Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Anyone currently using Atom?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 8:52:51 AM

So, I get this great offer from a local computer store of an Intel Atom's build which can be purchased with 12 months installments. I've calculated the whole components, and it turns out that the offer is cheaper than DIY , although it seems fishy to me :heink: 

Check this out (it's in Bahasa Indonesia, but the specs are intelligible):

Rp. 2.082.000 is approx. equal to $230.

DIY details (rough estimation):

MB: $80
RAM: $40
Case: $30
HDD: $50
ODD: $25
K+M: $15
UFD: $ 10

Total: $250

What do you think? Another question is, since I'll use this setup as my second PC for everyday use, does anyone here using an Atom? I want to know the real life experience, not benchmarks numbers. All opinions welcome :) 

More about : atom

a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 9:06:16 AM

I can read a bit of Indonesian, but by a bit I mean... a bit. Like kecil is small in the Comments section. Other words are quite obvious, like produk = product, teknologi = technology. :D 

My dad's netbook has a single core Atom N280 I believe, and it runs quite fast for such a small processor. It can play YouTube videos just fine, and works well for office applications and playing flash games online.

The dual core Atom would be more than twice as fast, seeing as its a desktop version too and should be fine. It's actually faster than you'd think.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 11:39:49 AM

Lmeow said:
I can read a bit of Indonesian, but by a bit I mean... a bit. Like kecil is small in the Comments section. Other words are quite obvious, like produk = product, teknologi = technology. :D 

My dad's netbook has a single core Atom N280 I believe, and it runs quite fast for such a small processor. It can play YouTube videos just fine, and works well for office applications and playing flash games online.

The dual core Atom would be more than twice as fast, seeing as its a desktop version too and should be fine. It's actually faster than you'd think.

You can read Indonesian? That's a surprise, since the only country I know that studies Bahasa Indonesia is Australia. I've seen it somewhere in the news :p 

Being dual core, even at low 1.6GHz speed, the Atom D510 must be faster than a single core. My current PC is an Athlon II 2.8GHz, so I can imagine the processing power of the dual core Atom. Well, kinda :sweat: 

I heard Youtube can play HD videos now, have you tried using the notebook to play it? I know it's mainly depends on the GPU, since Intel has the HD GMA for HD videos (duh!). I just wanted to know how much the Atom struggles to deliver HD video contents frame by frame... :lol: 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 20, 2010 11:48:08 PM

^ My parents lived in Indonesia for most of their life, that's why.

For 1080p video, I'm not sure, the screen size of my dad's Atom laptop is quite small. Never really tried hooking it up to a 1080p monitor, and I don't know where it is lol.

Remember the Atom D510 has Hyper-Threading too so it's quite a decent CPU.
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2010 4:38:53 AM

Well, I guess I'll just have to find out by myself then.

Most of their life? Wow! Your parents must really feel comfortable here... :D 

Since no one else is using Atom here, the best answer goes to you, mate!
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2010 4:39:40 AM

Best answer selected by damasvara.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2010 7:47:37 AM

:D  Thanks.
m
l