Find tool and network drives

How do I keep the find tool searches from chasing down all network
drives?

If I start a search on C:\ it ends ups searching the full contents of
4 computers.
7 answers Last reply
More about find tool network drives

    That should never happen unless you're mounting a folder to some other
    volume. Make sure the cursor (in the left-hand pane) is on C:\ before you
    click search ("Look in:" box should indicate 'Local Disk (C:)")

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> writes:

    > That should never happen unless you're mounting a folder to some
    > other volume. Make sure the cursor (in the left-hand pane) is on C:\
    > before you click search ("Look in:" box should indicate 'Local Disk
    > (C:)")

    Sorry I was so long getting back to this.
    Let me try to describe this a little better:

    I am putting the cursor on C: but still it chases down all network
    drives.

    Please look at this series of Screen shots displaying what I see
    here. (You'll need your browser opened full screen)

    http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/

    Watch the slide show or click on the thumbnails in order.

    You will see that the search starts out on C:\ but then starts
    following the mapped drives, then might jump back to C:\ etc.

    I'm not sure what you meant by `mounting a folder to some other drive'
    but these drives were mapped with Explorer `Map drive' tool and are
    drives on remote machines mapped to letters on local machine.

    What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'User
    Accounts').

    --

    "Harry Putnam" wrote:
    | Sorry I was so long getting back to this.
    | Let me try to describe this a little better:
    |
    | I am putting the cursor on C: but still it chases down all network
    | drives.
    |
    | Please look at this series of Screen shots displaying what I see
    | here. (You'll need your browser opened full screen)
    |
    | http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/
    |
    | Watch the slide show or click on the thumbnails in order.
    |
    | You will see that the search starts out on C:\ but then starts
    | following the mapped drives, then might jump back to C:\ etc.
    |
    | I'm not sure what you meant by `mounting a folder to some other drive'
    | but these drives were mapped with Explorer `Map drive' tool and are
    | drives on remote machines mapped to letters on local machine.

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> writes:

    > What happens if you logon as a new user? (create a new account in 'User
    > Accounts').

    I won't be able to do that for a while since I'm running backups of 8
    drives on 2 machines right now. However, can you explain what you
    hope to learn from that proceedure?

    I suspect it is user-profile specific and this would confirm it one way or
    the other.

    --

    "Harry Putnam" wrote:
    | I won't be able to do that for a while since I'm running backups of 8
    | drives on 2 machines right now. However, can you explain what you
    | hope to learn from that proceedure?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> writes:

    > I suspect it is user-profile specific and this would confirm it one way or
    > the other.

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Harry Putnam" wrote:
    > | I won't be able to do that for a while since I'm running backups of 8
    > | drives on 2 machines right now. However, can you explain what you
    > | hope to learn from that proceedure?

    Well, for a new user no drives will be mapped so I doubt the problem
    would come up. If you meant to add a new user and map some drives
    then.. it does happen the same way.

    I created new user and mapped one drive. Mapped C:\ on a remote
    machine to U:\. Now here it gets really crazy.

    Run a search of C:\ on local machine as pictured on web display. And
    the search goes to U:\. But it doesn't stop there.

    On that remote machine... its C:\ is mapped to local U:\ but the
    search actually jumps to differnet drives even under U:\. That is it
    jumps to other drives on the remote. I know that cannot be the
    intended result...

    As this diagram:
    (On newly created account)
    local C:\ search starts here
    local U:\ Jumps here (mapped to C:\ on remote)
    remote E:\ (not mapped) jumps here (E:\ on remote)
    remote D:\ (not mapped) jumps here (D:\ on remote)

    So it even transverses drives that are not mapped.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Rather odd indeed. Possibly something's amiss here.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory

    --

    "Harry Putnam" wrote:
    | Well, for a new user no drives will be mapped so I doubt the problem
    | would come up. If you meant to add a new user and map some drives
    | then.. it does happen the same way.
    |
    | I created new user and mapped one drive. Mapped C:\ on a remote
    | machine to U:\. Now here it gets really crazy.
    |
    | Run a search of C:\ on local machine as pictured on web display. And
    | the search goes to U:\. But it doesn't stop there.
    |
    | On that remote machine... its C:\ is mapped to local U:\ but the
    | search actually jumps to differnet drives even under U:\. That is it
    | jumps to other drives on the remote. I know that cannot be the
    | intended result...
    |
    | As this diagram:
    | (On newly created account)
    | local C:\ search starts here
    | local U:\ Jumps here (mapped to C:\ on remote)
    | remote E:\ (not mapped) jumps here (E:\ on remote)
    | remote D:\ (not mapped) jumps here (D:\ on remote)
    |
    | So it even transverses drives that are not mapped.

Configuration Microsoft Computers Windows XP