Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Canon 20D. Unable to View Memory Card From PC

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 16, 2004 10:36:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Just got a Canon 20D, connected it all up to my PC, but I am unable to view
the memory card. It is as if the PC can't see the memory card. Usually the
PC picks cameras up as removable drives, and you can browse it in Windows
Explorer, but not this time.

Therefore:
1) I put the compact flash card in a card reader, and was able to view the
images on the card without any problems.
2) I re-formatted the memory card in both the camera, and the PC, but this
made no difference.
3) When I turn the camera on, the PC picks it up and recognised that a 20D
is connected to the PC showing that the connections are OK
4) I can control the camera from my PC OK, such as taking photos with 'EOS
Capture' from my PC, showing that the drivers are working OK
5) When I look go to Start>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras, it shows the
camera as working OK


It's just not picking up the memory card in the camera. And ideas?
December 16, 2004 10:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

A wrote:
> Just got a Canon 20D, connected it all up to my PC, but I am unable to view
> the memory card. It is as if the PC can't see the memory card. Usually the
> PC picks cameras up as removable drives, and you can browse it in Windows
> Explorer, but not this time.
>
> Therefore:
> 1) I put the compact flash card in a card reader, and was able to view the
> images on the card without any problems.
> 2) I re-formatted the memory card in both the camera, and the PC, but this
> made no difference.
> 3) When I turn the camera on, the PC picks it up and recognised that a 20D
> is connected to the PC showing that the connections are OK
> 4) I can control the camera from my PC OK, such as taking photos with 'EOS
> Capture' from my PC, showing that the drivers are working OK
> 5) When I look go to Start>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras, it shows the
> camera as working OK
>
>
> It's just not picking up the memory card in the camera. And ideas?
>
>


The camera has two modes when connecting to a PC. The default mode
requires driver and the 2nd mode make the camera acts like a drive.
December 16, 2004 10:42:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

BTW, using Windows 2000 Pro, in case it makes any difference.


"A" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:cpsnrn$mlo$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Just got a Canon 20D, connected it all up to my PC, but I am unable to
view
> the memory card. It is as if the PC can't see the memory card. Usually
the
> PC picks cameras up as removable drives, and you can browse it in Windows
> Explorer, but not this time.
>
> Therefore:
> 1) I put the compact flash card in a card reader, and was able to view
the
> images on the card without any problems.
> 2) I re-formatted the memory card in both the camera, and the PC, but
this
> made no difference.
> 3) When I turn the camera on, the PC picks it up and recognised that a 20D
> is connected to the PC showing that the connections are OK
> 4) I can control the camera from my PC OK, such as taking photos with 'EOS
> Capture' from my PC, showing that the drivers are working OK
> 5) When I look go to Start>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras, it shows
the
> camera as working OK
>
>
> It's just not picking up the memory card in the camera. And ideas?
>
>
Related resources
December 16, 2004 11:52:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hello Leo

I take it you mean the communication setting? Either normal or 'PTP'?

If so, the setting is on 'Normal', which is as it should be. 'PTP' is
prepare to print mode.




"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:cpsqbm02q3i@news2.newsguy.com...
> A wrote:
> > Just got a Canon 20D, connected it all up to my PC, but I am unable to
view
> > the memory card. It is as if the PC can't see the memory card. Usually
the
> > PC picks cameras up as removable drives, and you can browse it in
Windows
> > Explorer, but not this time.
> >
> > Therefore:
> > 1) I put the compact flash card in a card reader, and was able to view
the
> > images on the card without any problems.
> > 2) I re-formatted the memory card in both the camera, and the PC, but
this
> > made no difference.
> > 3) When I turn the camera on, the PC picks it up and recognised that a
20D
> > is connected to the PC showing that the connections are OK
> > 4) I can control the camera from my PC OK, such as taking photos with
'EOS
> > Capture' from my PC, showing that the drivers are working OK
> > 5) When I look go to Start>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras, it shows
the
> > camera as working OK
> >
> >
> > It's just not picking up the memory card in the camera. And ideas?
> >
> >
>
>
> The camera has two modes when connecting to a PC. The default mode
> requires driver and the 2nd mode make the camera acts like a drive.
December 16, 2004 11:52:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

A wrote:
> Hello Leo
>
> I take it you mean the communication setting? Either normal or 'PTP'?
>
> If so, the setting is on 'Normal', which is as it should be. 'PTP' is
> prepare to print mode.
>
>
>
>
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> news:cpsqbm02q3i@news2.newsguy.com...
>
>>A wrote:
>>
>>>Just got a Canon 20D, connected it all up to my PC, but I am unable to
>
> view
>
>>>the memory card. It is as if the PC can't see the memory card. Usually
>
> the
>
>>>PC picks cameras up as removable drives, and you can browse it in
>
> Windows
>
>>>Explorer, but not this time.
>>>
>>>Therefore:
>>>1) I put the compact flash card in a card reader, and was able to view
>
> the
>
>>>images on the card without any problems.
>>>2) I re-formatted the memory card in both the camera, and the PC, but
>
> this
>
>>>made no difference.
>>>3) When I turn the camera on, the PC picks it up and recognised that a
>
> 20D
>
>>>is connected to the PC showing that the connections are OK
>>>4) I can control the camera from my PC OK, such as taking photos with
>
> 'EOS
>
>>>Capture' from my PC, showing that the drivers are working OK
>>>5) When I look go to Start>Control Panel>Scanners and Cameras, it shows
>
> the
>
>>>camera as working OK
>>>
>>>
>>>It's just not picking up the memory card in the camera. And ideas?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>The camera has two modes when connecting to a PC. The default mode
>>requires driver and the 2nd mode make the camera acts like a drive.


I am sorry. You did say you use Win2000. PTP supports XP only. You have
to use normal mode and install the driver.
December 17, 2004 5:55:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hello Leo

I made a mistake when I said PTP stood for 'Prepare to Print'. It actually
stands for 'Photo Transfer Protocol', and as you mentioned is only
compatible with XP.

Was worth a go though, cheers for your help.

As for the original problem, I am thinking that the 20D isn't actually
supposed to show as a removable drive in 'My Computer/Windows Explorer',
because everything else works as it should.




"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:cpt2s601c5e@news4.newsguy.com...
>
>
> I am sorry. You did say you use Win2000. PTP supports XP only. You have
> to use normal mode and install the driver.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:11:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>From: "A" nospam@nospam.com

>As for the original problem, I am thinking that the 20D isn't actually
>supposed to show as a removable drive in 'My Computer/Windows Explorer',
>because everything else works as it should.
>

That is correct. It's a one-way street.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:02:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

A <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Hello Leo
>
>I take it you mean the communication setting? Either normal or 'PTP'?
>
>If so, the setting is on 'Normal', which is as it should be. 'PTP' is
>prepare to print mode.

That's "Picture Transfer Protocol".

FYI.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net
December 25, 2004 6:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:02:07 GMT
In message <cqi04e$ijj$1@bolt.sonic.net>
Posted from Sonic, San Jose
rfischer@bolt.sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> That's "Picture Transfer Protocol".

ROFL... Thanks for the laugh!

Jeff
June 13, 2009 12:50:20 PM

FIX FOR PROBLEM I had the same problem with MY canon 20D. Your drivers are already in Vista...

What you need to do is turn off your camera..turn it back on..hit the MENU button. go to the COMMUNICATIONS and change it to PTP ... plug it into your camera into computer and it should work perfect.
June 13, 2009 12:53:22 PM

That is the MENU button on your camera.. The problem isn't with your computer

FIXED>>> THANKS>.
July 17, 2009 1:26:18 PM

HELLO, I HAVE PROBLEM WITH CONNECTING MY CANON 2OD TO MY LAPTOP, BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THE CD INSTALLER.......
Anonymous
November 7, 2010 1:43:18 AM

Thanks for the Fix. Once you see Canon 20d icon in the My Computer list, you may have to try several time to get the pictures. It does work.
November 7, 2010 12:25:42 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!