Your question
Closed

What do you use your system for?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 4:03:13 AM

I have been visiting THG for years and just recently created an account.
My background is A+ tech with LLC with a 5 private school contract and refurbishing older computers for sale.
I am not a computer genius. I mainly deal with older hardware with my repair customers and schools.
I use my system for office apps, browsing (mainly Craigslist, Tiger Direct, Ebay and OEM support sites), encoding/transcoding video, light gaming, dvd ripping etc ...
I make a decent living and make my own schedule which is great with having 9 year old daughter.
Money can be tight so I am wondering what people do with their systems on these forums because honestly from reading
alot of posts it seems like most (not all) of the members are hard core gamers.
I wonder if except for the gaming is the community using some of these high powered I7's for real work.
I just recently read the post where the person asked if a I3 or Precision 670 dual xeon at 2/3's the cost would be better.
For what he was doing the older Precision 670 could easily handle and save him alot of money.
I can play Left 4 Dead 2 on medium settings and encode a 700 mb avi file at the same time or play Crysis Warhead at low settings medium resulotion.
Todays games still will play on a P4 3ghz with a Nvidia 7000 series or Ati X800 or better.
I just don't understand justifying the cost of a $1000 to $2000 dollar machine for gaming.
For 500 bucks you can have a nice Xbox 360 elite rig.
I won't be popular for this but this a challenge to see if these 2-3 grand machines are being used for real work and can justify their cost.
If you got the money it's your right to spend it like you want but the way the economy is going you should bank it or invest it.

More about : system

August 20, 2010 4:42:53 AM

I use my computer for personal research mostly, then for games. I will be watching tv and get a weird thought in my head about something and then have to research it to death until I know every possible outcome heh.

I thought about buying an xbox but I like being able to edit game files and using the console. I often alt+tab from a game to look something up on the internet.

Oh dang dang, I also hook my fender g-dec up to my computer to edit files on there, and record music. And I like to watch vids from youtube, hulu and netflix.

Next month I will be upgrading to an i5-760 and gtx 460 for faster performance. Right now I run an old e6600 with an ati 4850.

If I wasn't a poor guy I would be upgrading to an i7-crazyfast cpu and 2 ati 597000 or something, just for the better framerates.

I play fallout 3, Oblivion, Farcry, Quake Live, a couple of facebook games and will be playing another mmorgp when I find a good one.

sorry for talking so much
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 5:17:33 AM

I don't the talking. I am a blabbermouth.
I play FO3, Farcry 2 etc myself so I not knocking gaming I just can't see justifying the expense just to go from low to mid setting up to high settings.
I just finished playing L4D2 while encoding and gameplay was smooth and my econde is at 60 fps.
I have a 2004 machine for crying out loud!
I can understand having an I7 from a business productivity standpoint if you need to get renderings done quickly for a deadline etc but for home use it is like having a Ferrari to go grocery shopping.
Unless your 16 and have rich parents why spend the money if a less expensive system will do the trick.
Pick up a Pentium D or Core Duo with a good PSU used and throw in a used older higher end card like a Nvidia 9000 series or ATI 4000 series and you can handle 90 percent of the games at mid to high settings and spend 1/4 of the cost and use the money for a vacation or something silly like paying bills....
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:10:42 AM

True.
I was over on the linux forum on THG and the folks there are hardcore server orientated.
It just seems a shame that alot of these high powered systems are being built for games.
Most games basic system requirements aren't that high.
I worry more about being able to run multiple apps like MS word, publisher,couple of IEs, WMP etc at same time smoothly and a C2D or Pentium D or Dual Xeon (P4 base) will work fine.
IF you use an I7 for business purposes and need the power I can understand that but I don't understand building a 2000 dollar machine to blow away a zombie in HD.
The graphics for most games nowadays at medium settings is stunning enough.
I have seen Crysis Warhead on high settings and it wasn't that drastic a difference to justify it.
If my machine takes double the time to encode my home movies I can live with that.
My bills are current, my daughter goes to a private school, my car is paid for and I usually have money for a family vacation every year but my budget doesnt allow for a 500 dollar video card every 6 months.
If i hit the million dollar lottery sure I would build a crazy system but that is only with an excess of money.
Where are the guys doing hard core Maya 3d modeling AutoCad etc on this forum and making a living at it?

Score
a c 137 à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:27:15 AM

So you keep talking about playing L4D2, what were the settings? Resolution?

For the most part I use my computer to surf or download things. I'm a media junkie and its what I like to do. New PS3 has a 320GB drive? I'm up to 1.5TB so that really doesn't work for me.

Computers let you do it all. Game, surf, watch TV/DVDs, transcode files, find cures for diseases or find E.T. A console might be able to do many of these tasks, but either not as well or with the same options/choices that a computer will allow. As you've noticed even a cheaper computer will work well. I'm still on a C2D and it works fine for me.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:38:18 AM

I just upgraded my Video card and I do certainly enjoy the plush new graphics I see with games. I am currently running a pieced together machine, purchased used components except PSU and CPU. The start up cost has been very affordable. I have a real interest in technology and have enjoyed the couple systems I have built. Some of the expense is easily justified when compared to off the shelf systems. DIY does and always will have its benefits. I think faster PCs and the drive to be the fastest is similar to all interests anyone would consider a hobby. Bragging rights, sure; but the feeling of power at ones fingertips built and setup by that person is where it`s at.
Think of a car enthuasist for example. Does one really need 600hp or $2000 tires? I mean after all doesn`t the driver have to maintain the legal speed limit? Most of us are reasonably happy just to get from point A to point B and do it reliably, safely , and efficiently.
I hope my rambling allowed you to understand some of my justification.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:46:50 AM

Actually, I was asking the same question myself. A faster processing, higher frame rate, all eye candies on for most people are not that significant.

I'm currently using HD3300 IGP in my system, while planning to get an HD5570 for the low power consumption. PC gaming isn't really my hobby anyway, so the target discrete GPU will do me just fine.

Achieving the highest ratio between performance and price is always fun. My current $700 total entertainment system is performing just as I expected, only lacks in PC gaming though. But a discrete GPU should solve that. Besides, I mostly play games with my good ol' $55 PlayStation 2.

Basically, it all comes down to what we need, not what we want. Unless you can afford the lust for performance, I can't see the point of having monster rigs other than pure self satisfaction.

But I agree with Dipankar, it depends on the individual's perspective. Different community will give different opinions.

Score
August 20, 2010 6:52:51 AM

Why is this in the cpu catagory?
Score
a c 120 à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:55:03 AM

/puts hand up,
I'm not a Hardcore gamer!! I play/live World of Warcraft :p 
watch movies, get guitartabs, keep up with the old 80's bike chop scene, currently referencing on Toms a lot to set up a pc-based business,
I just built my first pc in january cause I was bored with taking a broken unit to a 'mate' every year or so, them building me a newer one and me paying cash and them keeping my old rig,no doubt to refurb and sell on again to someone else, figured I was losing out so I would build one myself and learn what it was all about
Glad I did :) 
Moto
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 7:03:04 AM

maziar321 said:
Why is this in the cpu catagory?

Maybe because the Category name is CPU and "COMPONENTS", which is kinda vague. Components can mean a lot of things, you know :D 
Score
a c 164 à CPUs
August 20, 2010 7:19:21 AM

saying "Todays games still will play on a P4 3ghz with a Nvidia 7000 series or Ati X800 or better" it utter bullcrap. Some games will "run" but they are not what I would call playable and they would look like crap at the low video settings you would have to run them at.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 3:31:31 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
saying "Todays games still will play on a P4 3ghz with a Nvidia 7000 series or Ati X800 or better" it utter bullcrap. Some games will "run" but they are not what I would call playable and they would look like crap at the low video settings you would have to run them at.

I was going by game manafacturer website system requirements and reading the boxes on games at the store.
I have Crysis Warhead and Far Cry 2 which use those system requirements and I think in my humble OPINION that they look fine at lower settings.
My statement was not "bullcrap" but based on facts gathered from the web and real experience.
If you don't think they look good that is your opinion.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 3:48:56 PM

i use mine first and foremost for software developing (in linux VM's), then for gaming, then for personal research (programming of course)
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 4:00:01 PM

I think that most people recognize not to believe the minimum system requirements on the boxes of computer games. Take for example Microsoft Flight Simulator X as its minimum requirements was a 1 Ghz CPU.It would run on lower resolutions and lower settings on a Athlon 64 3400+ CPU .On a 3.2 Ghz P4 system the FSX demo was a slideshow.My standard rule of thumb was if the minimum requirement was Y, than 3 or 4 times Y would be the more realistic minimum requirement.A 3 Ghz P4 is fine for web browsing,as a secondary or tertiary PC but it is not up to par with modern gaming needs.Of course if someone doesn't mind playing 6 year old PC games than it's fine.Basically a 3 Ghz P4 system is a hand me down PC to be given away to the desperately needy (someone who can't afford a modern system even a budget PC).
Score

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
August 20, 2010 5:59:41 PM

Very interesting topic.
I agree a lot with you, king SMP. Most recommendations though are based on what the best is the person can get at their pricepoint rather that what the minimum they need is though.

The x800 is definitely a great card, but it can't keep up with some brand new 2010 games.

I have an Athlon IIx4 overclocked to 3.22GHz
Ram: DDR2 992MHz 5-5-5-15 timings
Video card is a 3 year old 3870 and motherboard is a 785G Asus board that I got for $80.
Case is antec 300 and the monitor is a 1080p asus monitor.

My uses vary a lot. I find my monitor very comfortable for mutli-tasking research or productivity. It's comfortable being able have two word documents open at 100% zoom and seeing the full page.
The rest of my setup stems from a job I did for someone. I got paid in computer parts.
-160GB seagate drive
-nvidia asus board (died due to the nvidia chipset)
-athlon 64 3200+ overclocked to 2.5GHz
-2 gb DDR2 memory

I purchased a tv tuner card so I could get rid of my old crt tv and watch TV on my computer. Unfortunately, the CPU was only barely sufficient for the task. It was also incapable of playing 1080p movies. So I got my Athlon IIx4. I was originally going to get the Athlon IIx2 (I'd been looking at the 7xxx models for ages then the IIx2 models when they came out) but a quad core for $100 was excellent, and yes, more than what I needed at the time. Video playback issues solved.

I also gamed occasionally with friends. Call of Duty 4 was our main game. I had a laptop at the time that I had gotten on sale for $700, which was a really good deal where I am at the time. the tx2500 tablet by HP. It could play cod4 on minimum settings and I was fine with it for a long time. Of course, the framerate was lacking for competitive play. We would sometimes lock framerates to 30 or 40 FPS to make it fair for those with laptops.

As a computer enthusiast (my computer is like a car is to some others, just like just4today was talking about), I envy and love looking at and using the latest hardware. This becomes easier as I have a lot of enthusiast friends. So my one friend was purchasing a new video card and I purchased his old radeon 3870 for $40. Good things come to those who wait and I'd been eying the radeon 4670, a slightly lesser card, at $70-80 for months. I ran into someone who gave me 2GB of free DDR2 ram that they hadn't used in a year or so and being lucky that way, the only upgrades I have done since then have been to my storage, and even now I am thinking about getting a new 2TB drive for even further storage of movie backups, music, pictures, operating system disk images and games- I rip and mount all my games, I actually have no DVD drive. When I need one, I use my laptop.

I can definitely see where you are coming from though. I've been looking to upgrade from my 3870 for several months now but between talking to friends experiences and online reviews, I would have to pay $300+ for a notable difference in gaming performance. Definitely not worth it. Someone I know also recently spend a ridiculous amount of money on a core i7980X and 2 radeon 5970s. They still cannot enable AA at 8x and run 60FPS on Crysis. The difference didn't impress me to be honest, for the cost especially from my old 3870. Only now, are games starting to tax my video card where I have to lower settings beyond what I think reasonable for play. Games like Crysis, Cryostasis and BFBC2.

As for the minimum and recommended requirements for games, I always look at the recommended as the minimum. Enjoyable play for me is 45-60FPS at 1920x1080. The quality settings don't usually make a big difference to me. I never enable AA.

I honestly think I might be fine with my computer for the next couple of years, unless envy of other's systems gets the better of me.
Anyway, here are all the uses of my machine:
-watching cable tv (analogue)
-watching movies and TV shows, both HD and low def
-folding@home
-internet browsing
-productivity
-music
-virtual machines
-data storage and backup
-a lot of multi-tasking
-video editing adobe after-effects
-gaming
-website design/development
-email

On another note, I'd just like to counter this ;)  :
I just don't understand justifying the cost of a $1000 to $2000 dollar machine for gaming.

You can build a really good gaming computer for $500 that can do things an Xbox never could.
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:39:27 PM

Best answer selected by king smp.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 6:57:49 PM

enzo matrix said:
Very interesting topic.
I agree a lot with you, king SMP. Most recommendations though are based on what the best is the person can get at their pricepoint rather that what the minimum they need is though.

The x800 is definitely a great card, but it can't keep up with some brand new 2010 games.

I have an Athlon IIx4 overclocked to 3.22GHz
Ram: DDR2 992MHz 5-5-5-15 timings
Video card is a 3 year old 3870 and motherboard is a 785G Asus board that I got for $80.
Case is antec 300 and the monitor is a 1080p asus monitor.

My uses vary a lot. I find my monitor very comfortable for mutli-tasking research or productivity. It's comfortable being able have two word documents open at 100% zoom and seeing the full page.
The rest of my setup stems from a job I did for someone. I got paid in computer parts.
-160GB seagate drive
-nvidia asus board (died due to the nvidia chipset)
-athlon 64 3200+ overclocked to 2.5GHz
-2 gb DDR2 memory

I purchased a tv tuner card so I could get rid of my old crt tv and watch TV on my computer. Unfortunately, the CPU was only barely sufficient for the task. It was also incapable of playing 1080p movies. So I got my Athlon IIx4. I was originally going to get the Athlon IIx2 (I'd been looking at the 7xxx models for ages then the IIx2 models when they came out) but a quad core for $100 was excellent, and yes, more than what I needed at the time. Video playback issues solved.

I also gamed occasionally with friends. Call of Duty 4 was our main game. I had a laptop at the time that I had gotten on sale for $700, which was a really good deal where I am at the time. the tx2500 tablet by HP. It could play cod4 on minimum settings and I was fine with it for a long time. Of course, the framerate was lacking for competitive play. We would sometimes lock framerates to 30 or 40 FPS to make it fair for those with laptops.

As a computer enthusiast (my computer is like a car is to some others, just like just4today was talking about), I envy and love looking at and using the latest hardware. This becomes easier as I have a lot of enthusiast friends. So my one friend was purchasing a new video card and I purchased his old radeon 3870 for $40. Good things come to those who wait and I'd been eying the radeon 4670, a slightly lesser card, at $70-80 for months. I ran into someone who gave me 2GB of free DDR2 ram that they hadn't used in a year or so and being lucky that way, the only upgrades I have done since then have been to my storage, and even now I am thinking about getting a new 2TB drive for even further storage of movie backups, music, pictures, operating system disk images and games- I rip and mount all my games, I actually have no DVD drive. When I need one, I use my laptop.

I can definitely see where you are coming from though. I've been looking to upgrade from my 3870 for several months now but between talking to friends experiences and online reviews, I would have to pay $300+ for a notable difference in gaming performance. Definitely not worth it. Someone I know also recently spend a ridiculous amount of money on a core i7980X and 2 radeon 5970s. They still cannot enable AA at 8x and run 60FPS on Crysis. The difference didn't impress me to be honest, for the cost especially from my old 3870. Only now, are games starting to tax my video card where I have to lower settings beyond what I think reasonable for play. Games like Crysis, Cryostasis and BFBC2.

As for the minimum and recommended requirements for games, I always look at the recommended as the minimum. Enjoyable play for me is 45-60FPS at 1920x1080. The quality settings don't usually make a big difference to me. I never enable AA.

I honestly think I might be fine with my computer for the next couple of years, unless envy of other's systems gets the better of me.
Anyway, here are all the uses of my machine:
-watching cable tv (analogue)
-watching movies and TV shows, both HD and low def
-folding@home
-internet browsing
-productivity
-music
-virtual machines
-data storage and backup
-a lot of multi-tasking
-video editing adobe after-effects
-gaming
-website design/development
-email

On another note, I'd just like to counter this ;)  :

You can build a really good gaming computer for $500 that can do things an Xbox never could.

Thank you for a great answer.
I have had to part my old beast together over a period of two years buying used on Craigslist and Ebay.
I rarely have over 50 dollars at a time to spend on the computer budget (daughter's private school,mortgage,finally paying off car, etc).
Sure total money spent on my system could have gotten better tech but I couldn't put together 500 for a system at one time and still make sure my bills are paid.
I hate credit cards btw.
The point I was trying to make was that building a high powered rig that was used for real uses is fine but purely for bragging rights makes no sense.
BTW when I was 30 I bought a SVT Cobra Mustang which with mods was around 400 hp but I was single then so I do understand going overboard.
What I dont like is Computer Elitism Snobbery.
I love the comment that a P4 3ghz is "a hand me down to be given to the desperately needy" made by jj463rd.
My dual Xeon 3.2 (Prestonia - P4 based) with a 7600gs OC'd plays Crysis Warhead,L4d2,Fallout 3,Far Cry 2 on LOW to MEDIUM settings just fine.
Most of my customers and schools are still using P4 and PD or Athlon's.
Thanks Enzo for another great post.

Score
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2010 2:10:11 AM

These days if you build a new system, you can do it for cheap and it will run circles around older systems. It may make sense to upgrade time to time with reasonable budget, and it would cost much less money than to spend a fortune on high end hardware.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2010 6:02:01 AM

yyk71200 said:
These days if you build a new system, you can do it for cheap and it will run circles around older systems. It may make sense to upgrade time to time with reasonable budget, and it would cost much less money than to spend a fortune on high end hardware.

I agree with you to a point.
I am referring to 1000 dollar and up gaming rigs where the people who build them think anything less than
a I5 and I7 is obsolete.
For what most of computer users use their computers for a Pentium D or Athlon x2 can handle.
Heck a decent P4 can handle 90 percent of computer users needs.
I just get mad at Computer Elitists.
Score
August 21, 2010 6:23:38 AM

I just get mad at Computer Elitists. said:
I just get mad at Computer Elitists.

that depends on how you want your system to handle your needs.

i want my system to handle it fast. a decent p4, sadly, won't suffice.
Score
a c 137 à CPUs
August 21, 2010 6:38:52 AM

Quote:
My dual Xeon 3.2 (Prestonia - P4 based) with a 7600gs OC'd plays Crysis Warhead,L4d2,Fallout 3,Far Cry 2 on LOW to MEDIUM settings just fine.

Its great that you can "game" on such an older power inefficient computer. Low to medium settings at 800x600 or 1024x768 might be ok for some, but for those that want the game to look good at their monitors native resolution will NOT be happy with it. My neighbor 2yrs ago or so bought a new machine with monitor from BB for around $800. His kids threw Halo 1 on it and had to turn EVERYTHING off or down to the lowest setting and change the res to 800x600 just to get it to play. They were upset because it looked NOTHING like it should have, or what they were used to on the xbox360.

I agree to a point that if your gaming or surfing you don't need the ultimate top of the line machine. But I wouldn't want to be using a P4 with a 7600GS in this day and age. Can surf and handle some tasks, but playing TF2 with the details maxed at 1680x1050 isn't happening.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2010 7:12:23 AM

Sure if you use your computer just to game i guess it matters.
BTW the way I run run my games between 1280x1024 with low to medium settings for and 1600 x 1200 at medium to high settings for my games and I play Crysis Warhead, Fallout 3, L4D2, Far Cry 2, and I can play high settings on Halo.
So I dont know what kinda machine your neighbor wasted their money on but if your a real working A+ tech making a living at it you know how to build a machine to do a job.
BTW gaming is what I barely have time for with repairing and refurbishing computers to keep a roof over my family's head.
Worrying about playing "TF2 maxed out" isn't a priorty to me or most people.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2010 7:18:30 AM

wh3resmycar said:
that depends on how you want your system to handle your needs.

i want my system to handle it fast. a decent p4, sadly, won't suffice.

I know I hate it when my porn runs slow too.....
How do YOU use your computer?
Are you a 3d modeler, programmer, etc
Check your CPU usage sometime while you are using your computer and see how maxed out you are...
IF you make a living using your computer then I understand

Score
August 21, 2010 7:28:39 AM

BTW gaming is what I barely have time for with repairing and refurbishing computers to keep a roof over my family's head.
said:

an example of a twisted mentality.

if that's what your doing for a living and could barely have time gaming, you shouldn't have spent all those money on the games you listed in the first place. assuming you actually bought them legit.

So I dont know what kinda machine your neighbor wasted their money on but if your a real working A+ tech making a living at it you know how to build a machine to do a job. said:
So I dont know what kinda machine your neighbor wasted their money on but if your a real working A+ tech making a living at it you know how to build a machine to do a job.

if you're a real working A+ tech you'd realize that the consumer-electronics market has segments.

Worrying about playing "TF2 maxed out" isn't a priorty to me or most people. said:
Worrying about playing "TF2 maxed out" isn't a priorty to me or most people.

and all games should've stuck with idtech1 as a game engine and never moved forward. that way software/hardware technology should never have advanced and moved forward and we'll all be happy.

Score
August 21, 2010 7:34:02 AM

Check your CPU usage sometime while you are using your computer and see how maxed out you are...
IF you make a living using your computer then I understand said:
IF you make a living using your computer then I understand

i'm a novice web-developer. i run 2 vm's on top of my OS to simulate a server-to-client environment.

and i game a lot, too. is it a curse that some of us can distinguish anisotropic filtered textures as oppose to the bilineared ones?

Score
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2010 8:09:47 AM

NOW THAT IS THE TYPE OF ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!
Sorry for the shouting.
After awhile of reading posts from noobies who are usually 20 or 30 somethings living in Momma's basement who think that having the latest hardware makes them a freaking computer genius critizing and insulting people on this and other forums for trying to make do with what they can afford well it pisses me off.
Somebody like you has my respect.
Too many out there just know to buy the latest shiny toy. ;) 
BTW the way my childhood best friend is a manager at Gamestop so I get a great deal on the games and also I have poor vision with coke bottle glasses so honestly AA doesn't mean that much to me.
To everybody out there:
There is nothing wrong with building a high powered system if your hobby is HD gaming but don't act like Computer Snobs because of it.
I constantly see this on here and other forums .
IF somebody is asking for help with an older system don't tell them to throw it away and buy something new if what they have will work (which most of the time it will).
Sometimes you will get the single mom or out of work person trying to make do with they got and spending $50 to fix it is easier than spending 300-500 on a OEM system (remember most people out there can't build there own and just googled there way to THG)
BTW
Gaming is a recreational hobby not a way of life.
Go outside and meet people.

Score
a c 137 à CPUs
August 21, 2010 9:25:03 AM

Quote:

Couple of thoughts before I leave this thread. First, I'm sorry your ePeen isn't big enough for you. You come across as someone who's used to the finer things (mustang, kids should go to private school) and upset with himself that he can't do it. I'm sorry you've had to piece your system together. I've done the same thing with my computer so don't go getting upset with me.

If you use your machine for work you really should get a better system. A dual socket Prestonia? I would bet a 2180 C2D would be faster then that. I just picked up for my wife an e5200, Gigabyte P45 mobo with 2GBs of ram for $70 shipped. I sold her old S939 4200x2 for $50 and bought her 2x2GBs of DDR2-800 ram for $60. For $80 I gave her system a big leap up. Would be better then your two single core netburst based P4s.

Quote:
I am referring to 1000 dollar and up gaming rigs where the people who build them think anything less than a I5 and I7 is obsolete.

While very true, there is nothing to be gained by going in and bitching to people about their systems. Should I got to where people gather to get info about various private schools and bitch about why they send their kids to private schools?
Score
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 7:14:44 AM

I wasnt looking to start a "flame" war.
I actually complimented you and also my main point was being tired of computer snobs picking on people.
If your not a computer snob then you should not be upset with my comments.
My point was if a person has an older system then help them and not pick on them.
I was just having fun with it and picking back at the computer elitists which I didnt think or state you were.
If you carefully read my posts you would see that.
If you look around these forums and others you would see the type of person I am talking about.
I get frustrated with the snobs in any part of life.
BTW my daughter's school had a driveby 4 houses down the year b4 and we were blessed to get 50 percent scholarship.
No hard feelings.
You made some good points.
Score
a c 137 à CPUs
August 22, 2010 7:41:23 AM

If you have a post you can point out I wouldn't mind seeing it. I'm not sure I know what your talking about. I've seen posts where the OP wants help upgrading his 2.0GHz P4 that might not even have an AGP slot. Upgrade it? The only option is to buy new. It makes not sense in this day and age to stay with a single core CPU and a PCI card. Basic websurfing with no flash is possible on that system but thats about it. It won't be playing any video games, at least as us gamers call it. I wouldn't want to play games on low, it doesn't look good.

If you had come into this forum asking for help on how to do ??? even I would have said upgrade. I'm sorry to say that 130nm single core P4s can't do anything better then 45nm quads that are out today. Its great that you've been able to piece a computer together that does actual work. But the sad fact is thats its still a long way behind what is currently available.

Anyone got the link handy to that article toms did where they compared the P4 against the Atom CPU? Talk about an eye opener.
Score
a c 137 à CPUs
August 22, 2010 9:23:44 AM

Thank you.

Behold the power of Netcrap. (netburst) Its articles like this that should help point out there is no reason to keep a P4 around these days. Its not computer snobbery. Old archs make little sense as time moves on. At some point you have to start over.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 11:33:20 AM

4745454b said:
Thank you.

Behold the power of Netcrap. (netburst) Its articles like this that should help point out there is no reason to keep a P4 around these days. Its not computer snobbery. Old archs make little sense as time moves on. At some point you have to start over.

Agreed. That's why I built my current system to replace my old P4. Performance wise, it's a highly significant increase indeed.

But for common entry level users, the OP's perspective is quite relevant. Basic office apps, music listening, light maybe mid gaming are all still very capably handled by the P4. Yet, as wh3resmycar said earlier, the PC user market has segments. From entry level to enthusiasts, each segments have their own preferences.

Computer snobs have the right to brag, since they do have something to brag about. Like celebrities using bling-bling case for their cellphones, that's just the way it is. I don't see the necessity to be upset against certain people who have different ideals with ours. It's not worth the brain energy :pfff: 

Does anyone else feel that this thread is a bait for a "my ideals vs your ideals" debate? Usually, a solved thread is already closed. Maybe Tom's should make a new thread type named "DEBATE" for this kind of question :p 
Score
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2010 4:01:34 PM

Yes it would be best to let this thread die.
I really just wanted to know what the community was using their systems for.
It seemed most was gaming.
I was curious what members were doing besides gaming.
I let my personal feelings get involved.
It comes down to if your system does what you need it do and your happy with then it doesnt matter
if it is a P3 900mhz or a I7.
Cant we all just get along?

Score
a c 133 à CPUs
August 23, 2010 1:41:25 AM

damasvara said:
Maybe Tom's should make a new thread type named "DEBATE" for this kind of question :p 

Actually, that's a really good idea. If you put that in the feedback, I'll put some points to support it.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2010 2:16:16 AM

enzo matrix said:
Actually, that's a really good idea. If you put that in the feedback, I'll put some points to support it.

What would you think about a Retro Hardware forum?
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2010 5:02:28 AM

I would like a Retro Hardware forum too.Myself I don't mind retrocomputing as sometimes it's stil fun to play with 486's,Pentiums,Pentium II's,III's etc or even
other platforms Apple II's,Old Macs,C64's,Amigas other oddball 80's or even 70's microcomputers.If you just want to stick with retro PC's that's O.K. with me too.
There are some nice sites about vintage computers.Here are some
http://www.digibarn.com/
http://vintage-computer.com/
Notice I didn't include all of them though.
Score
a c 133 à CPUs
August 23, 2010 1:02:10 PM

king smp said:
What would you think about a Retro Hardware forum?

That would be really cool too. I'm surprised we don't have one.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2010 2:42:00 PM

jj463rd said:
I would like a Retro Hardware forum too.Myself I don't mind retrocomputing as sometimes it's stil fun to play with 486's,Pentiums,Pentium II's,III's etc or even
other platforms Apple II's,Old Macs,C64's,Amigas other oddball 80's or even 70's microcomputers.If you just want to stick with retro PC's that's O.K. with me too.
There are some nice sites about vintage computers.Here are some
http://www.digibarn.com/
http://vintage-computer.com/
Notice I didn't include all of them though.

Thank you for the links. I will definitely check them out.
I have a TRS-80 Color Computer (128k ram!) with a 5 1/4 drive in my mom's attic
that i want to show my daughter.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2012 2:48:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score