Sign in with
Your question

G.Skill (2 x 2GB) causing blue screens only during gaming

Last response: in Memory
March 18, 2011 2:08:42 AM

I posted in the CPU forum about my entire problem in general about BSOD'ing during gameplay and I finally figured out that it was my memory. Here's a link to it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here are its specifications:

TIMING: 5-5-5-15
OPERATING VOLTAGE: 1.8v

Because the version of my BIOS is old, I am unable to adjust the settings of the timings and voltages via the BIOS so I made sure to pick RAM that has the same exact specifications as the stick of RAM that came with the computer. I experience no BSOD's when Windows loads and I experience no BSOD's when I surf the web, watch videos, and chat with people. I'll only crash if I'm using the G.Skill RAM and I'm gaming.

I have already read my motherboard's specifications and it says that it's compatible with PC2-6400 (which I'm using), non-ECC, unbuffered RAM. All of these things match and after running memtest86+ for 7 passes, it came up with no errors--the memory was completely clean.

I know the BSOD's were caused by this RAM because when I took them out and popped in my old RAM, I could game for hours without crashing.

So, what should I do at this point? The last set of RAM that I purchased was A-DATA RAM and installing that would cause me to crash when I loaded up my desktop (so I assumed DOA). I'm pretty frustrated with this computer as I've been experiencing these problems for the past week and I've been trying to find the culprit of this entire thing. Please help me out. Thanks!
a b } Memory
March 18, 2011 3:10:04 AM

You've linked DDR3 ram, which you say your not running.

Put the ram back in, and run memtest on it. When it comes up bad, RMA it.
m
l
March 18, 2011 3:28:30 AM

4745454b said:
You've linked DDR3 ram, which you say your not running.

Put the ram back in, and run memtest on it. When it comes up bad, RMA it.

I fixed the link. Sorry about that.

I already ran memtest86+, and the memory came out clean.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2011 10:36:14 AM

if your ram aint the same timing and MHZ and your overclocking. well you can say hello blue screen. make sure your MHZ of both are stable or same.
m
l
March 18, 2011 1:08:52 PM

Try manually setting the frequency and RAM timings in your BIOS.
m
l
March 18, 2011 6:02:39 PM

mdsiu said:
Try manually setting the frequency and RAM timings in your BIOS.

As I said in my original post, my BIOS is too old and it doesn't allow me to adjust the settings.

I am not overclocking my RAM and, like I said before, I made sure to get RAM that matched the 5-5-5-18 timing and 1.8v so there wouldn't be any compatibility issues.

Any ideas, guys? Do you think that a faulty power supply, when at its peak load (during a game) can cause memory malfunctions? This memory is completely clean...
m
l
March 19, 2011 11:26:15 AM

Make sure your running memtest correctly. I had issues with ram before, and I ran memtest for only one pass. This led me to believe it was clean. Run memtest for 8+ passes. This will take until overnight.

edit: I found errors in my 7th pass. The more passes the better.
m
l
March 19, 2011 11:02:35 PM

maziar321 said:
Make sure your running memtest correctly. I had issues with ram before, and I ran memtest for only one pass. This led me to believe it was clean. Run memtest for 8+ passes. This will take until overnight.

edit: I found errors in my 7th pass. The more passes the better.

Well, I tested my RAM again for the third time, and after 9 passes, it showed no errors.

Could the culprit be the power supply?
m
l
March 20, 2011 12:01:20 AM

Here's the thing, the psu always has the potential to be a problem. Try your system with a doffrent psu, then post again if the problem persists.
m
l
!