Weirdest dual-GPU card i've seen...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130527

for $350, screw that, GTX 470 is a better buy...

this card is an unhappy marriage of the GTX 275 and the GTS 250 dedicated to PhysX.

This is a dumb idea.
8 answers Last reply
More about weirdest dual card seen
  1. Well, it's a card specifically designed to play games which use PhysX... The GTX 470 would be a better card for most games, but the GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX edition would probably perform just as fast, if not faster in games which require heavy PhysX processing like Batman: Arkham Asylum. The GTX 275 is about as fast as an HD 5830, which is one step down from the HD 5850 which performs a bit slower than the GTX 470. If the performance tax of PhysX is too high, then it would be make sense for a dedicated PhysX GPU on the same card.
  2. you're right. it isn't worth $350.

    However, this was put out a long time before the GTX 470 came out. It definitely had a use at the time, but not now. The GTX 470 would spank it. Even back when it was released, it wasn't really worth the price. 2 separate cards were almost $100 less.

    it would have been good in theory, but the overall cost just put it out of the "good idea" range.
  3. Lmeow said:
    but the GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX edition would probably perform just as fast, if not faster in games which require heavy PhysX processing like Batman: Arkham Asylum.
    I'm not so sure about that myself. Any numbers to back that up?
  4. wow... i totally missed out on the existence of that card... did tom's ever do a review on it?
  5. jyjjy said:
    I'm not so sure about that myself. Any numbers to back that up?

    What like this?
  6. I don't see the GTX 470 on that chart but in general it's also rather confusing and I'm not sure what the numbers mean. Why are the FPS so much lower for the GTX 275 with Physx off vs on? Why do all the ATI cards give pretty much exactly the same poor performance across all the cards and at all resolutions? Is that with physx turned on somehow despite the lack of an Nvidia GPU?
  7. jyjjy said:
    I don't see the GTX 470 on that chart but in general it's also rather confusing and I'm not sure what the numbers mean. Why are the FPS so much lower for the GTX 275 with Physx off vs on? Why do all the ATI cards give pretty much exactly the same poor performance across all the cards and at all resolutions? Is that with physx turned on somehow despite the lack of an Nvidia GPU?

    That article was from February which is why the 470 is not on there but if you go to Xbitlabs.com and read the entire article it may answer some of your questions.
  8. Having done that now I'll assume you didn't answer me directly because the article doesn't make the answer to my questions clear at all :p
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx GPUs Physx Graphics Product