Sign in with
Your question

I5 or AMD Phenom X6?

Last response: in CPUs
August 19, 2010 10:35:28 PM

Hello,
I am wondering which processor is better for serious gaming. I will not be doing SLI, I think.. Also, which one is better just all around..

More about : amd phenom

August 19, 2010 10:39:13 PM

well first off if u are considering dual video cards i would go with ATI, they're fail rate is much better then Nvidias right now and u normaly get more bang for th buck. but between the 2 cpu i would say the i5 might be a little bit better due to the hyperthread (creating virtual cores) they are not a powerful as real core but help out none the less, but normaly AMD is a bit cheaper. so i would go with AMD unless money isnt a prob then the i5, but honestly i dont think i will know the difference, as long as u have enough RAM and a good video card
Related resources
August 19, 2010 10:47:29 PM

aprillia99 said:
well first off if u are considering dual video cards i would go with ATI, they're fail rate is much better then Nvidias right now and u normaly get more bang for th buck. but between the 2 cpu i would say the i5 might be a little bit better due to the hyperthread (creating virtual cores) they are not a powerful as real core but help out none the less, but normaly AMD is a bit cheaper. so i would go with AMD unless money isnt a prob then the i5, but honestly i dont think i will know the difference, as long as u have enough RAM and a good video card

Hmm..do I5 have Hyperthreading?
August 19, 2010 10:50:31 PM

The i5 will be a better gaming processor due to its better architecture and higher clock rate. Games don't take advantage of more than 4 cores, so an i5-750/760 is enough in terms of that (the Phenom II X6 will perform much better for heavy workloads such as video encoding). In Fact, the i5-750/760 is probably one of the best possible processors for gaming. If you were considering going the AMD platform route and don't need to do rendering/transcoding, then go with a Phenom II X4 instead of the X6.

Also, 2x GTX 460s are really good as far as 2 graphics cards go.
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2010 10:50:44 PM

Gaming most likely the i5.Here is a benchmark comparison between the older i5 750 and the much more expensive Phenom II X6 1090T.You can find other benchmarks as well.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=146
There is a faster i5-760 available now too so it would bench higher than the 750.
I still haven't seen any benchmark for comparison for flight simulator X between these 2 CPU's so for that particular application it's still a mystery but FSX can effectively utilize 6 cores (rare) so it is possible that the 6 core AMD CPU actually might run better or that the benches on those 2 CPU's might be close.
I would say that all around you would be better off with the i5 preferably the 760.
August 19, 2010 11:35:12 PM

Okay, then which i5 should I get? Which one is the best, but on the cheaper end on newegg?
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 19, 2010 11:44:12 PM

I5 750 or i5 760 .. either one would be an excellent choice.

Do you live near a MicroCenter store? They have an instore offer on the i5 760 for $170.
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 12:33:10 AM

aprillia99 said:
yes i belive all the I series do now u made me doubt myself have to go check.........
WHEW yes it does lol, dodge a bullet there but they all support it even the i3

edit

link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There is no hyper-threading on i-750 or 760, but they are both great gaming CPUs.
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 12:33:45 AM

WR2 said:
I5 750 or i5 760 .. either one would be an excellent choice.

Do you live near a MicroCenter store? They have an instore offer on the i5 760 for $170.

That is an awesome deal. I might grab one of these for myself.
a c 131 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 20, 2010 4:13:27 AM

aprillia99 said:
yes i belive all the I series do now u made me doubt myself have to go check.........
WHEW yes it does lol, dodge a bullet there but they all support it even the i3

Only the dual core i5 support it. the i5 quad does not have it. If it did, it would be an i7 :) 

If you have no plans to use more than one video card, don't spend more than $160 on a CPU.

Unless "just all around" means something CPU intensive or something that can make use of 6 CPU cores.
August 20, 2010 4:28:58 AM

xaerux said:
Hello,
I am wondering which processor is better for serious gaming. I will not be doing SLI, I think.. Also, which one is better just all around..

i5-760, 4 cores, no hyperthreading
!