Sign in with
Your question

New graphics card old processor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2010 2:14:53 PM

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to a , Radeon HD 3850 512MB agp,
I need to know if it will run ok with these other parts.

AMD Athlon(tm) xp 2500+ 1.8Ghz clocked at 2183 MHz

ASRock K7S41GX Motherboard
( says agp 8 x ) above my agp slot .
1gb of ddr3 ram ( could get 2gb )

i want run games such as crysis at med, fifa 10 , borderlands, Cod 6.
Can you tell me if i would be able to play such games if i got this card ,
Tahnks for your time .

:bounce: 
May 14, 2010 2:34:02 PM

Thanks , for you time . You Have helped.
May 14, 2010 2:35:13 PM

Your CPU is so slow that it's pointless in buying that card, you'd need at the very least an Athlon 64 preferably an X2 to run these games even kind of well but even those are getting long in the tooth.

The minimum cpu for Cod mw2 for example is a Athlon 64 3200+ which is significantly better than your current cpu, and that's just the MINIMUM required cpu, i.e. you will get low fps at times with even that.

Just save your money until you can perform a full upgrade, get a cheap AM3 mobo and then get something like the Phenom II 550, that will get you a nice 3+GHz dual core for under $100 bucks and then the highest rated but cheap mobo.

Then get a card like the 4870 and you can play those games are pretty good settings and max out most of the games you listed.

If the 4870 is too expensive you can get something like the 4670 or the 9600GT but those are starting to become a bit dated.
May 14, 2010 2:40:13 PM

protokiller said:
Your CPU is so slow that it's pointless in buying that card, you'd need at the very least an Athlon 64 preferably an X2 to run these games even kind of well but even those are getting long in the tooth.

The minimum cpu for Cod mw2 for example is a Athlon 64 3200+ which is significantly better than your current cpu, and that's just the MINIMUM required cpu, i.e. you will get low fps at times with even that.

Just save your money until you can perform a full upgrade, get a cheap AM3 mobo and then get something like the Phenom II 550, that will get you a nice 3+GHz dual core for under $100 bucks and then the highest rated but cheap mobo.

Then get a card like the 4870 and you can play those games are pretty good settings and max out most of the games you listed.

If the 4870 is too expensive you can get something like the 4670 or the 9600GT but those are starting to become a bit dated.

thanks for you time , and i will do as u say :p  needed an update
!