Sign in with
Your question

Win98 won't turn off machine on shutdown

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
November 5, 2001 3:48:27 PM

A friend has one of those "consumer PCs", a Compaq Presario. It had so much crap pre-installed that it took about 2 minutes to boot up. I backed up her files and then put a new hard drive in, and proceeded to do a fresh install of Win98 plus all the drivers and the apps she really uses. All of this went OK with no more than the usual glitches. However, now, whenever she shuts windows down, instead of turning the machine off like it used to she gets the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen. Like, what's up with that? Anything I can do to get it to work properly?

P.S. I should add that the Win98 I installed came from a spare copy I had lying around (I moved my own system to ME) and was not exactly the copy that she got with the system (either Compaq didn't bother supplying her with an installation CD or she lost it over the years). But back when I was using this exact same Win98 in my A7V133-based system the shutdown feature was working properly.

More about : win98 turn machine shutdown

November 7, 2001 2:31:02 PM

I have had this problem but it doesn't do it all the time. I just turn the power switch off when it does this. I upgraded to XP and it doesn't alway power off either. This doesn't cause any problems. Now that I think of it I don't think I even get the power down message just the screen before the 'It's ok to turn your computer off'.

A Child of the King,
Kinnie
Anonymous
November 8, 2001 11:39:50 AM

hmm...it's normally the casing that matters...
!