SATA-IDE CONVERTER

G

Hello,

i have just built myself a custom system and had a spare IDE HDD, my motherboard only supports SATA so I purchesed a bi-directional converter (IDE-SATA & SATA-IDE) but for some reason my computer wont detect the IDE HDD. I have connected power cable etc. I have tried changing the SATA cables ect but nothing works?????

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
These kind of things happens to HDD converters. Pay attention to the LED on the converter's PCB, make sure it's lit. Make sure to place the IDE connection is correct, since you might slip a pin width. Also make sure the SATA connection is firm, a loose one will give you faulty readings. If all of the above doesn't work, try a new converter. It might be the converter that's faulty.

BTW, are you sure the MB only supports SATA? I'm pretty sure IDE sockets is always included in a standard MB. Why don't you upload some pictures about your issue, we'll see what we can do to help.

Good luck!

G

the LED light comes on and I have checked all the wires, must be a fauly unit. Just wanted to make sure there wasnt something else that I had to do once I had fitted it

thanks

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

You must mean the high class ones, since the standard cheap ones, like my Biostar 790GX still have IDE sockets for IDE HDD or OD. Or maybe I haven't seen the latest ones yet...

I guess the IDE meets the same fate as AGP slots. Well, dead tech or not, people are actually still using it.... :na: