Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which graphics cards are best for 64bit OS 2010

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 7:53:38 PM

want to update my graphics card and i am wandering, if some graphics cards are better than others on 64bit OS (XP X86)

My system:
asus p5kc.
pent dual core 8200 series(2.6 ghz)
6g ram
4 hard drives(T2.5)
1usb hard drive(250 G)
inno 7200/300 graphics (250 MB) PC E
PSU 400w

i am not a gamer, i run music applications and up to now, i got away with abasic PC E card.
i was runing xp 32 and 64 bit, and the 32 bit OS always responded faster.
via the fact i got more apps runing on the 64bit i can only put this down to one of two things, the graphics card being a bit basic or/and too many background programs running. i got extra banking security rapport,registry mechanic, kaspersky. i defrag regularly and run reg cleaner and i keep the front hard drive about 30% storage capacity.

Dave Lynne
May 14, 2010 8:10:47 PM

With Vista and 7, 64bit is almost no different than 32bit other than the memory support.

XP is entirely a different story. 64bit XP uses the Windows Server 2003 kernel, so it will run slower no matter what compared to 32bit XP. It won't matter which video card you use.
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 8:18:17 PM

The switch from 32bit to 64bit shouldn't be affected much by the video card. The switch does allow your system to use more Memory all together, which means utilizing all 6GB of RAM you have, and however much memory is on your graphics card.

If you're using a 32bit OS, your 6GB of RAM is a waste.

Pick up a new copy of Windows 7 64bit. You'll be happier. :) 
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 10:01:19 PM

dgingeri said:
With Vista and 7, 64bit is almost no different than 32bit other than the memory support.

XP is entirely a different story. 64bit XP uses the Windows Server 2003 kernel, so it will run slower no matter what compared to 32bit XP. It won't matter which video card you use.


thanks , windows 7 64bit is looking good. I had not consider OS to be the problem. I should have realised, i been with sonar(DAW) since version 7, every so often there a major over hall, same goes for operating systems.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 14, 2010 10:03:37 PM

jerreece said:
The switch from 32bit to 64bit shouldn't be affected much by the video card. The switch does allow your system to use more Memory all together, which means utilizing all 6GB of RAM you have, and however much memory is on your graphics card.

If you're using a 32bit OS, your 6GB of RAM is a waste.

Pick up a new copy of Windows 7 64bit. You'll be happier. :) 


thanks, I will
May 15, 2010 8:38:43 AM

I assume you still want to change your graphics card, & with regards to your original question, do you play games very often? What is your budget?
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2010 8:40:04 PM

Dave,

If you still are interested in a graphics card upgrade, let us all know what type of applications you run, and what resolution your monitor maximizes at. That way we can help suggest what you need.

One thing I can say now, modern graphics cards are usually going to have 1GB of RAM on board (yours now is 250MB you said). All depends on what you want to do though. For basic office type applications though (since you said you don't game) a decent 512MB video card should handle Windows 7 and the Aero desktop features perfectly fine.
May 20, 2010 10:25:23 PM

ksampanna said:
I assume you still want to change your graphics card, & with regards to your original question, do you play games very often? What is your budget?
i'm not interested in games my graphics only need to be good enough for my daw sonar 8.5, streaming files and instructional videos/dvds/ as it goes my present card nvidia gforce 7200/300 series ram 250 does the job...oh by the way my screen is LCD Hewitt Packard resolution 1400 900 of the top of my head or there a bouts. ishould also mention i've installed MAC osx snow leopard 6.2 on a separate hard drive. upgraded sound card to external USB sound card (for mac drivers) the only thing that's not right is the graphics i get a great picture when playing movies and logos and annimations but any text based applications like terminal,pdfs or browser text is very grainy and hard to read. this is another reason, i was thinking of upgrading my card. The mac os is really just for fun, it would cost me a ton of money and a massive learning circle to get all the software i have or similar, and to be-able to use it!!! its a no brainer really. with that in mind i might go for- ASUS EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI Graphics adapter - 512 MB - DDR3 SDRAM.
May 20, 2010 10:26:01 PM

jerreece said:
Dave,

If you still are interested in a graphics card upgrade, let us all know what type of applications you run, and what resolution your monitor maximizes at. That way we can help suggest what you need.

One thing I can say now, modern graphics cards are usually going to have 1GB of RAM on board (yours now is 250MB you said). All depends on what you want to do though. For basic office type applications though (since you said you don't game) a decent 512MB video card should handle Windows 7 and the Aero desktop features perfectly fine.
i'm not interested in games my graphics only need to be good enough for my daw sonar 8.5, streaming files and instructional videos/dvds/ as it goes my present card nvidia gforce 7200/300 series ram 250 does the job...oh by the way my screen is LCD Hewitt Packard resolution 1400 900 of the top of my head or there a bouts. ishould also mention i've installed MAC osx snow leopard 6.2 on a separate hard drive. upgraded sound card to external USB sound card (for mac drivers) the only thing that's not right is the graphics i get a great picture when playing movies and logos and annimations but any text based applications like terminal,pdfs or browser text is very grainy and hard to read. this is another reason, i was thinking of upgrading my card. The mac os is really just for fun, it would cost me a ton of money and a massive learning circle to get all the software i have or similar, and to be-able to use it!!! its a no brainer really. with that in mind i might go for- ASUS EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI Graphics adapter - 512 MB - DDR3 SDRAM.
May 20, 2010 10:28:09 PM

ksampanna said:
I assume you still want to change your graphics card, & with regards to your original question, do you play games very often? What is your budget?
i'm not interested in games my graphics only need to be good enough for my daw sonar 8.5, streaming files and instructional videos/dvds/ as it goes my present card nvidia gforce 7200/300 series ram 250 does the job...oh by the way my screen is LCD Hewitt Packard resolution 1400 900 of the top of my head or there a bouts. ishould also mention i've installed MAC osx snow leopard 6.2 on a separate hard drive. upgraded sound card to external USB sound card (for mac drivers) the only thing that's not right is the graphics i get a great picture when playing movies and logos and annimations but any text based applications like terminal,pdfs or browser text is very grainy and hard to read. this is another reason, i was thinking of upgrading my card. The mac os is really just for fun, it would cost me a ton of money and a massive learning circle to get all the software i have or similar, and to be-able to use it!!! its a no brainer really. with that in mind i might go for- ASUS EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI Graphics adapter - 512 MB - DDR3 SDRAM.
!