I've just successfully upgraded from WIN2K to WINXP. There is one problem,
however: I need to bring over the identities with their separate desktops.
This is my home computer and I have just a few family-member users. I would
like to start with the Administrator and my wife.

The old WIN2000 system is sitting on my old E-drive of my original HDD,
while my new WINXP is on the G-drive of my recently-acquired new, 80GB HDD,
in partition 0 (1 of 4 part'ns). So, it shouldn't be too difficult, if
there is any facility available. It wouldn't be some option of the files
and settings transfer wizard, would it?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

You might want to check out User State Migration Tool at (url may wrap)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4AF2D2C9-F16C-4C52-A203-8DAF944DD555&displaylang=en

hth

george

"Paul J. Perillo" <paul.perillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I've just successfully upgraded from WIN2K to WINXP. There is one
> problem,
> however: I need to bring over the identities with their separate
> desktops.
> This is my home computer and I have just a few family-member users. I
> would
> like to start with the Administrator and my wife.
>
> The old WIN2000 system is sitting on my old E-drive of my original HDD,
> while my new WINXP is on the G-drive of my recently-acquired new, 80GB
> HDD,
> in partition 0 (1 of 4 part'ns). So, it shouldn't be too difficult, if
> there is any facility available. It wouldn't be some option of the files
> and settings transfer wizard, would it?
>
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Will this work for me after I've done the system change, as I said I had?

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You might want to check out User State Migration Tool at (url may wrap)
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4AF2D2C9-F16C-4C52-A203-8DAF944DD555&displaylang=en
>
> hth
>
> george
>

> "Paul J. Perillo" <paul.perillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I've just successfully upgraded from WIN2K to WINXP. There is one
>> problem,
>> however: I need to bring over the identities with their separate
>> desktops.
>> This is my home computer and I have just a few family-member users. I
>> would
>> like to start with the Administrator and my wife.
>>
>> The old WIN2000 system is sitting on my old E-drive of my original HDD,
>> while my new WINXP is on the G-drive of my recently-acquired new, 80GB
>> HDD,
>> in partition 0 (1 of 4 part'ns). So, it shouldn't be too difficult, if
>> there is any facility available. It wouldn't be some option of the files
>> and settings transfer wizard, would it?
>>
>> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Given, as you state, that the old system is still available on a seperate
partition, I'm going to assume that you can still boot to it (through
startup choice?).
In that case you can run these utilities (FAST and/or USMT) in the old
situation to 'export' and in the new situation to 'import'.
Notably FAST (File And Settings Transfer) wizard asks you if you're
currently dealing with the old or the new system.
USMT is command line driven

> Will this work for me after I've done the system change, as I said I had?
>
> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You might want to check out User State Migration Tool at (url may wrap)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4AF2D2C9-F16C-4C52-A203-8DAF944DD555&displaylang=en
>>
>> hth
>>
>> george
>>

>> "Paul J. Perillo" <paul.perillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> I've just successfully upgraded from WIN2K to WINXP. There is one
>>> problem,
>>> however: I need to bring over the identities with their separate
>>> desktops.
>>> This is my home computer and I have just a few family-member users. I
>>> would
>>> like to start with the Administrator and my wife.
>>>
>>> The old WIN2000 system is sitting on my old E-drive of my original HDD,
>>> while my new WINXP is on the G-drive of my recently-acquired new, 80GB
>>> HDD,
>>> in partition 0 (1 of 4 part'ns). So, it shouldn't be too difficult, if
>>> there is any facility available. It wouldn't be some option of the
>>> files
>>> and settings transfer wizard, would it?
>>>
>>> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, this sounds like it might be do-able!