Ilnez

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hey,

So I recently (in the last week) purchased a new computer with a Seagate drive as a secondary. I hear a very loud whining noise. This happens even when idle. It's loud enough to hear it from roughly 1m away (not through my closed-ear headset though) but it stops after I disconnect the HDD. I ran a Seatools test and it didn't pop anything for me but I will redo it when I get home.

old drives or drives that the lub gone bad can whine..I had old test bed with drives that do that...some keep on going and going and going and you just want to shoot the drive. before you do anything see if the drive under warranty and can be replaced.
if it out i would use it till it crapped out.

Ilnez

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
It's brand new (4 days old, assembled the comp last thursday). Not only is it under warranty but I have NCIX's express RMA.

All that being said they seem to say they will not replace it unless Seatools finds something wrong with it.

tell them the drive has a bad berring (is hums loudly). just make sure that it the drive and not the drive vibrating the case and making the whole case hum. (check that you used the rubber anti vibration o-rings.) try running the hard drive in your hand and see if hums. if the computer vendors does not want to help get your credit card company involved. (ie do a charge back if the wont honors there warranty.)

Ilnez

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
It's not so much a humm as a piercing squeel. The closest sound I can think of is ' a ringing in your ears'.

You know that extremely obnoxious loud monotone sound? Yeah, that one.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I would fight for a replacement. Really i only shop at Newegg or i would walk into Best Buy for computer equipment. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't get a replacement. But yeah if the company won't exchange your product talk to your credit card and let them know you made a purchase, the store won't let you exchange it when they know the product is faulty and see if they can reimburse you or something. If the bearings are bad in the drive it'll eventually fail. Especially if your hearing a piercing squeal that sounds like a bad hard drive. You could also talk to the manufacture, let them know what's wrong and if your on the phone with them you can let them hear the sound its making.