Sign in with
Your question

Weirdest dual-GPU card i've seen...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2010 7:02:31 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for $350, screw that, GTX 470 is a better buy...

this card is an unhappy marriage of the GTX 275 and the GTS 250 dedicated to PhysX.

This is a dumb idea.

More about : weirdest dual gpu card

a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 11:00:13 AM

Well, it's a card specifically designed to play games which use PhysX... The GTX 470 would be a better card for most games, but the GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX edition would probably perform just as fast, if not faster in games which require heavy PhysX processing like Batman: Arkham Asylum. The GTX 275 is about as fast as an HD 5830, which is one step down from the HD 5850 which performs a bit slower than the GTX 470. If the performance tax of PhysX is too high, then it would be make sense for a dedicated PhysX GPU on the same card.
m
l
May 14, 2010 3:19:09 PM

you're right. it isn't worth $350.

However, this was put out a long time before the GTX 470 came out. It definitely had a use at the time, but not now. The GTX 470 would spank it. Even back when it was released, it wasn't really worth the price. 2 separate cards were almost $100 less.

it would have been good in theory, but the overall cost just put it out of the "good idea" range.
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 3:39:30 PM

Lmeow said:
but the GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX edition would probably perform just as fast, if not faster in games which require heavy PhysX processing like Batman: Arkham Asylum.
I'm not so sure about that myself. Any numbers to back that up?
m
l
May 14, 2010 3:58:30 PM

wow... i totally missed out on the existence of that card... did tom's ever do a review on it?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 11:28:38 PM

jyjjy said:
I'm not so sure about that myself. Any numbers to back that up?

What like this?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 7:45:11 AM

I don't see the GTX 470 on that chart but in general it's also rather confusing and I'm not sure what the numbers mean. Why are the FPS so much lower for the GTX 275 with Physx off vs on? Why do all the ATI cards give pretty much exactly the same poor performance across all the cards and at all resolutions? Is that with physx turned on somehow despite the lack of an Nvidia GPU?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 10:02:24 PM

jyjjy said:
I don't see the GTX 470 on that chart but in general it's also rather confusing and I'm not sure what the numbers mean. Why are the FPS so much lower for the GTX 275 with Physx off vs on? Why do all the ATI cards give pretty much exactly the same poor performance across all the cards and at all resolutions? Is that with physx turned on somehow despite the lack of an Nvidia GPU?

That article was from February which is why the 470 is not on there but if you go to Xbitlabs.com and read the entire article it may answer some of your questions.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 10:08:34 PM

Having done that now I'll assume you didn't answer me directly because the article doesn't make the answer to my questions clear at all :p 
m
l
!