Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XFX Radeon HD 5770 - Screen turns off,on again

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2010 10:53:53 AM

Can't figure this out. A few hours after running a Playstation emulator (EPSXE), I started getting issues where my screen would turn off for a half-second, then on again. It started off infrequently then happened more often. Whenever it does this, I noticed that the game advances frames more during the "black screen" time than it normally would with the settings I have. The game is in window-mode, but the whole TV screen turns off when it happens. My output is currently set to HDMI, with the same cable carrying sound.

I have heard that it could be all sorts of things - bad card, voltage issues with the power supply or motherboard power-saving features, drivers (which I have updated - still waiting to see if that helps), overheated card... Any advice / ways to keep it from happening again?

My build:
Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz
ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB SDRAM
COOLER MASTER HAF 922
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB Internal Hard Driv
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black DVD Burner
XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Power Supply
May 14, 2010 11:11:29 AM

Do you keep hearing sound from your computer as well as game advances frames when your monitor screen turns off and are you sure that the monitor turns off and not that the screen goes blank ?
m
l
May 14, 2010 11:22:41 AM

There's no sound when the screen turns off. Not sure how I can tell whether it's the monitor that's doing it or the output, but I'm pretty sure it's the comp's output.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 14, 2010 12:12:47 PM

So the display and sound drops off for one-half second. And it is because hdmi cable is set to transmit both sound and picture.

In my opinion, the game continues playing in the computer but the hdmi cable momentarily cuts out. So you cannot see and hear anything. The TV set does not turn off.

Can you reseat hdmi cable at both ends (computer and TV set) and/or try another hdmi cable ? Broken wires in the cable or loose fit might cause this because sound waves may cause shaking of the cable during high levels causing cable to lose momentary connectivity.

Hope this helps.
May 14, 2010 5:32:26 PM

I will try refitting the HDMI cable. Will try it tomorrow and post here again if I notice I'm still having some problems.
m
l
May 16, 2010 11:43:31 AM

Best answer selected by Waterfiend33.
m
l
!