Problem with GT240

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
My computer was running fine this morning, other than my cpu fan being far too loud. I finally get the new heatsink so i proceed to install it, once i started my computer again it would not recognise my graphics card!

Ive had this problem before so i just fiddled around with it and took it out, put it back in, checked, re-checked, and still nothing, i know its connected as the fan on the card is spinning.

It doesnt show up in Device Manager and im sure i didnt damage it while installing the new part as i took precautions, lay all peripheral cards on antistatic wrap (from when i bought the card), used an anti-static band.

What should i do?? Im so confused!

My current mob only has one PCIe x16 so i cant try another slot. So that idea is gone. Im going to try and re-install the drivers to see if anything happens, but thats mainly out of desperation.

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

There are no children running around so thats not the problem, i installed my heatsink on my desk, nothing touched it except me when i took it out, there wasnt enough space to work with it still in my mobo, im running AMD Athlon II, 4GB RAM, 600w Coolmaster eXtreme Power Plus, NZXT Lexa S (5 fan cooling), CD drive broke so i took it out, (i accidentally snapped off the disc tray).

Not sure what you mean by 'Does the Heatsink bump the GPU' but they do not touch, there are a few insulated wires touching the underside of the GPU, they its plastic so i dont see how that would affect it.

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I dont have another computer or another PSU, so i cant really test it to make sure its working, but as i said the fan on the card is spinning so i know its powered and its constant so i doubt its dropping power.

But thanks for helping, im going to keep trying, it took me a few attempts last time before it worked, this time i was just fed up because my CPU fused to my heatsink and it took me about 40 minutes to get it off, before i could change it, and then this happened.

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

My PSU is about 5 months old, the thermal paste that was on there was the one used on the stock HSF, so it was the one Compaq uses, the computer i have isnt great, but im slowly buying all the parts i need, next is the big one, CPU, Motherboard, and RAM, then im set and i have everything to finally finish my build.

fisshy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
^ this is very strange, could you take the card back to where you bought it just to make sure that it actually works and is not DOA?

You could also try re-Installing windows.

Good luck With your build:D

thor04e

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks for all the help, but im going to RMA, ive already contacted the website, the thing that gets me is that it was working before then suddenly not, and since i cant check if its broken or not i might have to pay $50 just to get someone to tell me its fine.... stupid thing!

Re-installing windows is too much effort, im going to be getting a new Mobo soonish so ill just wait until i get it then ill work on it again.