Compaq CQ5306uk Desktop Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300

ZumTotal

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I am replacing an aprox 8yr old Athlon socket A Evesham keeps freezing and feel that £3-400 is reasonable trade-off to upgrade - Evesham prob reached end of serviceable life
seen this
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186618

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: thinking this week end June 2010

BUDGET RANGE: under £400

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (e.g.: general home usage, surfing the internet, watching movies, music, photos (not manipulating)), email

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PC: looked at main UK dabs, ebuyer, amazon, scan,

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: any

WHY PREBUILT VERSUS CUSTOM BUILT: Don't have the time to build one, not that interested in doing it

I HAVE CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING: (e.g.:
reading around the main query is the integrated graphics. in practise for my typical home usage is this likely to become an issue and would i then need a separate PCi graphics card.

is the Intel 8300 quad

Components may or may not be of high-end components (such as Corsair PSU's, ASUS/Gigabyte motherboards) and can be generic OEM components, which may or may not fail quicker

WOULD YOU CONSIDER A CUSTOM BUILT INSTEAD: not really unless soemthing comparative in proce

PREBUILT SYSTEM LINK:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186618

Thanks for any advice

ZumT

ZumTotal

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I realised i didn't complete this bit:
Is the Intel 8300 quad a reasonable CPU? I don't need it to be the absolute latest or blistering but is it ok or easy to get soemthing more futureproof
Thanks
ZumT

shovenose

Distinguished
it is a decent cpu. in fact its better than any computer in my house, and i never have any problems doing what i need to do. the computer has an intel gma 4500 crap for a grapihcs card. oem parts dont neccessarily fail faster, becuase they need to last at least past the warranty (yes i know thats not reassuring), but please let me know how much that is in US$ so i can tell you better if its a good deal.
i will be back in a minute with a few more ideas...

shovenose

Distinguished
yes i know its a US site, im just using it as a comparison.
so for $729.99 you can get a computer with more balanced specs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229181
i am not fond of hp/compaq after some bad experiences with their products lately, they tend to be rather cheaply made.
the compaq has a intel core 2 quad 2.5ghz vs the cyberpower has an amd phenom II x4 3.2ghz. seeing that intels may be a little better per clock speed, i would say as follows:
CPU: SIMILAR
RAM: SIMILAR
HDD: COMPAQ WINS
DVD drive: SIMILAR
Graphics: CYBERPOWER
Upgradabilty/expandabiltily: CYBERPOWER

i would say that the compaq, like many prebuilt systems from big vendors, is strong on the cpu and hard drive, but very weak on the graphics and motherboard side of things. also, the motherboards used in hp/compaqs, dells, and stuff like that are not designed with upgrading in mind. also, the compaq probably has a very low-wattage psu and bad cooling

ZumTotal

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Shovenose,

Interesting alternative. £400 is about $600. I'm keen to stick closer to my budget as it is basically used as a home PC. I've done a bit of upgrading of my old PC more RAM, new USB2.0 PCI card but I don't really want to spend anymore on what is an old computer. Changing these components has however given me a very limited skill in upgrading that may stand me in good stead in a few years time.

With that in mind having read around the Athlon II processors a bit including X3(435) X4(630) etc, and as HDD, LAN, RAM, DVD are all much of a muchness, I think one main thought is that in say 3 or 5 years time would i be wishing that i had bought a quad core rather than a triple.

another product is this which does have a separate graphics card and which i am erring towards as it seems a good spec for the price (ie about $600). I also realise its another HP - we use them at work without too many problems

http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/extra.asp?pn=we147aa%23abu

I value your comments and indeed the quality of most of the focussed content of this site - I needed something like this just to add an alternative point of view.

Thanks

ZumT