16x for dual cards)
2x BFG GTX 275 oc editions.
1x 24in lcd and 1x 21.5in lcd.

My goal is to run my games on one monitor while having the second to surf the web etc. To get it to be as seamless and functional as I need it to be I need to run my games in windowed maximized otherwise the second monitor is just viewable when first monitor is in full screen mode.

Problem is when I run windowed maximized the gameing performance goes down very considerably. Some cases 20+ fps. I run several utility programs and while monitoring them I noticed the vid cards and the cpu loads are also both down. I smell a bottleneck on the motherboard and ram but I would really like somebody else's point of view on this. Is it really a bottleneck issue or is there something I am missing, that is the question...

Thanks in advance for any effort to help in the matter.

More about : dual monitors gaming

May 14, 2010 9:34:27 PM

Bump. Just hoping someone else has had similar issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 10:24:32 PM

I know what you're referring to, and it has to do with the application itself.

So for example: Let's say your maximum desktop resolution is 1680x1050. And then let's take World of Warcraft and run it maximized instead of full screen mode at 1680x1050 resolution. You'll get a reduction in FPS because of the way the Application runs at Maximized vs Full Screen mode, and for me on my GTX 285, it is actually about a 10-20 fps drop (not that it really matters, I still hit 60 anyway).

EDIT: Note that I have a single monitor, so this will happen regardless if you have one or two

This happens in most games. Now I could be talking out of my bum here, but for dual monitors, I "believe" there's a way to make a game run in "full screen mode" on one monitor, while achieving the "maximized window" effect that allows you to scroll your mouse over. Again, I could be mistaken, but I believe that's possible. Can someone else verify this for me?
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 1:59:57 AM

Boris you know precisely what I mean and yes that would be great if we could get another reply on that. Very curious to know. I have noticed the same issue while using one monitor before as well, i should have mentioned.

Strange I didn't get an email noty when you replied or I would have replied sooner.
m
l
May 24, 2010 8:42:15 PM

I read a tip about upping the pre-rendered frames to smooth out microstutter and for me it worked like a charm for my issue with dual monitors.
m
l
!