PLEASE HELP! Installed new ram...now just a black screen

jeremymc1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hello,
I have seen a couple of different threads on this, but nothing has worked so far for me. I have a ASUS motherboard, quad core with 4 gig of ram (DDR3 1600MHz (2 sticks = 4 gig). I have four slots total (the other two are DDR2). Running Win7 Ultimate. Anyway, I got some new ram today, Sector5 4 gig sticks from Fry's Electronics. I powered off my desktop, unplugged it, made sure I was grounded, removed the old ram and put the new ram in place. I plugged the machine back in, turned it on and the screen remains black. The computer runs, the fans are going, no beeps, but no lights on the keyboard when I press cap lock, nothing on the screen, etc. I then put the old ram back in, thinking perhaps the new ram was bad, but I get the same thing. I have made sure they are in there nice and snug, but nothing works. I tried popping out the battery multiple times, waiting various lengths of time, etc, but nothing is helping. I took the video card out, unplugged all USB devices, etc, but still nothing. Please help!

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I assume its the asus p45 combo mobo. try booting with only 1 stick (2gb) of ddr3 installed. if the ram has some specific timings and voltages, go in bios and manually set them. log in windows, then shut down your pc. install the second ddr3 ram, boot again. note: i belive your mobo doesn't support 1600Mhz ddr3. combo mobos do up to 1333Mhz on the ram, usually 1066Mhz. U probably need to lower the ram clock. If u cant boot at all, try lowering your FSB bus, it will also lower the ram.
ddr2/3 combo mobos are very delicate. u might need to lower your fsb if u have overclocked your cpu or fsb. I bet in the instruction manual of your mobo there is a dedicated section for ddr3 installation, i recomed u read it. if u dont have it, u can download it from asus support web site.

jeremymc1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

Figured it out...it was the motherboard. Not sure how it happened, but the motherboard shorted out. I have replaced it now after testing every component and she is running good as new! Thanks!

Jeremy