X5DAL freezes on boot with new memory

3DPiper

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I have an older Supermicro X5DAL motherboard.. It has had 2G of Corsair memory in it since I got the system, and it has never had a problem.. The Corsair memory is CMX512-2700LL, 4 sticks..

I recently bought a full 8G upgrade, four sticks of 2G Kingston memory. It is all matched (in fact, it is an 8G kit), PC2100 DDR266 ECC Registered..

If I put in all four sticks, my post screen says 8G is installed, but it locks up right after it says "Mouse Initialized"..

If I pull out two of the sticks, it boots fine with 4G.. I have swapped all the memory around to check and make sure all the memory is good, and it is. Either two work fine by themselves, but not all four sticks together..

I have tried to set ECC off in the bios, but that does not fix the problem..

???

3DPiper

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I got two replies from support..

From Supermicro:

This motherboard does not support memory in kit version. We do not test and validate.

From the people I bought the memory from:

Hi
Only option is to check and upgrades the BIOS of your system.
Or you can seek the help of the motherboard manufacturer.

Soooo.. Not a lot of help there..

:(

Need to figure this out! I'll check the bios again and make sure it is the latest version..

Supermicro says that the Kingston memory has not been validated, and suggested this:

http://store.upgradebay.net/amp383d5627xt1-cb0-s.html

$340 a stick?????

3DPiper

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Man, am I getting the run around..

The memory people say make sure I have the latest Bios (I do)..

The motherboard people say talk to the memory makers (Kingston).. I have and am waiting to hear back..

I don't understand.. Supermicro is taking the stance of "we can't guarantee memory compatibility" and tell me to check with everyone else..

I've never had this problem before.. I bought memory based on the motherboard specs, and it doesn't work as it should.. Now I don't know what to do, because even buying more memory based on those specs still may not work..

:(

Mageleug

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hi.
I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4666 that came with 1 gb RAM (two 512 mb "sticks") so I thought I would upgrade to 2 gb. When I change it to two 1 gb "sticks", my computer "froze" at "mouse initialized" line.
So I switched the arrangement of the RAM so now I have a 512 mb "stick" in one slot and 1 gb "stick" in the other.
I'm up and running again.