T.R. Legend trailer

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2005 12:17:54 PM

Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml

Mean Marine

"lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

More about : legend trailer

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:58:53 PM

does anyone know--did Crystal Dynamics use the same engine that Core
used for AOD? Is this a new build? Is the characater model built new as
well or just modified?

Cinefyl
April 30, 2005 6:45:23 PM

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Hmm, that is interesting I must say. A bit like AOD, but seeming to have
smoother actions and more traditional aspects to it. I was particularly
pleased to see the multiple forward/backward flip sequence and the more
conventional jump sequences. The shooting also looked quite good, with what
looked like Lara making use of guns fixed to the surroundings, like in TR3
crash site.

My only reservation is a lot of the trailer seemed to be in a "city" type
area. I hope that they get the balance right here - I felt AOD was waaayyyyy
too biased in this direction, and seeing as the name of the game is
operative here "TOMB RAIDER" one would hope for a fair whack of natural
scenery and tomb type surroundings.

Still, it all looks promising, and I am looking forward to the first demo
( I mean that is to say I assume there will be one....)

Kieran
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 6:52:40 PM

Hmmm...

Different overall look, but has some tradition aspects. There's a bit of
it that reminds me of TR1 (bouncing off the sloping ledges to go
upwards, a la Midas Palace) Looks like the twin pistols are still there.

There's also some screenshots available on the official site which I'm
sure weren't there a couple of weeks ago.

I'm intrigued

Mark.

Mean Marine wrote:
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:44:16 PM

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)

McG. <thanks!>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 9:50:28 PM

"Kieran" <kieran.jazzNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 5025j$hpl$1@pump1.york.ac.uk
> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>
>> Mean Marine
>>
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>>

> Hmm, that is interesting I must say. A bit like AOD, but seeming to
> have smoother actions and more traditional aspects to it. I was
> particularly pleased to see the multiple forward/backward flip
> sequence and the more conventional jump sequences. The shooting also
> looked quite good, with what looked like Lara making use of guns
> fixed to the surroundings, like in TR3 crash site.
>
> My only reservation is a lot of the trailer seemed to be in a "city"
> type area. I hope that they get the balance right here - I felt AOD
> was waaayyyyy too biased in this direction, and seeing as the name of
> the game is operative here "TOMB RAIDER" one would hope for a fair
> whack of natural scenery and tomb type surroundings.
>
> Still, it all looks promising, and I am looking forward to the first
> demo ( I mean that is to say I assume there will be one....)
>
> Kieran

Game controls look to be about what we had in TR3/4. If that's the
case, then THIS is DOABLE :)  They gotta take the "gun control ai" outta
there :(  In TR2, the area after the Yeti cages, you had to jump like
that to get out of that part :)  This looks kinda fun :)
BTW- someone has been fixing the Tombraider Legend site Lara model in
that Flash 3D thing. They fixed the crotch joint but flubbed a couple
frames following on the right hip/front thigh/gun n holster ;)
McG.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 8:05:56 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Mean Marine was heard, at
about 04/30/2005 08:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Definitely, thanks for that.

For the first time since the day *before* AOD arrived, I actually
anticipate good things.

The moves of Lara walking still looked a little stilted. But gun scenes
give definite hope that they've dropped that stupidity in attack mode.

The jumps, rolls, and flips definitely reminded me of TR4. The scenery,
of ... dare I say ... TR1! Except for the city scenes, of course ...
oh, and that one TR3-ish gun emplacement. The city scenes reminded me
of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked it!

The graphics, overall, look to me to be somewhere between TR 4 and 6.
Slightly simpler (lower polys?) than 6 but still with dynamic shadows,
improved textures. At first I thought that jump-backflip-jumpgrab
sequence looked a bit cartoonish, until I realized that was just the
angle on her shadow. Anticipation ... what is *casting* that shadow!?
Looked like fire light to me. Must be a *big* fire!

I believe there was a brand new attack move in there. The "rolling
kick"? Now *that* I can see fitting in with the old style controls.
Rolling on the run was never good for too much besides a little speed
through cramped quarters ... which always seemed contrived to me.

A definite mix of cut scenes, FMVs and gameplay. I *liked* the closeups
of Lara. Some real expression on that face. Reminded me of "the
interview" trailer they released a while back.

I'll have to watch it a few more times to look for subtleties ... :)

---
PW
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:00:06 AM

As far as I know they completely abandonded the AOD-engine in favor of
their own one .

Saw the trailer and a couple of things were noticable ( that is : if
this is in-game footage ) :
- she moves far more natural compared to AOD - the good old jumping is
back !!
- the level of detail on LAra is very high - don't knwo about the
textures , but that's of secondary importance
- the EYES , lol

If this trailer is a sign of things to come I'm quite optimistic about
the end-result .Remains to be seen how the controls work out though (
and hope they got rid of the annoying camera-stuff in AOD and the
involuntary wall-hugging ) .I'm kind of hoping CD will understand
there was nothing wrong with the the way things worked in TR1-5 , and
that just the graphics needed to be updated significantly .

Let's face it : what we want most is an enjoyable game ( implying a
PLAYABLE game ) and to have loads of atmosphere . Another good thing I
noticed - although only very briefly - it seems we'll have her
swimming also :)

As far as I could tell from that very short trailer there's a
city,jungle-like environment , place where she'll be required to swim
and some kind of ancient temple in the game .

They sure got rid of the AOD-engne by the looks of the trailer though
, doesn't look anything like TRAOD .

On 30 Apr 2005 13:58:53 -0700, "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote:

>does anyone know--did Crystal Dynamics use the same engine that Core
>used for AOD? Is this a new build? Is the characater model built new as
>well or just modified?
>
>Cinefyl
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:46:05 PM

<rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> As far as I know they completely abandonded the AOD-engine in favor of
> their own one .
>
> Saw the trailer and a couple of things were noticable ( that is : if
> this is in-game footage ) :
> - she moves far more natural compared to AOD - the good old jumping is
> back !!

YES YES YES!!!

> - the level of detail on LAra is very high - don't knwo about the
> textures , but that's of secondary importance
> - the EYES , lol

Cool! :)

> If this trailer is a sign of things to come I'm quite optimistic about
> the end-result .Remains to be seen how the controls work out though (
> and hope they got rid of the annoying camera-stuff in AOD and the
> involuntary wall-hugging ) .I'm kind of hoping CD will understand
> there was nothing wrong with the the way things worked in TR1-5 , and
> that just the graphics needed to be updated significantly .

SOME things in Lara appear really highly detailed in this trailer. Like
her face and hands. Back of her head? Nope, hard corners (low poly
areas) with her head, hair, shoulders. The Lara anims appear FAR more
realistic in this trailer than in AoD though. Not only does the walk
seem more natural, in Laras jumps the models behaviour seems to obey
physics (gravity) pretty well. As long as there are constants we can
adjust to, we do fine with a little unrealism in the physics end.
Though sticking closer to what we perceive as "real" will help the
immersion. She still has quite an arsenal at her disposal from the look
of the trailer too :)

I hope the maroon arrows are simply indicative of a seperate "look"
mode.
No more involuntary wall hugging, jumping to the enemy when gun(s)
drawn, attaching to ladders, pipes, ropes.

> Let's face it : what we want most is an enjoyable game ( implying a
> PLAYABLE game ) and to have loads of atmosphere . Another good thing I
> noticed - although only very briefly - it seems we'll have her
> swimming also :)
>
> As far as I could tell from that very short trailer there's a
> city,jungle-like environment , place where she'll be required to swim
> and some kind of ancient temple in the game .
>
> They sure got rid of the AOD-engne by the looks of the trailer though
> , doesn't look anything like TRAOD .

No, it doesn't look like AoD. Kinda sad in a way, that engine had tons
of potential. This one in the trailer though, must be newer. It looks
like something I'd want to play. So, now I guess I'll start getting my
hopes up. One other thing I hope they give us: a level editor, and
just the possibility of some kind of multiplayer.
McG.

> On 30 Apr 2005 13:58:53 -0700, "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> does anyone know--did Crystal Dynamics use the same engine that Core
>> used for AOD? Is this a new build? Is the characater model built new
>> as well or just modified?
>>
>> Cinefyl
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 1:52:08 PM

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Mean Marine was heard, at
> about 04/30/2005 08:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>
>> Mean Marine
>>
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>>

> Definitely, thanks for that.
>
> For the first time since the day *before* AOD arrived, I actually
> anticipate good things.
>
> The moves of Lara walking still looked a little stilted. But gun
> scenes give definite hope that they've dropped that stupidity in
> attack mode.
> The jumps, rolls, and flips definitely reminded me of TR4. The
> scenery, of ... dare I say ... TR1! Except for the city scenes, of
> course ... oh, and that one TR3-ish gun emplacement. The city scenes
> reminded me of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but
> *I* liked it!
> The graphics, overall, look to me to be somewhere between TR 4 and 6.
> Slightly simpler (lower polys?) than 6 but still with dynamic shadows,
> improved textures. At first I thought that jump-backflip-jumpgrab
> sequence looked a bit cartoonish, until I realized that was just the
> angle on her shadow. Anticipation ... what is *casting* that shadow!?
> Looked like fire light to me. Must be a *big* fire!
>
> I believe there was a brand new attack move in there. The "rolling
> kick"? Now *that* I can see fitting in with the old style controls.
> Rolling on the run was never good for too much besides a little speed
> through cramped quarters ... which always seemed contrived to me.
>
> A definite mix of cut scenes, FMVs and gameplay. I *liked* the
> closeups of Lara. Some real expression on that face. Reminded me of
> "the interview" trailer they released a while back.

I like this mix. Really makes you want More!

> I'll have to watch it a few more times to look for subtleties ... :)
>
> ---
> PW

Keep watching, and talking! Two minds are better than one. I'm a
little disappointed in the allocation of polys in the Lara model. The
"world" is looking pretty darn good. Stilted anims? Like Lara looks a
bit stiff, not as 'loose' in the arms and shoulders, neck and head, as
natural moving produces? Her hair looks awful... like it's full of
hardened "Do-Gel" or something.
So far, the overall look is better than I would expect after watching
the Flash anim on the website though.
McG.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:48:17 PM

<rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> As far as I know they completely abandonded the AOD-engine in favor of
> their own one .
>
> Saw the trailer and a couple of things were noticable ( that is : if
> this is in-game footage ) :
> - she moves far more natural compared to AOD - the good old jumping is
> back !!
> - the level of detail on LAra is very high - don't knwo about the
> textures , but that's of secondary importance
> - the EYES , lol
>
> If this trailer is a sign of things to come I'm quite optimistic about
> the end-result .Remains to be seen how the controls work out though (
> and hope they got rid of the annoying camera-stuff in AOD and the
> involuntary wall-hugging ) .I'm kind of hoping CD will understand
> there was nothing wrong with the the way things worked in TR1-5 , and
> that just the graphics needed to be updated significantly .
>
> Let's face it : what we want most is an enjoyable game ( implying a
> PLAYABLE game ) and to have loads of atmosphere . Another good thing I
> noticed - although only very briefly - it seems we'll have her
> swimming also :)
>
> As far as I could tell from that very short trailer there's a
> city,jungle-like environment , place where she'll be required to swim
> and some kind of ancient temple in the game .
>
> They sure got rid of the AOD-engne by the looks of the trailer though
> , doesn't look anything like TRAOD .
>

> On 30 Apr 2005 13:58:53 -0700, "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> does anyone know--did Crystal Dynamics use the same engine that Core
>> used for AOD? Is this a new build? Is the characater model built new
>> as well or just modified?
>>
>> Cinefyl

Another thought; looks like the sequences are based on "ad hype",
push/sell with the action and violence. There are a lot of us that are
hoping the violence would be less, not more. That Lara is more the
exploring adventuress. Like in Gordian Slash's "Forerunner" story :)
Quite like in the first TR. Sure, there was Larson and Pierre
throughout the whole game. There were the ancient deadly traps to deal
with. Wild critters. But less of it than in later releases. To me,
that helped make it a great adventure. In TR3, the entire game seemed
more along those lines of reasoning too. More so in the India/Jungle
areas. Oh well, it's still looking better than I thought it might.
Despite any apparent negatives or criticism I post about Legends, I am
eagerly anticipating it!
McG.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 5:59:16 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> Her hair looks awful... like it's full of
> hardened "Do-Gel" or something.
> So far, the overall look is better than I would expect after watching
> the Flash anim on the website though.
> McG.

I noticed the hair, and watched the clip a few more times. In the first
10 seconds or so, her hair has a very rigid appearance, later in the
clip it is much more flexible, although it's not very easy to spot in
the gameplay sequence.

The motorbike model also looks incomplete as it it lacking essentials
like axles and spokes from the wheels.

There's some screenshots and stuff on
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/index.html

Mark.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 7:20:21 PM

"Liability Grimwood" <spamtrapmdg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Her hair looks awful... like it's full of
>> hardened "Do-Gel" or something.
>> So far, the overall look is better than I would expect after watching
>> the Flash anim on the website though.
>> McG.
>
> I noticed the hair, and watched the clip a few more times. In the
> first 10 seconds or so, her hair has a very rigid appearance, later
> in the clip it is much more flexible, although it's not very easy to
> spot in the gameplay sequence.
>
> The motorbike model also looks incomplete as it it lacking essentials
> like axles and spokes from the wheels.
>
> There's some screenshots and stuff on
> http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/index.html
>
> Mark.

Thanks for that. Seems that TRC.com has access to a 3D view we don't?
Hm! Yep, just checked again. Lara doesn't raise her arms at all in
ours. Well hey! A little looking around TRC.com and I found that one
and yet another one. Great!
If they're still developing the game, I'm sure there will need to be
plenty of 'fixing up' yet to do. I really do want the game, but I also
don't want to see them push out another fiasco like AoD turned out to
be.
McG.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:33:03 PM

Pistol Whipped wrote:
> The city scenes reminded me
> of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked it!

The city scenes here looked like it was set in Tokyo, that should be
interesting. Loved the 'tomb' type settings too (all those back
flips..../rubs hands with glee), and there seemed to be an air of WWII
to it, something about the barbed wire conjured up feelings of war time
to me.

Andrea
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:25:06 AM

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>
>> Mean Marine
>>
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>
>Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>
>McG. <thanks!>

<darted off to DL/view trailer>

What he said.

If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
once, McG.

Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.

Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
on there.

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:01:34 PM

"Unadulterated Me" <froupaccount@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
news:D 53scv$6a3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Pistol Whipped wrote:
> > The city scenes reminded me
> > of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked it!
> >

> The city scenes here looked like it was set in Tokyo, that should be
> interesting. Loved the 'tomb' type settings too (all those back
> flips..../rubs hands with glee), and there seemed to be an air of WWII
> to it, something about the barbed wire conjured up feelings of war time
> to me.
>
> Andrea

WWII? Hmm...but with futuristic looking surveillance devices and motorbikes!

I'd really rather it not, it wouldn't be very TRey, besides which I think
the gaming market is flooded enough with games that celebrate real wars. It
makes me angry and a little sick.

Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e taken the
ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or lock-on crossfire
aiming. Very exciting.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:01:35 PM

"Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> "Unadulterated Me" <froupaccount@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:D 53scv$6a3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Pistol Whipped wrote:
>>> The city scenes reminded me
>>> of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked
>>> it!
>>>

>> The city scenes here looked like it was set in Tokyo, that should be
>> interesting. Loved the 'tomb' type settings too (all those back
>> flips..../rubs hands with glee), and there seemed to be an air of
>> WWII to it, something about the barbed wire conjured up feelings of
>> war time to me.
>>
>> Andrea
>
> WWII? Hmm...but with futuristic looking surveillance devices and
> motorbikes!
>
> I'd really rather it not, it wouldn't be very TRey, besides which I
> think the gaming market is flooded enough with games that celebrate
> real wars. It makes me angry and a little sick.
>
> Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e
> taken the ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or
> lock-on crossfire aiming. Very exciting.

Time will tell. This seems only the beginning!
McG.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 2:24:24 AM

"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
>> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>>
>>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>>
>>> Mean Marine
>>>
>>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>>
>> Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>>
>> McG. <thanks!>
>>
> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>
> What he said.
>
> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
> once, McG.
>
> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>
> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
> on there.
>

> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred
You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
"good" at it. I enjoy it :)
I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
some parts are :)
P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
McG.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:45:44 AM

"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
> >"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> >> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
> >>
> >> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
> >>
> >> Mean Marine
> >>
> >> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
> >
> >Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
> >
> >McG. <thanks!>
> >
> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>
> What he said.
>
> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
> once, McG.

Yeah, I'd imagine you'd need to upgrade your vid card, everything else
should be fine (except for it being a notebook).
Of course, if you want an at least decent card you'd be looking at around
AUD 250-300, which is a little bit more than buying yourself an Xbox. So
yeah, I think the best option is to buy a console.

At least then you can play all sorts of games and not have to upgrade, or
install, or patch, or worry about space. Ya just stick it in, turn it on and
pray. I love my consoles. But I also love my PC. And, yes, I'm sure we all
know how much I love to digress...

Ladida...

> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>
> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
> on there.
>

> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:52:31 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>
>>On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>>

>>>"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message

>>>Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>>>
>>>McG. <thanks!>
>>>
>><darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>
>>What he said.
>>
>>If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
>>Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
>>pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
>>once, McG.
>>
>>Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>
>>Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
>>on there.
>>

>>Wishing Well,
>>
>>Fred
>
> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
> me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
> "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
> some parts are :)
> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
> eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
> McG.

Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!

Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)

---
PW
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:05:55 AM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>
>>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>>> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>>
>>> What he said.
>>>
>>> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale
>>> Notebook Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB,
>>> WinXP-Home), I'll just pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What
>>> the heck, I only live once, McG.
>>>
>>> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>>
>>> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action
>>> going on there.
>>>

>>> Wishing Well,
>>>
>>> Fred
>>
>> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
>> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles
>> around me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm
>> not any "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
>> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now.
>> Well, some parts are :)
>> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
>> Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
>> own! McG.
>>

> Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>
> Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
> Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>
> ---
> PW

Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
:o )) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
McG.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:53:29 AM

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
<snip>
>>>P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
>>>Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>>>I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>>>they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
>>>own! McG.
>>>

>>Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>>
>>Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>>Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>>
>>---
>>PW
>

> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
> mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
> :o )) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
> McG.

Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to go
get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.

Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!

<Rationalization mode>
What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
wasn't it?
</Rationalization mode>

---
PW
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:34:16 AM

> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
> >
> >> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message

> >> Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
> >>
> >> McG. <thanks!>
> >>
> > <darted off to DL/view trailer>
> >
> > What he said.
> >
> > If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
> > Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
> > pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
> > once, McG.
> >
> > Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
> >
> > Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
> > dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
> > on there.
> >

> > Wishing Well,
> >
> > Fred
> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
> me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
> "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
> some parts are :)
> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
> eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
> McG.

I'd be extremely surprised if a game released over the next year and half
(ie., Legend's supposed release date) wouldn't work fine on that.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:37:58 AM

> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> > In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> > about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> >> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message

> >> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
> >> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles
> >> around me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm
> >> not any "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
> >> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now.
> >> Well, some parts are :)
> >> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
> >> Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
> >> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
> >> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
> >> own! McG.
> >>

> > Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
> >
> > Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
> > Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
> >
> > ---
> > PW
>
> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
> mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
> :o )) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
> McG.

I think a good way of determining if a Vid card is gonna last a while is
price. It sounds horribly capitalist, but I think it's true.

If your vid card is less than, say, AUD 250 then you're gonna need to
upgrade soon enough if you want high-res on the newest games.

And face it, no matter what card you buy (unless it's like an X850 - drool)
you will need to upgrade in 12-24 months from the date of purchase.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:34:57 AM

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>> about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>>>
>>> Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>>> Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>>>
>>> ---
>>> PW
>>

>> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
>> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed
>> to mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
>> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
>> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer"
>> AVI
>>> o)) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
>> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
>> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
>> McG.
>>

> Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to
> go get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
>
> Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
>
> <Rationalization mode>
> What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
> wasn't it?
> </Rationalization mode>
>
> ---
> PW

Um. I am an amateur shutterbug. Have a gobb of older Minolta gear.
And a file cab drawer full of negs :)  I also have digital cameras,
fairly fast 48 bit flatbed with a 6 x 9 transparency lid. I dabble in
digital painting, all sorts of image work. My hobby. The fun stuff is
the games then. So, the more colors the better, same with pixels...and
texels and pipes and and and YUP! Ha!
AoD now flies. no slowdowns anywhere. I never seen Lara die so darn
fast in my whole life! I make boo boo's faster than ever now! :)
Pac Man. Hm. Centipede!
McG.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:35:49 AM

>> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>>> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>>
>>> What he said.
>>>
>>> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale
>>> Notebook Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB,
>>> WinXP-Home), I'll just pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What
>>> the heck, I only live once, McG.
>>>
>>> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>>
>>> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action
>>> going on there.
>>>

>>> Wishing Well,
>>>
>>> Fred
>> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
>> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles
>> around me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm
>> not any "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
>> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now.
>> Well, some parts are :)
>> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
>> Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers.
>> If they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
>> own! McG.
>>

> I'd be extremely surprised if a game released over the next year and
> half (ie., Legend's supposed release date) wouldn't work fine on that.

Well, that was the general idea :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:38:32 AM

>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>> about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...

>>> Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>>>
>>> Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>>> Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>>>
>>> ---
>>> PW
>>
>> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
>> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed
>> to mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
>> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
>> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer"
>> AVI
>>> o)) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
>> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
>> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
>> McG.
>>

> I think a good way of determining if a Vid card is gonna last a while
> is price. It sounds horribly capitalist, but I think it's true.
>
> If your vid card is less than, say, AUD 250 then you're gonna need to
> upgrade soon enough if you want high-res on the newest games.
>
> And face it, no matter what card you buy (unless it's like an X850 -
> drool) you will need to upgrade in 12-24 months from the date of
> purchase.

The 6800GT is up there with the X850 man :)  The X850XT is up there with
the 6800 Ultra.
I'm looking at a year before someone pops up with something so
significantly better I might think of upgrading again. BUT...it will
likely be PCI-E then, not AGP. And that will be a mobo and processor
too.
McG.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:17:03 AM

On Wed, 4 May 2005 00:45:44 +1000: "Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry>
posted:

>"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>>
>> >"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message

>> >Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>> >
>> >McG. <thanks!>
>> >
>> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>
>> What he said.
>>
>> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
>> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
>> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
>> once, McG.
>>

>Yeah, I'd imagine you'd need to upgrade your vid card, everything else
>should be fine (except for it being a notebook).
>Of course, if you want an at least decent card you'd be looking at around
>AUD 250-300, which is a little bit more than buying yourself an Xbox. So
>yeah, I think the best option is to buy a console.
>
>At least then you can play all sorts of games and not have to upgrade, or
>install, or patch, or worry about space. Ya just stick it in, turn it on and
>pray. I love my consoles. But I also love my PC. And, yes, I'm sure we all
>know how much I love to digress...
>
>Ladida...

Ladida, I think you're right.

After what I've been thru the past couple days ...

//rant/begin
o The aging Aptiva at home (550MHz Athlon, upgraded to ATI Radeon
64MB, 320MB, 80GB HDD) is fast enough only up to TRLR. That new
HDD also developed HDD write errors - cross-linked file, lost
clusters, bad file allocation, wrong free space calc) that took
two full and lengthy runs with Norton Disk Doctor to repair, and
then optimize.
o the rookie I'm training at work (trying to) opened up yesterday's
work, re-dated it to today's, then wondered why there was no change
in the data ... blonde moment I guess, though she's raven-haired
o the bank computers that let me pay online for this news server
crashed, blocked payment on my account, and caused a suspension
to my newsfeed - no Usenet for me last night
o The computers at work locked me out of using files I need to
do my job this morning
o protracted interruptions that took me away from my duties to cater
to bosses that want what they want and they want it yesterday,
delaying my tasks till late in the afternoon so that, as they
waltzed out the door at 5pm, their mainframe crashed on them ...
o said mainframe that I connect to at work crashed up to cutoff
time, never came back up even past quitting time, so that
I could not finish my job before I went home
.... enough's enough, and I too went home in mild disgust.
//rant/end

I think that they must have all been Windows computers.

So your opinion that a dedicated game console would likely be the best
way to go looks pretty good to me just now. It's likely the route
I'll take. Can pick a new one up here in Canada for a couple or three
hunnerd or so, even with 15% sales taxes added on. That's not too
much damage.

So I think Sony will eventually be selling yet another Playstation.
Oh yes, and my TV monitor is aging a bit - 16 years - and showing
signs of impending failure lately, so I'll have to toss in extra for
that too - or use my PC monitor maybe if that works (sorry, never
owned a game machine, so I don't know - maybe I'll hop over to the
e-book NGs and DL Playstation for Dummies if they have such).

>> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>
>> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
>> on there.
>>

>> Wishing Well,
>>
>> Fred

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:17:03 AM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:24:24 GMT: "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>>
>>> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message

>>> Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>>>
>>> McG. <thanks!>
>>>
>> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>
>> What he said.
>>
>> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
>> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
>> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
>> once, McG.
>>
>> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>
>> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
>> on there.
>>

>> Wishing Well,
>>
>> Fred
>You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
>ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
>me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
>"good" at it. I enjoy it :)
>I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
>some parts are :)
>P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
>eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
>McG.

Mine's already there - 2001 Aptiva - so I'm agreeing with you and
Dragoncarer on that PS2 idea.
Hmmm, now where did I hide that spare two or three hunnerd bucks ...
oh yeah, parked it in my VISA account, that's where I put it.

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:17:03 AM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 00:52:31 GMT: Pistol Whipped
<pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> posted:

>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>
>>>On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>>><darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>>
>>>What he said.
>>>
>>>If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
>>>Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
>>>pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
>>>once, McG.
>>>
>>>Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>>
>>>Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>>dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
>>>on there.
>>>

>>>Wishing Well,
>>>
>>>Fred
>>
>> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
>> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
>> me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
>> "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
>> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
>> some parts are :)
>> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
>> eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
>> McG.
>>

>Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>
>Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>
>---
>PW
ROFL!

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:17:04 AM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:53:29 GMT: Pistol Whipped
<pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> posted:

>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>>about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
><snip>
>>>>

>>>Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>>>
>>>Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>>>Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>>>
>>>---
>>>PW
>>

>> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
>> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
>> mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
>> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
>> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
>> :o )) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
>> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
>> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
>> McG.
>>

>Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to go
>get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
>
>Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
>
><Rationalization mode>
>What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
>wasn't it?
></Rationalization mode>
>
>---
>PW
So was Space Invaders and spending all those quarters. lol.

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:17:04 AM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:34:57 GMT: "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

>> <snip>

>>> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
>>> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed
>>> to mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
>>> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
>>> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer"
>>> AVI
>>> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
>>> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to
>> go get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
>>
>> Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
>>
>> <Rationalization mode>
>> What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
>> wasn't it?
>> </Rationalization mode>
>>
>> ---
>> PW
>
>Um. I am an amateur shutterbug. Have a gobb of older Minolta gear.
>And a file cab drawer full of negs :)  I also have digital cameras,
>fairly fast 48 bit flatbed with a 6 x 9 transparency lid. I dabble in
>digital painting, all sorts of image work. My hobby. The fun stuff is
>the games then. So, the more colors the better, same with pixels...and
>texels and pipes and and and YUP! Ha!
>AoD now flies. no slowdowns anywhere. I never seen Lara die so darn
>fast in my whole life! I make boo boo's faster than ever now! :)
>Pac Man. Hm. Centipede!
>McG.

BTW, McG, I picked up a FinePix (Model S7000) a while ago myself - too
busy to use it just yet; fool around with G-Arts myself (nothing much,
but it's fun and relaxing).

O/T: <nostalgic sigh> ah, yes, PacMan ... and those 320x200 video
screens on the Vic 20 that could load an entire TWO (2) Kilobyte game
in 15 minutes from cassette tape <sigh> then came the Trash-80's
.... endless Paddleboard games ... Tetris ... Duke Nukem v1 ...

<loud sighs>

Oh, and here's a piece of Game Trivia for the youngsters: Leisure
Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Played all 5 or 6 of
them.

I MUCH Prefer Lara in TR2 and up - have yet to play the blocky-pixel
TR1 Golds under DOS that I still have parked somewhere. Definitely
agree with you on: Colors Please.

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:24:50 AM

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "Dragoncarer"
warbled on about "Legend trailer - Oni-style crossfire?" in a.g.t <<=

> Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e taken the
> ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or lock-on crossfire
> aiming. Very exciting.

Do you mean crosshair? I noticed and haven't stopped grinning. Diff.
xhairs for each weapon too from the look of it. Must mean we're finally
going to get mouseaim on the PC version.

/me loads up WoW, logs on orc warlock -- and proceeds to /dance in
happiness.

--
I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter

"snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "Dragoncarer"
> warbled on about "Legend trailer - Oni-style crossfire?" in a.g.t <<=
>
>> Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e
>> taken the ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or
>> lock-on crossfire aiming. Very exciting.
>
> Do you mean crosshair? I noticed and haven't stopped grinning. Diff.
> xhairs for each weapon too from the look of it. Must mean we're
> finally going to get mouseaim on the PC version.
>
> /me loads up WoW, logs on orc warlock -- and proceeds to /dance in
> happiness.

If that gameplay footage video is for real, looks like we might be in
for a treat! :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:24:52 AM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:41:39 GMT: "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>"snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
>> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "Dragoncarer"
>> warbled on about "Legend trailer - Oni-style crossfire?" in a.g.t <<=
>>
>>> Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e
>>> taken the ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or
>>> lock-on crossfire aiming. Very exciting.
>>
>> Do you mean crosshair? I noticed and haven't stopped grinning. Diff.
>> xhairs for each weapon too from the look of it. Must mean we're
>> finally going to get mouseaim on the PC version.
>>
>> /me loads up WoW, logs on orc warlock -- and proceeds to /dance in
>> happiness.
>
>If that gameplay footage video is for real, looks like we might be in
>for a treat! :)
>McG.

<parks Lara after reaching TR2 Temple Ruins Level, yep, shure nuff,
those monkeys turn hostile here> I sure like to think so, McG; so
much bad press about TRAOD in here - and I haven't even played it yet
- still in the box. Might save myself unnecessary prolonged agony and
just use Stella's Walkthroughs for it just to more quickly play out
some of my money's worth. <thinks of going offline to rip Lara
through that quad bike course again, back at her mansion ...
wheeeeee-oooff crashed it again>

Wishing Well,

Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:21:20 PM

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:34:57 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>> about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...

>>> <snip>

>>> Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to
>>> go get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
>>>
>>> Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
>>>
>>> <Rationalization mode>
>>> What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was
>>> fun wasn't it?
>>> </Rationalization mode>
>>>
>>> ---
>>> PW
>>
>> Um. I am an amateur shutterbug. Have a gobb of older Minolta gear.
>> And a file cab drawer full of negs :)  I also have digital cameras,
>> fairly fast 48 bit flatbed with a 6 x 9 transparency lid. I dabble
>> in digital painting, all sorts of image work. My hobby. The fun
>> stuff is the games then. So, the more colors the better, same with
>> pixels...and texels and pipes and and and YUP! Ha!
>> AoD now flies. no slowdowns anywhere. I never seen Lara die so darn
>> fast in my whole life! I make boo boo's faster than ever now! :)
>> Pac Man. Hm. Centipede!
>> McG.
>>

> BTW, McG, I picked up a FinePix (Model S7000) a while ago myself - too
> busy to use it just yet; fool around with G-Arts myself (nothing much,
> but it's fun and relaxing).

I have a FinePix S3000 right now. For such a cheep camera, it takes a
very nice picture. I'm looking to get one later this year with much
higher resolution. Got lots to choose from these days :)

> O/T: <nostalgic sigh> ah, yes, PacMan ... and those 320x200 video
> screens on the Vic 20 that could load an entire TWO (2) Kilobyte game
> in 15 minutes from cassette tape <sigh> then came the Trash-80's
> ... endless Paddleboard games ... Tetris ... Duke Nukem v1 ...

Timex 1000, Atari 800XL, Commie Plus4, Tandy 1000a, Atari 1040ST and
then FINALLY.... a "clone" type PC. 286-12mHz (that was the processor,
not keyboard speed!) 2 megs of chip ram, 20 meg Seagate MFM HD, ATI VGA
Wonder 1.0 512K. Used that rig for a good 5 years. Then built my own
386DX40 with simms :)  The pace of upgrading has increased with the
decrease of parts pricing over the years. Then there was the advent of
games that I upgraded to play them. Quake and Tombraider! Those needed
one o them new fangled 3D accelerators.
I played the original Wing Commander on the 286. It was slow and clunky
and I couldn't even see the little anims in the comm window of the
cockpit display with less than a 386. The fights were ridiculous. I
literally tore joysticks apart *trying* to actually fight the Kilrathi
on a 286 :)  I finally won. Took me right at two years. And no game
EVER gave me that huge sense of accomplishment that Wing Commanders end
sequence and credits screens did :o ))))) There was no cheating. No
internet to get things from. I played it again on a 486DX4-100 with 128
megs Simms and a Hercules Dynamite Pro VL 32meg VLB accelerator. I
finished the game in one weekend, fights, comms vids, VOICE, everything
:)
Well, time for work now, it was fun reminiscing on that one!
McG.

> <loud sighs>
>
> Oh, and here's a piece of Game Trivia for the youngsters: Leisure
> Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Played all 5 or 6 of
> them.
>
> I MUCH Prefer Lara in TR2 and up - have yet to play the blocky-pixel
> TR1 Golds under DOS that I still have parked somewhere. Definitely
> agree with you on: Colors Please.

GliDOS will let you run TR1 looking as good as TR2. Lara has excellent
anims, so you get over the 'Madonna' points ok :)

> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:22:57 PM

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:53:29 GMT: Pistol Whipped
> <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> posted:
>
>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>> about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

>> <snip>

>>> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
>>> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed
>>> to mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
>>> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
>>> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU
>>> Killer" AVI
>>> megs for 14 seconds :)  Purty stuff too.
>>> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to
>> go get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
>>
>> Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
>>
>> <Rationalization mode>
>> What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
>> wasn't it?
>> </Rationalization mode>
>>
>> ---
>> PW
> So was Space Invaders and spending all those quarters. lol.
>
> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred

When I drove my little family to the laundramat on a Sunday morning, my
x wife would think it hillarious that I'd spend more quarters playing
Centipede there than we did for all our laundry :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:24:53 PM

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:41:39 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
>> "snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
>>> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then
>>> "Dragoncarer" warbled on about "Legend trailer - Oni-style
>>> crossfire?" in a.g.t <<=

>>> Do you mean crosshair? I noticed and haven't stopped grinning.
>>> Diff. xhairs for each weapon too from the look of it. Must mean
>>> we're finally going to get mouseaim on the PC version.
>>>
>>> /me loads up WoW, logs on orc warlock -- and proceeds to /dance in
>>> happiness.
>>
>> If that gameplay footage video is for real, looks like we might be in
>> for a treat! :)
>> McG.
>>
> <parks Lara after reaching TR2 Temple Ruins Level, yep, shure nuff,
> those monkeys turn hostile here> I sure like to think so, McG; so
> much bad press about TRAOD in here - and I haven't even played it yet
> - still in the box. Might save myself unnecessary prolonged agony and
> just use Stella's Walkthroughs for it just to more quickly play out
> some of my money's worth. <thinks of going offline to rip Lara
> through that quad bike course again, back at her mansion ...
> wheeeeee-oooff crashed it again>
>
> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred

There IS some fun stuff in it, and there is some very pretty scenery.
there is Lara too. DO play it, use the walkthrus (I'm going to, to
finish it). It's worth a play for what IS good in it.
McG.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:52:46 PM

It took my completely by surprise when McGrandpa typed:

<majorly snippaged>

> Timex 1000

Good lord!! Me too! Only we called it a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum :-)

Happy days!

Duncan
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:27:03 PM

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, King Key Dee mentioned

><loud sighs>
>
>Oh, and here's a piece of Game Trivia for the youngsters: Leisure
>Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Played all 5 or 6 of
>them.

Bwahahaha! Ah yes, Looking for Love in All the Wong Places.

Last year I downloaded a copy of SuperHeroes of Hoboken which I had
ALWAYS wanted since I saw the first game review. Since got Space 1889
too and REALLY want to get my copy of Kingmaker running (tricky
three-way fiddling with DOSBox, FrontEnd and GliDOS).
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:59:31 PM

I'm not all that sure I'm willing to fork out loads of cash just to
play a game ( even Tomb Raider ) . As it is now I'm playing both CAll
of duty ( with expansion pack ) and Prince of Persia ,sands of time
without any problems .

Developers can't expect us to buy new gear every other year because
they decide we need to !

FYI I'm running the above games on a PIV 1.7 GHZ,768MB RAM, RADEON
9600 ( 128 MB ) and loads of free HDD-space .

In the end it's all a matter of what they are going to shoot for - in
a marketing sense - are they willing to take the chane everyone will
run out and buy a console or a new PC just to play this TR-game ??
Especially considering the debacle the last one was .

I doubt this very much , they'll cater for as many users as possible -
even those with antique systems , like myself .

I've also noticed the amount of memory you have is far more important
than the CPU you have ( case in point being SIMS 2 , don't even
consider playing that one without at least 512 MB RAM ) and a decent
graphics card - certainly not necessarily the latest and greatest
though.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 23:17:03 -0400, King Key Dee
<tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:24:24 GMT: "McGrandpa"
><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
>>"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>>> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>>
>>> What he said.
>>>
>>> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
>>> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
>>> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
>>> once, McG.
>>>
>>> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>>
>>> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
>>> on there.
>>>

>>> Wishing Well,
>>>
>>> Fred
>>You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
>>ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
>>me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
>>"good" at it. I enjoy it :)
>>I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
>>some parts are :)
>>P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
>>eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>>I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>>they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
>>McG.
>>
>Mine's already there - 2001 Aptiva - so I'm agreeing with you and
>Dragoncarer on that PS2 idea.
>Hmmm, now where did I hide that spare two or three hunnerd bucks ...
>oh yeah, parked it in my VISA account, that's where I put it.
>
>Wishing Well,
>
>Fred
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:19:59 AM

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> It took my completely by surprise when McGrandpa typed:
>
> <majorly snippaged>
>
>> Timex 1000
>
> Good lord!! Me too! Only we called it a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum :-)
>
> Happy days!
>
> Duncan

I know :)  I used to subscribe to the paper magazine Spectrum. It had
better programs to type in than some others. I still have one copy of
one of those mags stored in a file cabinet.
McG.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:11:31 AM

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> It took my completely by surprise when McGrandpa typed:
>>
>> <majorly snippaged>
>>
>>> Timex 1000
>>
>> Good lord!! Me too! Only we called it a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum :-)
>>
>> Happy days!
>>
>> Duncan
>
> I know :)  I used to subscribe to the paper magazine Spectrum. It had
> better programs to type in than some others. I still have one copy of
> one of those mags stored in a file cabinet.

Ah yes! The days of listing magazines....

Can you still get them like that, do you know? Some of those type in games
were better than the proper releases! The best Hunchback game I ever had was
from Sinclair User or something similar :-)

> McG.

Duncan
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:11:32 AM

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 5e957$m35$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk
> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> It took my completely by surprise when McGrandpa typed:
>>>
>>> <majorly snippaged>

>>> Good lord!! Me too! Only we called it a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum :-)
>>>
>>> Happy days!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>
>> I know :)  I used to subscribe to the paper magazine Spectrum. It
>> had better programs to type in than some others. I still have one
>> copy of one of those mags stored in a file cabinet.
>
> Ah yes! The days of listing magazines....
>
> Can you still get them like that, do you know? Some of those type in
> games were better than the proper releases! The best Hunchback game I
> ever had was from Sinclair User or something similar :-)
>

>> McG.
>
> Duncan

Oh, I got one of those too! Sinclair User. I think I also have an old
issue of Creative Computing. Feb 84. I was using an Atari 800XL then
and it had an interesting little program in it. Do miss the quality
programming in some of those too. The first advanture type game I ever
played I also typed in, on the Timex. It was aptly called "Treasure
Hunter". Maybe a forerunner to Tombraider ya think? :)
McG.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:32:34 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:34:57 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
> >
> >> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message

> >> Um. I am an amateur shutterbug. Have a gobb of older Minolta gear.
> >> And a file cab drawer full of negs :)  I also have digital cameras,
> >> fairly fast 48 bit flatbed with a 6 x 9 transparency lid. I dabble
> >> in digital painting, all sorts of image work. My hobby. The fun
> >> stuff is the games then. So, the more colors the better, same with
> >> pixels...and texels and pipes and and and YUP! Ha!
> >> AoD now flies. no slowdowns anywhere. I never seen Lara die so darn
> >> fast in my whole life! I make boo boo's faster than ever now! :)
> >> Pac Man. Hm. Centipede!
> >> McG.
> >>

> > BTW, McG, I picked up a FinePix (Model S7000) a while ago myself - too
> > busy to use it just yet; fool around with G-Arts myself (nothing much,
> > but it's fun and relaxing).
>
> I have a FinePix S3000 right now. For such a cheep camera, it takes a
> very nice picture. I'm looking to get one later this year with much
> higher resolution. Got lots to choose from these days :)
>

> > O/T: <nostalgic sigh> ah, yes, PacMan ... and those 320x200 video
> > screens on the Vic 20 that could load an entire TWO (2) Kilobyte game
> > in 15 minutes from cassette tape <sigh> then came the Trash-80's
> > ... endless Paddleboard games ... Tetris ... Duke Nukem v1 ...
>
> Timex 1000, Atari 800XL, Commie Plus4, Tandy 1000a, Atari 1040ST and
> then FINALLY.... a "clone" type PC. 286-12mHz (that was the processor,
> not keyboard speed!) 2 megs of chip ram, 20 meg Seagate MFM HD, ATI VGA
> Wonder 1.0 512K. Used that rig for a good 5 years.

Hey, I've got one of those... but without that "fancy" graphics
card. :)

<looks around> WHAT? ;)  It's a good machine... put it
together myself... got a lot of use out of it... <sigh> Wasn't
*that* many years ago too, (about 15). :)

At this pace, I shudder to think what we'll have in the next 15
or 20 years... probably something that'll argue with us. ;)
Or maybe full, actual, real 3D... sans the funny glasses. :)

-- G
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:36:35 AM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:53:29 GMT: Pistol Whipped
> > <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> posted:
> >
> >> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> >> about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...

> >> <snip>

> >> Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to
> >> go get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
> >>
> >> Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
> >>
> >> <Rationalization mode>
> >> What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
> >> wasn't it?
> >> </Rationalization mode>
> >>
> >> ---
> >> PW
> > So was Space Invaders and spending all those quarters. lol.
> >
> > Wishing Well,
> >
> > Fred
>
> When I drove my little family to the laundramat on a Sunday morning, my
> x wife would think it hillarious that I'd spend more quarters playing
> Centipede there than we did for all our laundry :)
> McG.

That reminds me of a friend who spent a fortune in quarters and
hours on Asteroids. ;)

-- g
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:51:24 AM

rocketranger@neverland.com wrote:

> I'm not all that sure I'm willing to fork out loads of cash just to
> play a game ( even Tomb Raider ) . As it is now I'm playing both CAll
> of duty ( with expansion pack ) and Prince of Persia ,sands of time
> without any problems .
>
> Developers can't expect us to buy new gear every other year because
> they decide we need to !

Well, actually... yeah, apparently they do. :/

> FYI I'm running the above games on a PIV 1.7 GHZ,768MB RAM, RADEON
> 9600 ( 128 MB ) and loads of free HDD-space .
>
> In the end it's all a matter of what they are going to shoot for - in
> a marketing sense - are they willing to take the chane everyone will
> run out and buy a console or a new PC just to play this TR-game ??
> Especially considering the debacle the last one was .
>
> I doubt this very much , they'll cater for as many users as possible -
> even those with antique systems , like myself .

Yeah? Then why can't I play many games on this machine?
....which isn't really that old, IMO. Well, OK, maybe it's old in
*computer* years! ;)

> I've also noticed the amount of memory you have is far more important
> than the CPU you have ( case in point being SIMS 2 , don't even
> consider playing that one without at least 512 MB RAM ) and a decent
> graphics card - certainly not necessarily the latest and greatest
> though.

Memory, graphics card, and processor speed and horse power (in
that order).

-- G
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:10:22 AM

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 04 May 2005 21:34:57 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>>> BTW, McG, I picked up a FinePix (Model S7000) a while ago myself -
>>> too busy to use it just yet; fool around with G-Arts myself
>>> (nothing much, but it's fun and relaxing).
>>
>> I have a FinePix S3000 right now. For such a cheep camera, it
>> takes a very nice picture. I'm looking to get one later this year
>> with much higher resolution. Got lots to choose from these days :)
>>

>>> O/T: <nostalgic sigh> ah, yes, PacMan ... and those 320x200 video
>>> screens on the Vic 20 that could load an entire TWO (2) Kilobyte
>>> game in 15 minutes from cassette tape <sigh> then came the
>>> Trash-80's ... endless Paddleboard games ... Tetris ... Duke Nukem
>>> v1 ...
>>
>> Timex 1000, Atari 800XL, Commie Plus4, Tandy 1000a, Atari 1040ST and
>> then FINALLY.... a "clone" type PC. 286-12mHz (that was the
>> processor, not keyboard speed!) 2 megs of chip ram, 20 meg Seagate
>> MFM HD, ATI VGA Wonder 1.0 512K. Used that rig for a good 5 years.
>
> Hey, I've got one of those... but without that "fancy" graphics
> card. :)

You have an ISA slot? 16 bit? I have an ATI VGA Wonder 1.0 512K and an
ATI VGA Wonder XL24 1meg. Both 16 bit cards. Compared to any PCI card,
they're slower than molasses in January. But, they were both very
reliable cards. I should cobble an old rig together just to see if
either still work :)  I think I have a 486 something I could use.

> <looks around> WHAT? ;)  It's a good machine... put it
> together myself... got a lot of use out of it... <sigh> Wasn't
> *that* many years ago too, (about 15). :)

Ah, that's back to where Lara was at in Forerunner with the treehouse in
the world of computers Gary. It must be pretty low humidity where
you're at ;)  Copper traces on the pc cards usually turn really green
and stop working long before that down here. That's what happened to my
286 mobo. All kinds of stuff turned green and clumpy, unsalvageable.
It ran, actually, for ten years. When I stopped using it is when it
went to the garden :)

> At this pace, I shudder to think what we'll have in the next 15
> or 20 years... probably something that'll argue with us. ;)
> Or maybe full, actual, real 3D... sans the funny glasses. :)

Ha! The darn machines already argue with us! I just wonder when
they're gonna come up with a "3D Tank", where everything seen inside is
fully 3D. Or the 3D table top :)  Might have to have a trio of vid
cards for that or something.
McG.

> -- G
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 7:21:35 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 04 May 2005 07:53:29 GMT: Pistol Whipped
>>> <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> posted:

>>> So was Space Invaders and spending all those quarters. lol.
>>>
>>> Wishing Well,
>>>
>>> Fred
>>
>> When I drove my little family to the laundramat on a Sunday morning,
>> my x wife would think it hillarious that I'd spend more quarters
>> playing Centipede there than we did for all our laundry :)
>> McG.
>
> That reminds me of a friend who spent a fortune in quarters and
> hours on Asteroids. ;)
>
> -- g

Well, with the birth of the 3rd kid, the now fair sized family needed
its own laundry set. We got that, and the wiffle sure did like the ease
of laundry all of a sudden. That ended the Centipede era, and I did
feel kinda empty inside at the lack therof. That's also about the time
we got that Timex/Sinclair 1000. "Blue Light Special" at K-Mart! It
was regular $49.99, but under da blue light the T/S 1000, the 16K
rampack and a 3 pack of game *tapes* were $19.99 each! Yep, we got it
:)  I boogied to get as close to the head of the line as I could. That
special emptied the kiosk of Timex stuff in about 10 mins :)  Our first
game? Frogger!
It was quite a while later I got the 286 tho. Quite a while. Gee, if I
use a CPU a full year now I call it ancient ;)
Then too, just about the time I got everything 'topped up' in the
machine, they come out with something that changes everything. Like
PCI Express. I've still got AGP and older model processors (478 pin).
They're still good and can easily keep up with most current offerings.
But in another year, I bet this level of stuff will be scarce, replaced
already.
McG.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:13:09 PM

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
[snip]

> >> Timex 1000, Atari 800XL, Commie Plus4, Tandy 1000a, Atari 1040ST and
> >> then FINALLY.... a "clone" type PC. 286-12mHz (that was the
> >> processor, not keyboard speed!) 2 megs of chip ram, 20 meg Seagate
> >> MFM HD, ATI VGA Wonder 1.0 512K. Used that rig for a good 5 years.
> >
> > Hey, I've got one of those... but without that "fancy" graphics
> > card. :)
>
> You have an ISA slot? 16 bit?

<hesitantly> Yeaaaaah... :)

I can do even better than that... Got any S-100 cards? :p

> I have an ATI VGA Wonder 1.0 512K and an
> ATI VGA Wonder XL24 1meg. Both 16 bit cards. Compared to any PCI card,
> they're slower than molasses in January.

Well, yes, but it depends on what you're doing with it. For most
of the stuff I did on it, that'd be overkill.

This machine I'm using here has an old Diamond Stealth 3 Xtreme,
AGP 4X. That was a serious card not so long ago, but these days?
.... talk about molasses. Heh. :)

> But, they were both very
> reliable cards. I should cobble an old rig together just to see if
> either still work :)  I think I have a 486 something I could use.
>

> > <looks around> WHAT? ;)  It's a good machine... put it
> > together myself... got a lot of use out of it... <sigh> Wasn't
> > *that* many years ago too, (about 15). :)
>
> Ah, that's back to where Lara was at in Forerunner with the treehouse in
> the world of computers Gary.

<counts on fingers> Let's see... in computer years, that'd be, what,
134 years? ;)

No, actually, Lara in her tree house would be more like the first
machine I worked on. An IBM 360. :)  It was a programming class
waaaaaaaaaay back when. And get *this*: we used punch cards! :)
Granted, it was a bit dated even back then, but the school had to
settle for what they could get. Computers were much harder to
come by then.

> It must be pretty low humidity where
> you're at ;)  Copper traces on the pc cards usually turn really green
> and stop working long before that down here.

Shouldn't if they're coated properly.

> That's what happened to my
> 286 mobo. All kinds of stuff turned green and clumpy, unsalvageable.
> It ran, actually, for ten years. When I stopped using it is when it
> went to the garden :)
>

> > At this pace, I shudder to think what we'll have in the next 15
> > or 20 years... probably something that'll argue with us. ;)
> > Or maybe full, actual, real 3D... sans the funny glasses. :)
>
> Ha! The darn machines already argue with us!

No, I mean *really* argue--a discussion--like we're doing now.
I'm thinking machines with personalities, that behave perhaps
a little like a butler: "Um, Geeves.... see if you can find
anything on the internet about xyz." "yes sir, right away." :)

> I just wonder when
> they're gonna come up with a "3D Tank", where everything seen inside is
> fully 3D. Or the 3D table top :)  Might have to have a trio of vid
> cards for that or something.

No, just one, but they'd have to invent a completely different kind
of monitor. I imagine each pixel might have some kind of lens and
several internal pixels. So, you'd see a different pixel depending
on the viewing angle. That way each eye could see a different image,
and there's your 3D. :)  Of course, easier said than done. ;)

-- G
!