Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Combining Sata ii and Sata iii

Last response: in Storage
August 14, 2012 4:19:56 PM

Hi guys. I've little experience regarding hard drives so I tought it might be better to ask before doing anything. I've 2 HDDs at the moment, one is 1tb and the other 500gb (I believe both are sata ii) . Anyway I'm running a bit out of space so I tought I could add another one (3tb sata iii) in replacement for the 500gb disk, or maybe just keep them all. My question is, can I connect the sata iii having another 2 sata ii hard drives? Or they have to be all sata iii. Thanks a lot

More about : combining sata sata iii

Best solution

a c 326 G Storage
August 14, 2012 5:35:57 PM

Yes, they play together fine. The only issue is whether your motherboard bios will handle a larger than 2.2Tb HDD, all the newer boards do so it depends how old your system is, here is some info on the issue: http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_ne...
August 16, 2012 3:00:19 PM

I just did it and it worked just fine, I had a bit of trouble because windows doesn't recognize partitions bigger than 2.2tb, but I used the tool from seagate and now it's all ok. Thanks a bunch
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2012 3:02:06 PM

Best answer selected by davemaster84.
m
l
a c 326 G Storage
August 16, 2012 3:10:15 PM

davemaster84 said:
I just did it and it worked just fine, I had a bit of trouble because windows doesn't recognize partitions bigger than 2.2tb, but I used the tool from seagate and now it's all ok. Thanks a bunch
Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that a 64 bit version of Windows or an add on tool was needed on the OS side.
m
l
!