PLEASE ANSWER.WHICH GRAPHICS CARD SHOULD I BUY

chrissmartin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I have ASUS MN268-AM PLUS motherboard.1.25 GB of DDR2 RAM.AMD ATHLON II X2 240 @3.2 GHz.ASUS EN8400GS 512 MB graphics card.
Which graphics card should i buy next.i am looking for a powerful,futureproof graphics card at very low cost under 95$.i am using only 1024 X 768 resolution.i want to play gta iv,crysis warhead.i also want to play the upcoming crysis 2.

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

^ +1

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
There is no such thing as future proofing a GPU with under $100.
Like the above have said, the 5670 is plenty for your resolution and should do until the day you upgrade your entire system (assuming you do not buy a bigger monitor anytime soon)

randomkid

Distinguished

Agree. In fact there is no such thing as future proofing even for $400 GPU. :)
B
ut on a relative term, the OP may mean futureproof as the ability to handle higher resolution should he decide to upgrade the monitor. Based on reviews, the HD5670 can handle Crysis up to 1920x1200 although not with highest setting, i.e. No AA, No AF so that should be futureproof enough for him, I think... So it is a good way to go and a nice match to his system too.

randomkid

Distinguished

It says "can't cope very well" not "can't cope". Therefore it can cope ( but not very well). What does the chart say? At average it does play at 42fps. 42fps is good. And like I said, at 1920x1080 which is 11% less pixels, it should perform a little better.
26fps minimum is not too bad also. Have you tried playing at 26fps? Well I did and I can't sense the difference when it is above 30fps. So I say it is playable.

Yes, but the article shows exactly what I said while you seemed to be presenting it as something that contradicts me. For the game to be playable at that resolution you will need to not just turn AA/AF off but put the settings down to medium/low. Crysis is an alright game but it's main attraction is that it looks incredible. Might as well just wait until you have a set-up that can properly handle the game.

randomkid

Distinguished
Actually, you contradicted me first when you said "Crysis + 1920x1200 + HD5670 = No" without considering that I have already said "although NOT with highest setting"

I just clarified what I said by putting the link that you asked for and explained that 42fps is not bad. The OP is just going to play 1024x768. I said the HD 5670 is good for that and just added that if he want future proofing for his budget it can even handle Crysis but NOT at Highest Setting. It is up to him when the time comes that he have a 1920x1080 to decide what is better? playing at 1024x768 at max setting or at 1920x1080 at low/med setting. How good it looks is subjective anyway so up to him. IF he have the budget the next time then we can recommend other video cards for him. But for now, the HD5670 is alright.

For good measure I also tried crisis in minimum with no AA and its not really bad. Unless you play with 2 games side by side with one at enthusiast and the other at minimum, you probably wont feel the difference unless you are really looking for it.

If you want future proof then you may end up buying a 5850/70. However you are only playing at this time at 1024x758 then yes a meager 5670 would do till something comes along that needs more. I suggest you get something along the lines of a 9800gt 1Gb (used is cheaper), a used 4850 or if you are lucky a GTS250. GTA IV is a bitch of a game when it comes to hardware but you already have a decent cpu for the job but it works best on a single powerful gpu. Having owned two sli rigs on three different card setups with a elcheapo 8800gtx beating them all.

Yes, and I'll say it again. No. That card should not be used for Crysis at that resolution and you said that it's ability to handle such shows that the card is reasonably "futureproof" and suggested that turning off AA/AF would do the trick, not turning down everything to low/medium. As I said earlier just because something is playable at low settings doesn't mean it's a good idea and the worst place to do so would be on a game renowned for it's amazing graphics like Crysis.

randomkid

Distinguished

Fine, but I guess you are speaking for yourself. The person with a limited budget will have to settle with what they can afford at the time and there's nothing wrong if they play Crysis in minimum setting. That is the reason why it have "minimum" setting after all: To allow those who do not have the money to buy the components that will max out the game.

chrissmartin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
i have AMD ATHLON II X2 240 @3.2 GHz,ASUS MN268-AM PLUS.1.25GB DDR2 333 MHz of RAM.ASUS EN8400GS 883MB video memory.I am using 1024 X 768 resolution.

i want to play new games.crysis warhead, etc...
i want to buy a new graphics card.i am living in india.i am on a tight budget.
i want a graphics card under RS4500.I prefer nvidia more.please tell me a good graphics card,please help me.

RS 4500 = $100 USD approximately, but outside of the US, things tend to be a bit more expensive so I'm supposing the best choice for you would be the 9800 GT, or GTS 250 if you can afford it/it is RS 4500 over there. The Radeon HD 4770 and 4850 are good choices as well.

TRENDING THREADS