Find tool and network drives

How do I keep the find tool searches from chasing down all network
drives?

If I start a search on C:\ it ends ups searching the full contents of
4 computers.

That should never happen unless you're mounting a folder to some other
volume. Make sure the cursor (in the left-hand pane) is on C:\ before you
click search ("Look in:" box should indicate 'Local Disk (C:)")

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> writes:

> That should never happen unless you're mounting a folder to some
> other volume. Make sure the cursor (in the left-hand pane) is on C:\
> before you click search ("Look in:" box should indicate 'Local Disk
> (C:)")

Sorry I was so long getting back to this.
Let me try to describe this a little better:

I am putting the cursor on C: but still it chases down all network
drives.

Please look at this series of Screen shots displaying what I see
here. (You'll need your browser opened full screen)

http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/

Watch the slide show or click on the thumbnails in order.

You will see that the search starts out on C:\ but then starts
following the mapped drives, then might jump back to C:\ etc.

I'm not sure what you meant by `mounting a folder to some other drive'
but these drives were mapped with Explorer `Map drive' tool and are
drives on remote machines mapped to letters on local machine.

What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'User
Accounts').

--

"Harry Putnam" wrote:
| Sorry I was so long getting back to this.
| Let me try to describe this a little better:
|
| I am putting the cursor on C: but still it chases down all network
| drives.
|
| Please look at this series of Screen shots displaying what I see
| here. (You'll need your browser opened full screen)
|
| http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/
|
| Watch the slide show or click on the thumbnails in order.
|
| You will see that the search starts out on C:\ but then starts
| following the mapped drives, then might jump back to C:\ etc.
|
| I'm not sure what you meant by `mounting a folder to some other drive'
| but these drives were mapped with Explorer `Map drive' tool and are
| drives on remote machines mapped to letters on local machine.

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> writes:

> What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'User
> Accounts').

I won't be able to do that for a while since I'm running backups of 8
drives on 2 machines right now. However, can you explain what you
hope to learn from that proceedure?

I suspect it is user-profile specific and this would confirm it one way or
the other.

--

"Harry Putnam" wrote:
| I won't be able to do that for a while since I'm running backups of 8
| drives on 2 machines right now. However, can you explain what you
| hope to learn from that proceedure?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> writes:

> I suspect it is user-profile specific and this would confirm it one way or
> the other.

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Harry Putnam" wrote:
> | I won't be able to do that for a while since I'm running backups of 8
> | drives on 2 machines right now. However, can you explain what you
> | hope to learn from that proceedure?

Well, for a new user no drives will be mapped so I doubt the problem
would come up. If you meant to add a new user and map some drives
then.. it does happen the same way.

I created new user and mapped one drive. Mapped C:\ on a remote
machine to U:\. Now here it gets really crazy.

Run a search of C:\ on local machine as pictured on web display. And
the search goes to U:\. But it doesn't stop there.

On that remote machine... its C:\ is mapped to local U:\ but the
search actually jumps to differnet drives even under U:\. That is it
jumps to other drives on the remote. I know that cannot be the
intended result...

As this diagram:
(On newly created account)
local C:\ search starts here
local U:\ Jumps here (mapped to C:\ on remote)
remote E:\ (not mapped) jumps here (E:\ on remote)
remote D:\ (not mapped) jumps here (D:\ on remote)

So it even transverses drives that are not mapped.

Rather odd indeed. Possibly something's amiss here.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory