Crucial M4 SSD - Random BSOD and freezing

aliasxneo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Greetings,

I purchased a Crucial M4 SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442) a little less than a year ago and have recently started experiencing problems. At first I noticed that my computer was randomly restarting, and sometimes would restart into an old version of Windows which I had installed on a TB Samsung HD I have installed alongside the M4. I thought this was weird because I have my boot order setup to boot the M4 first.

Well, I finally caught the problem in action. Programs stopped responding, and then Windows stopped responding, and then after a minute or two a BSOD popped up for a few seconds and the computer restarted itself. It then proceeded to boot into the old version of Windows on the Samsung. I restarted and went into the BIOS to investigate the issue, and to my surprise the M4 was no longer there. It simply wasn't recognized as being connected.

So naturally I shut down the computer and pulled out the SSD and took a look at it. I can't see any physical damage, and the connections seemed to be fine. I plugged it back in, and it worked fine for awhile, but about a couple of hours later the exact same problem happened again.

I think it's too old to RMA through Newegg, but does anyone happen to have a clue what might be going wrong? Any insight is appreciated. cheers.

aliasxneo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

Well, seeing as my computer is on 24/7 90% of the time then that article seems to fit the cause. I went ahead and update the firmware (was on 0002). I'll post back in a few hours and confirm if it fixed the problem. Cheers mate :)

aliasxneo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

As in one MBR on the M4 and one on the Samsung? I don't use the Samsung anymore, replaced it with the M4 and have just been using it to store obscure files I don't really need on a daily basis (even though there's still an old Windows 7 installation on it). I've been meaning to install Linux on it so I can dual boot, but I can't get any of the distro's to work since they all tell me that no usable HD was found to install under (another unrelated problem I've been having).

aliasxneo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

Well, quite a few hours later and no random BSOD/restart. Thanks for the help :)