Sign in with
Your question

Stuck in permanent "Reset" state?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2010 7:59:31 AM

Hi all,

A couple of months ago my PC switched off within the first few minutes of playing Portal. It wouldn't turn back on again so I figured I'd replace the power supply - the PC is now a few years old so I didn't think too much of it.

Last month it happened again, so I replaced the PSU, but now I seem to have another issue where the unit is powering up and either not progressing to the POST, or just switching itself off after a few seconds.

I thought it might be the motherboard so I also replaced that but the same thing happened. I took out the possible offending components, ie RAM, video card, unplugged all the drives etc, but still nothing changed. It wasn't until last night that I noticed that it seems be mimicking what happens when I hold the reset button - in my case, the hard drive light stays on and and I get a "no signal" message on the monitor.

It seems that replacing the PSU has resolved the initial power issue, but now I'm thinking that - and bear in mind I have very little electrical or electronic expertise - maybe there's an issue with the power/reset switches on the case or that something somewhere has shorted out?

Thanks
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2010 4:45:34 PM

It sounds like a power supply issue. What is your system setup and what is the brand and model of your new power supply?
a b ) Power supply
August 20, 2010 4:49:34 PM

are you sure you have the 4 or 8pin cpu power connector securely attached to the motherboard. and check the big 20/24 pi nconnection too.
a c 144 ) Power supply
August 20, 2010 5:57:28 PM

If it doesn't seem to be a power issue, you can eliminate the possibility of a problem with the reset switch by simply unplugging the reset switch.
!