Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Second Hard Drive Spins Up Only When Used

Last response: in Storage
August 15, 2012 7:02:52 AM

Basically, my Seagate HD only spins up when the computer needs to access it. Its a secondary HD used for games and storage. This is very annoying because there can a be a 3 second pause where the computer halts all activity until the hard drive is spinning.

How can I change the settings so the hard drive runs all the time when the computer is turned on, just like it would if the OS was running off of it?

Thanks.

More about : hard drive spins

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 15, 2012 7:13:48 AM

It's probably because of your power settings tell the hard disks to shut off after a certain period. Check that out to see whether it is enabled.
a c 371 G Storage
August 15, 2012 12:24:22 PM

If it's a green drive, they are built to do this. That's one of the ways they conserve power.
m
l
Related resources
a c 288 G Storage
August 16, 2012 10:27:19 AM

If it is an APM issue, then you could use QuietHDD to circumvent it.

Alternatively, you could use a HDDScan or CrystalDiskInfo command line to disable APM automatically at every bootup.

Hdparm may be a better alternative. You could launch it automatically from the Startup group from a BAT file. After hdparm does its thing, it then terminates and exits, leaving no impact on your resources.
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:20:16 AM

Best answer selected by FrenchBread.
m
l
August 20, 2012 2:22:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. It was a power management problem. Under advanced power settings, the hard disk was set to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Silly me for thinking that selecting "High Performance" under power options would keep this from happening.
m
l
!