Do these differ other than clock speeds?

datagram

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Stock - ASUS EAH5850 DIRECTCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Overclock - ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity

I'm trying to decide which of these I should purchase. The stock card is cheaper, but incurs a shipping charge: $328 total. The overclocked card has free shipping, and the price drops by $30 to $310 total if I purchase it with a Phenom II X4 955 BE (and I will be purchasing this CPU).

Solution
With the $30 combo discount and free shipping the OC edition is the cheaper one and figure the OC'd version should be slightly higher binned chips (not to say the stock version couldn't OC as high but the OC version has the warranty if the OC becomes unstable where the stock version might not if you tell them you OC'd it !) - So in this case I'd go for the combo and save the $
With the $30 combo discount and free shipping the OC edition is the cheaper one and figure the OC'd version should be slightly higher binned chips (not to say the stock version couldn't OC as high but the OC version has the warranty if the OC becomes unstable where the stock version might not if you tell them you OC'd it !) - So in this case I'd go for the combo and save the $

Solution

datagram

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

You make good points about the higher binned chips and OC playing into the warranty. I hadn't thought of either of those. I agree with you all, and I'll be getting the OC card.

Any HD5850 should really be able to reach that factory OC so I doubt they are binned. As for the warranty i doubt they differ at all. The card is specifically advertised on it's overclocking abilities.
So basically it's price that should decide things.

datagram

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

Sure, but it makes sense that they are possibly higher binned, just as the case is when it comes to CPUs and RAM. I think the point was that OC'ing would maybe have no effect on the warranty because the card comes OC'd. Regardless, price still dictates that I buy the OC'd card.