Sign in with
Your question

WD Caviar Green 1TB WD10EZRX hangs bios

Last response: in Storage
August 15, 2012 2:32:58 AM

I recently bought a WD Caviar Green 1TB 64MB Cache (WD10EZRX) HDD. Whenever I connect it to my motherboard the bios hangs at "Detecting IDE Drives..." message. I am at my wits end here. I got a new SATA cable just to check if it was the issue.
The HDD is SATA III and my mobo is SATA II, but that should not be an issue. I planned to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on it.
Currently I am running the system using an old laptop HDD :(  I bought this HDD to complete my computer setup and it is plain irritating :fou:  I dont know if my Power Supply might be the culprit but other HDDs work just fine. This WD is an advanced format (AF) drive and I have not used AF drives before, but the website says that it is ready to be used with Win 7 without any jumper settings.

Please suggest me how to use it :)  Its brand new and I opened the electrostatic sealing package myself so I hardly think its damaged.

My config is as follows:
Motherboard: Gigabyte G41MT-S2
RAM: Transcend 4GB DDR3
CPU: Pentium D 3 GHz

Thanks for all your help
September 23, 2012 6:20:32 AM

See if you change the "IDE" mode in your motherboard. If that didn't help check if your motherboard is SATA III (6GB/s) compatible .... Using a USB from other PC try to upgrade the FW BIOS of your motherboard and in another PC the FW of the WD drive ... If all fails then you might have problematic drive (happens) ... There is no alternative for this problem .... The most sure answer is that your motherboard is not SATA III comp. If you can't afford a new motherboard search for PCI/PCI-e cards with SATA III connection and see if the drive is visible through the motherboard BIOS. There is a section when you changing the boot order, if the drive is there then all ok, if not you are not ok.... If the drive IS visible at boot order and still hanging at IDE search then the drive is defective .... But first try every single step I mentioned then start crying your money .....
m
l
September 23, 2012 6:25:54 AM

Nio9345 said:
See if you change the "IDE" mode in your motherboard. If that didn't help check if your motherboard is SATA III (6GB/s) compatible .... Using a USB from other PC try to upgrade the FW BIOS of your motherboard and in another PC the FW of the WD drive ... If all fails then you might have problematic drive (happens) ... There is no alternative for this problem .... The most sure answer is that your motherboard is not SATA III comp. If you can't afford a new motherboard search for PCI/PCI-e cards with SATA III connection and see if the drive is visible through the motherboard BIOS. There is a section when you changing the boot order, if the drive is there then all ok, if not you are not ok.... If the drive IS visible at boot order and still hanging at IDE search then the drive is defective .... But first try every single step I mentioned then start crying your money .....

Thanks for the help,
It was a faulty drive and I returned it, the replacement is yet to arrive though.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2012 6:29:45 AM

I just checked your motherboard specification at GIGABITE and it doesn't support SATA III, it supports SATA II at maximum so the drive is useless for this motherboard .... To explane more efficient: SATA 3GB/s is SATA II and SATA 6GB/s is SATA III, some companies write SATA 3GB/s and some SATA II, the point is that your drive is SATA III and your motherboard accepts only SATA I and SATA II ... The only solution, if you don't afford a new motherboard, is to buy a PCI controller with SATA III support. The performance won't be the same as is seperate hardware from the motherboard but at least you won't through your money away ....
m
l
October 3, 2012 1:49:15 AM

Nio9345 said:
I just checked your motherboard specification at GIGABITE and it doesn't support SATA III, it supports SATA II at maximum so the drive is useless for this motherboard .... To explane more efficient: SATA 3GB/s is SATA II and SATA 6GB/s is SATA III, some companies write SATA 3GB/s and some SATA II, the point is that your drive is SATA III and your motherboard accepts only SATA I and SATA II ... The only solution, if you don't afford a new motherboard, is to buy a PCI controller with SATA III support. The performance won't be the same as is seperate hardware from the motherboard but at least you won't through your money away ....

All the SATA versions are inter-compatible with the disadvantage of performance degradation. Thanks
m
l
!