Closed Solved

Dedicated physics

Hello from Australia, I am currently using a gtx285, would loke to upgrade to gtx470 or gtx480 and still use gtx285 as dedicated physics card, IS THIS POSSIBLE?.
Current system
I7-920
X58-UD3R
GTX285
Vista home P 64
650PSU
6gig ram
Thanking you kindly
Peter.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dedicated physics
  1. Best answer
    Yea this is def possible.....You jus have to have the power supply and the motherboard to support both of the cards in your system....I think a 285 is a little over kill for physx but if u have it why not? Also not many games use physx yet..
  2. drums101 said:
    Yea this is def possible.....You jus have to have the power supply and the motherboard to support both of the cards in your system....I think a 285 is a little over kill for physx but if u have it why not? Also not many games use physx yet..

System listed, will need to upgrade psu. Thankyou for your quick response.

Peter.
  3. ^
    My Gut feel says Sell 1 x GTX 285 Buy 1 x ATI HD5970 And use 1 GTX 285 As physix processor...

I understand that if you are an nVid fan boy this will seem like treason but its the best of both worlds man!:D
  4. fisshy said:
    ^
    My Gut feel says Sell 1 x GTX 285 Buy 1 x ATI HD5970 And use 1 GTX 285 As physix processor...

I understand that if you are an nVid fan boy this will seem like treason but its the best of both worlds man!:D

Using two Nv cards will not require messing about with hacked drivers and a single 480 will be cheaper than a 5970, so your suggestion would only make sense to an ATI fan boy (IMHO :whistle: ).
  5. Hey while we're on the subject.

I have a pc that supports SLI. I have a 4850 ati card in it. I also have a 8800gtx. If I install the 8800 how do you enable it for physics if I keep the 4850 card as my main GPU?
  6. gamerguy1 said:
    Hey while we're on the subject.

I have a pc that supports SLI. I have a 4850 ati card in it. I also have a 8800gtx. If I install the 8800 how do you enable it for physics if I keep the 4850 card as my main GPU?

If you haven't worked out from my previous post that hacked drivers are needed then I suggest you start your own thread to ask your question rather than hijack this one.
  7. OP: what games do you play, because you should make sure that the games you play will even benefit from this
  8. Anyway thanks Mousemonkey. So my answer is the same as theda. You cant mix the two without hacked (experimental) drivers.
  9. Thanks guys for all your comments, I have to stick to nvid as 5970 in Australia where i am costs $1150. A 480 is around $850 & 470 around $500. As cash is limited, I think my best option would be a factory overclocked 470 and use 285 for dedicated physics. Again, many thanks.
  10. Best answer selected by theda.
  11. How does one terminate the thread?.
  12. ^ mods will close it, just leave it alone to die.;)
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Intel i7 Windows Vista Graphics