Asus P8P67 Deluxe red led cpu light

hellzscream

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Hello all so earlier today i purchased the asus p8p67 deluxe b3 along with other computer parts. I installed everything but when i boot the pc up all the fans spin then after like 2 seconds it shutdowns and restarts and all the fans spin this time for as long as i leave it. Now the problem there is a red led light for the cpu and because of this i can not get into bios. The first time i booted it i also noticed that there was q-code 30 but after i booted again it did not show up anymore. Also the second time i booted i had noticed a burning smell coming from the cpu so i immediately shutdown and checked the heatsink and cpu everything looked fine and i remounted it and retried also i did not notice anymore smell from the cpu

I have tried resetting the CMOS removing the batter and pushing the button at the back to reset it. I have also removed ram and changed ram slots. Held down the memok button made sure the 8pin for the cpu was in properly. Reseated the cpu and hsf also checked the pins and connectors everything looked good. I have run out of ideas of what might be causing this and narrowed it down to a faulty motherboard. I was wondering if anyone had anymore suggestions before I go through the rma process.

My system is as follows
i7-2600k
evga 570gtx
g skill ripjaws 8gb 1600 cas 9
wd cavier black
corsair 750hx
haf 932
p8p67 deluxe b3

My issue seems to be exactly related to this user op http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1592376
Honestly i find it mind boggling how asus can screw up twice. There goes my weekend and now i am going to have to wait 2 weeks or more while all my new items collect dust

Solution
I likely does NOT have anything to do with the power supply......

BUT, I'd second Simmoyee04's approach, take the motherboard & powersupply OUT of the case and onto the table.....

Remove EVERYTHING connected to the motherboard..
Remove the RAM...
Remove the GPU card.... (right, you'll have no way to connect a monitor or display but we're just working on getting no RED LEDs)

Now connect ONLY the 24 pin cable from the power supply ...

Turn on the power and see if the system boots JUST ONCE you'll like see a Code on the LED display (if it does Not, or you smell smoke it's off to the RMA...)

Now add things back one by one, like the 8 pin CPU power... (chk power up, see if the system boots JUST ONCE you'll like see a Code on the LED...

simonyee04

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

I wonder what kind of power supply you are using.
What brand
what model
What rating?

hellzscream

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007

Why would this be a problem with the psu every fan works, and all the lights come up i highly doubt it is an issue with the psu.

jb6684

Distinguished
I likely does NOT have anything to do with the power supply......

BUT, I'd second Simmoyee04's approach, take the motherboard & powersupply OUT of the case and onto the table.....

Remove EVERYTHING connected to the motherboard..
Remove the RAM...
Remove the GPU card.... (right, you'll have no way to connect a monitor or display but we're just working on getting no RED LEDs)

Now connect ONLY the 24 pin cable from the power supply ...

Turn on the power and see if the system boots JUST ONCE you'll like see a Code on the LED display (if it does Not, or you smell smoke it's off to the RMA...)

Now add things back one by one, like the 8 pin CPU power... (chk power up, see if the system boots JUST ONCE you'll like see a Code on the LED display)

Then the RAM.... (chk power up)

Now GPU & monitor, use a lower end card than the 570 if you have one spare (chk power up see if anything shows on the monitor..)

Now mouse & keyboard & see if you can get into the BIOS....

We'll you get the point, connect component by component to see if it effects boot-up or cause Smoke....

NOTE: if you get to point of putting things back into the case, look carefully at the mounting of the motherboard :
- count the # of brass stand off on the motherboard tray
- count the # of holes in the motherboard
- Assure they ALL align
- Check the HEADs of the screws you use to hold down the motherboard, be sure they do NOT overlap any traces on the motherboard!!

Solution

hellzscream

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007

Remove EVERYTHING connected to the motherboard.. Tried
Remove the RAM... Tried
Remove the GPU card.... Tried
Check the HEADs of the screws you use to hold down the motherboard, be sure they do NOT overlap any traces on the motherboard!! Tried

I will try the other options later on

simonyee04

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
TAKE IT OUT OF THE CASING AND PLACE IT ON THE TABLE WITHOUT ANY CONTACT TO OTHER SURFACE OR EACH OTHER
AND ALSO CHECK ALL THE plug in for the power switch, reset, led, hdd led etc before power on