AMD Phenom II X4 975 cancelled ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrams116

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
The Phenom II 975 3.6GHz chip was supposed to be released by the end of this month, Now its been removed from wikipedia and AMD announced the Phenom II X6 Thuban will be out in April 26 but mentioned nothing of the 975. Is it cancelled ? Was it never being worked on ? whats up I was really looking forward to this chip as I really wanted to reach 4.0GHz.

4.0GHz? Are you talking about overclocking?

A stock 3.6GHz cpu oerclocked to 4.0GHz isn't very impressive...

Jrams116

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Lol you don't think i know that ? Impressing anyone isn't the point, and yeah I know a 3.6 stock can go higher then 4.0. I simply wanted it so I can keep it at 4.0 without making it get too hot by raising voltages and so that I can keep it for a while since I mostly game, A quad core at 4.0 should be good enough for the latest games for at least the rest of this year. And if you see someone ask a question either you answer it or you don't, No one cares what overclock you think is impressive or not.

They only recently went to C3 stepping so I doubt AMD would be eager to make additional revisions to the Phenom IIs when they are focusing on hexcore CPUs and their future bulldozer CPUs. Not only that, but putting out a 975 now may encourage Intel to lower their prices, which would mean AMD would have to lower prices on the rest of their line. Likely, the 975 will use the same C3 stepping and just be a higher binned CPU than the 965

At that high of a stock clock, it's overclocking potential will be severely limited. There's really no reason to buy it when even the current 940s can overclock to 4.0GHz within decent voltages. And there's no point in having a quad at 4.0GHz if all you do is game.

Nor do I care for your foolish opinion on how great a 3.6GHz cpu with no overclocking headroom will be.

Jrams116

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
a 940 to 4.0GHz ? Much easier said then done. That's the proccessor I have in my system right now and it maxes out at a stable 3.6GHz, Im sure MOST 940's won't even come close to 4.0GHz stable, You have no clue. Instead of just reading stuff try things for yourself then post.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

I've recently heard of several people getting 3.8Ghz now stable on the OEM version ($96) of the 940 BE.

Status
Not open for further replies.