T.R. Legend trailer

does anyone know--did Crystal Dynamics use the same engine that Core
used for AOD? Is this a new build? Is the characater model built new as
well or just modified?

Cinefyl

Kieran

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Hmm, that is interesting I must say. A bit like AOD, but seeming to have
smoother actions and more traditional aspects to it. I was particularly
pleased to see the multiple forward/backward flip sequence and the more
conventional jump sequences. The shooting also looked quite good, with what
looked like Lara making use of guns fixed to the surroundings, like in TR3
crash site.

My only reservation is a lot of the trailer seemed to be in a "city" type
area. I hope that they get the balance right here - I felt AOD was waaayyyyy
too biased in this direction, and seeing as the name of the game is
operative here "TOMB RAIDER" one would hope for a fair whack of natural
scenery and tomb type surroundings.

Still, it all looks promising, and I am looking forward to the first demo
( I mean that is to say I assume there will be one....)

Kieran

Hmmm...

Different overall look, but has some tradition aspects. There's a bit of
it that reminds me of TR1 (bouncing off the sloping ledges to go
upwards, a la Midas Palace) Looks like the twin pistols are still there.

There's also some screenshots available on the official site which I'm
sure weren't there a couple of weeks ago.

I'm intrigued

Mark.

Mean Marine wrote:
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)

McG. <thanks!>

"Kieran" <kieran.jazzNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>
>> Mean Marine
>>
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>>

> Hmm, that is interesting I must say. A bit like AOD, but seeming to
> have smoother actions and more traditional aspects to it. I was
> particularly pleased to see the multiple forward/backward flip
> sequence and the more conventional jump sequences. The shooting also
> looked quite good, with what looked like Lara making use of guns
> fixed to the surroundings, like in TR3 crash site.
>
> My only reservation is a lot of the trailer seemed to be in a "city"
> type area. I hope that they get the balance right here - I felt AOD
> was waaayyyyy too biased in this direction, and seeing as the name of
> the game is operative here "TOMB RAIDER" one would hope for a fair
> whack of natural scenery and tomb type surroundings.
>
> Still, it all looks promising, and I am looking forward to the first
> demo ( I mean that is to say I assume there will be one....)
>
> Kieran

Game controls look to be about what we had in TR3/4. If that's the
case, then THIS is DOABLE :) They gotta take the "gun control ai" outta
there :( In TR2, the area after the Yeti cages, you had to jump like
that to get out of that part :) This looks kinda fun :)
BTW- someone has been fixing the Tombraider Legend site Lara model in
that Flash 3D thing. They fixed the crotch joint but flubbed a couple
frames following on the right hip/front thigh/gun n holster ;)
McG.

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Mean Marine was heard, at
about 04/30/2005 08:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>
> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>
> Mean Marine
>
> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

Definitely, thanks for that.

For the first time since the day *before* AOD arrived, I actually
anticipate good things.

The moves of Lara walking still looked a little stilted. But gun scenes
give definite hope that they've dropped that stupidity in attack mode.

The jumps, rolls, and flips definitely reminded me of TR4. The scenery,
of ... dare I say ... TR1! Except for the city scenes, of course ...
oh, and that one TR3-ish gun emplacement. The city scenes reminded me
of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked it!

The graphics, overall, look to me to be somewhere between TR 4 and 6.
Slightly simpler (lower polys?) than 6 but still with dynamic shadows,
improved textures. At first I thought that jump-backflip-jumpgrab
sequence looked a bit cartoonish, until I realized that was just the
angle on her shadow. Anticipation ... what is *casting* that shadow!?
Looked like fire light to me. Must be a *big* fire!

I believe there was a brand new attack move in there. The "rolling
kick"? Now *that* I can see fitting in with the old style controls.
Rolling on the run was never good for too much besides a little speed
through cramped quarters ... which always seemed contrived to me.

A definite mix of cut scenes, FMVs and gameplay. I *liked* the closeups
of Lara. Some real expression on that face. Reminded me of "the
interview" trailer they released a while back.

I'll have to watch it a few more times to look for subtleties ... :)

---
PW

As far as I know they completely abandonded the AOD-engine in favor of
their own one .

Saw the trailer and a couple of things were noticable ( that is : if
this is in-game footage ) :
- she moves far more natural compared to AOD - the good old jumping is
back !!
- the level of detail on LAra is very high - don't knwo about the
textures , but that's of secondary importance
- the EYES , lol

If this trailer is a sign of things to come I'm quite optimistic about
the end-result .Remains to be seen how the controls work out though (
and hope they got rid of the annoying camera-stuff in AOD and the
involuntary wall-hugging ) .I'm kind of hoping CD will understand
there was nothing wrong with the the way things worked in TR1-5 , and
that just the graphics needed to be updated significantly .

Let's face it : what we want most is an enjoyable game ( implying a
PLAYABLE game ) and to have loads of atmosphere . Another good thing I
noticed - although only very briefly - it seems we'll have her
swimming also :)

As far as I could tell from that very short trailer there's a
city,jungle-like environment , place where she'll be required to swim
and some kind of ancient temple in the game .

They sure got rid of the AOD-engne by the looks of the trailer though
, doesn't look anything like TRAOD .

<rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> As far as I know they completely abandonded the AOD-engine in favor of
> their own one .
>
> Saw the trailer and a couple of things were noticable ( that is : if
> this is in-game footage ) :
> - she moves far more natural compared to AOD - the good old jumping is
> back !!

YES YES YES!!!

> - the level of detail on LAra is very high - don't knwo about the
> textures , but that's of secondary importance
> - the EYES , lol

Cool! :)

> If this trailer is a sign of things to come I'm quite optimistic about
> the end-result .Remains to be seen how the controls work out though (
> and hope they got rid of the annoying camera-stuff in AOD and the
> involuntary wall-hugging ) .I'm kind of hoping CD will understand
> there was nothing wrong with the the way things worked in TR1-5 , and
> that just the graphics needed to be updated significantly .

SOME things in Lara appear really highly detailed in this trailer. Like
her face and hands. Back of her head? Nope, hard corners (low poly
areas) with her head, hair, shoulders. The Lara anims appear FAR more
realistic in this trailer than in AoD though. Not only does the walk
seem more natural, in Laras jumps the models behaviour seems to obey
physics (gravity) pretty well. As long as there are constants we can
adjust to, we do fine with a little unrealism in the physics end.
Though sticking closer to what we perceive as "real" will help the
immersion. She still has quite an arsenal at her disposal from the look
of the trailer too :)

I hope the maroon arrows are simply indicative of a seperate "look"
mode.
No more involuntary wall hugging, jumping to the enemy when gun(s)
drawn, attaching to ladders, pipes, ropes.

> Let's face it : what we want most is an enjoyable game ( implying a
> PLAYABLE game ) and to have loads of atmosphere . Another good thing I
> noticed - although only very briefly - it seems we'll have her
> swimming also :)
>
> As far as I could tell from that very short trailer there's a
> city,jungle-like environment , place where she'll be required to swim
> and some kind of ancient temple in the game .
>
> They sure got rid of the AOD-engne by the looks of the trailer though
> , doesn't look anything like TRAOD .

No, it doesn't look like AoD. Kinda sad in a way, that engine had tons
of potential. This one in the trailer though, must be newer. It looks
like something I'd want to play. So, now I guess I'll start getting my
hopes up. One other thing I hope they give us: a level editor, and
just the possibility of some kind of multiplayer.
McG.

"Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Mean Marine was heard, at
> about 04/30/2005 08:17 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>
>> Mean Marine
>>
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>>

> Definitely, thanks for that.
>
> For the first time since the day *before* AOD arrived, I actually
> anticipate good things.
>
> The moves of Lara walking still looked a little stilted. But gun
> scenes give definite hope that they've dropped that stupidity in
> attack mode.
> The jumps, rolls, and flips definitely reminded me of TR4. The
> scenery, of ... dare I say ... TR1! Except for the city scenes, of
> course ... oh, and that one TR3-ish gun emplacement. The city scenes
> reminded me of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but
> *I* liked it!
> The graphics, overall, look to me to be somewhere between TR 4 and 6.
> Slightly simpler (lower polys?) than 6 but still with dynamic shadows,
> improved textures. At first I thought that jump-backflip-jumpgrab
> sequence looked a bit cartoonish, until I realized that was just the
> angle on her shadow. Anticipation ... what is *casting* that shadow!?
> Looked like fire light to me. Must be a *big* fire!
>
> I believe there was a brand new attack move in there. The "rolling
> kick"? Now *that* I can see fitting in with the old style controls.
> Rolling on the run was never good for too much besides a little speed
> through cramped quarters ... which always seemed contrived to me.
>
> A definite mix of cut scenes, FMVs and gameplay. I *liked* the
> closeups of Lara. Some real expression on that face. Reminded me of
> "the interview" trailer they released a while back.

I like this mix. Really makes you want More!

> I'll have to watch it a few more times to look for subtleties ... :)
>
> ---
> PW

Keep watching, and talking! Two minds are better than one. I'm a
little disappointed in the allocation of polys in the Lara model. The
"world" is looking pretty darn good. Stilted anims? Like Lara looks a
bit stiff, not as 'loose' in the arms and shoulders, neck and head, as
natural moving produces? Her hair looks awful... like it's full of
hardened "Do-Gel" or something.
So far, the overall look is better than I would expect after watching
the Flash anim on the website though.
McG.

<rocketranger@neverland.com> wrote in message
> As far as I know they completely abandonded the AOD-engine in favor of
> their own one .
>
> Saw the trailer and a couple of things were noticable ( that is : if
> this is in-game footage ) :
> - she moves far more natural compared to AOD - the good old jumping is
> back !!
> - the level of detail on LAra is very high - don't knwo about the
> textures , but that's of secondary importance
> - the EYES , lol
>
> If this trailer is a sign of things to come I'm quite optimistic about
> the end-result .Remains to be seen how the controls work out though (
> and hope they got rid of the annoying camera-stuff in AOD and the
> involuntary wall-hugging ) .I'm kind of hoping CD will understand
> there was nothing wrong with the the way things worked in TR1-5 , and
> that just the graphics needed to be updated significantly .
>
> Let's face it : what we want most is an enjoyable game ( implying a
> PLAYABLE game ) and to have loads of atmosphere . Another good thing I
> noticed - although only very briefly - it seems we'll have her
> swimming also :)
>
> As far as I could tell from that very short trailer there's a
> city,jungle-like environment , place where she'll be required to swim
> and some kind of ancient temple in the game .
>
> They sure got rid of the AOD-engne by the looks of the trailer though
> , doesn't look anything like TRAOD .
>

> On 30 Apr 2005 13:58:53 -0700, "cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> does anyone know--did Crystal Dynamics use the same engine that Core
>> used for AOD? Is this a new build? Is the characater model built new
>> as well or just modified?
>>
>> Cinefyl

Another thought; looks like the sequences are based on "ad hype",
push/sell with the action and violence. There are a lot of us that are
hoping the violence would be less, not more. That Lara is more the
exploring adventuress. Like in Gordian Slash's "Forerunner" story :)
Quite like in the first TR. Sure, there was Larson and Pierre
throughout the whole game. There were the ancient deadly traps to deal
with. Wild critters. But less of it than in later releases. To me,
that helped make it a great adventure. In TR3, the entire game seemed
more along those lines of reasoning too. More so in the India/Jungle
areas. Oh well, it's still looking better than I thought it might.
Despite any apparent negatives or criticism I post about Legends, I am
eagerly anticipating it!
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> Her hair looks awful... like it's full of
> hardened "Do-Gel" or something.
> So far, the overall look is better than I would expect after watching
> the Flash anim on the website though.
> McG.

I noticed the hair, and watched the clip a few more times. In the first
10 seconds or so, her hair has a very rigid appearance, later in the
clip it is much more flexible, although it's not very easy to spot in
the gameplay sequence.

The motorbike model also looks incomplete as it it lacking essentials
like axles and spokes from the wheels.

There's some screenshots and stuff on
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/index.html

Mark.

"Liability Grimwood" <spamtrapmdg@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Her hair looks awful... like it's full of
>> hardened "Do-Gel" or something.
>> So far, the overall look is better than I would expect after watching
>> the Flash anim on the website though.
>> McG.
>
> I noticed the hair, and watched the clip a few more times. In the
> first 10 seconds or so, her hair has a very rigid appearance, later
> in the clip it is much more flexible, although it's not very easy to
> spot in the gameplay sequence.
>
> The motorbike model also looks incomplete as it it lacking essentials
> like axles and spokes from the wheels.
>
> There's some screenshots and stuff on
> http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr7/index.html
>
> Mark.

Thanks for that. Seems that TRC.com has access to a 3D view we don't?
Hm! Yep, just checked again. Lara doesn't raise her arms at all in
ours. Well hey! A little looking around TRC.com and I found that one
and yet another one. Great!
If they're still developing the game, I'm sure there will need to be
plenty of 'fixing up' yet to do. I really do want the game, but I also
don't want to see them push out another fiasco like AoD turned out to
be.
McG.

Pistol Whipped wrote:
> The city scenes reminded me
> of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked it!

The city scenes here looked like it was set in Tokyo, that should be
interesting. Loved the 'tomb' type settings too (all those back
flips..../rubs hands with glee), and there seemed to be an air of WWII
to it, something about the barbed wire conjured up feelings of war time
to me.

Andrea

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>
>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>
>> Mean Marine
>>
>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>
>Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>
>McG. <thanks!>

<darted off to DL/view trailer>

What he said.

If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
once, McG.

Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.

Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
on there.

Wishing Well,

Fred

"Unadulterated Me" <froupaccount@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Pistol Whipped wrote:
> > The city scenes reminded me
> > of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked it!
> >

> The city scenes here looked like it was set in Tokyo, that should be
> interesting. Loved the 'tomb' type settings too (all those back
> flips..../rubs hands with glee), and there seemed to be an air of WWII
> to it, something about the barbed wire conjured up feelings of war time
> to me.
>
> Andrea

WWII? Hmm...but with futuristic looking surveillance devices and motorbikes!

I'd really rather it not, it wouldn't be very TRey, besides which I think
the gaming market is flooded enough with games that celebrate real wars. It
makes me angry and a little sick.

Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e taken the
ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or lock-on crossfire
aiming. Very exciting.

"Dragoncarer" <woops@no.sorry> wrote in message
> "Unadulterated Me" <froupaccount@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Pistol Whipped wrote:
>>> The city scenes reminded me
>>> of London! Oh, I know, a lot of you hated London ... but *I* liked
>>> it!
>>>

>> The city scenes here looked like it was set in Tokyo, that should be
>> interesting. Loved the 'tomb' type settings too (all those back
>> flips..../rubs hands with glee), and there seemed to be an air of
>> WWII to it, something about the barbed wire conjured up feelings of
>> war time to me.
>>
>> Andrea
>
> WWII? Hmm...but with futuristic looking surveillance devices and
> motorbikes!
>
> I'd really rather it not, it wouldn't be very TRey, besides which I
> think the gaming market is flooded enough with games that celebrate
> real wars. It makes me angry and a little sick.
>
> Meanwhile, did y'all notice the crossfire?!?!? Looks like they'e
> taken the ONI-esque suggestions from waaaaay back for camera or
> lock-on crossfire aiming. Very exciting.

Time will tell. This seems only the beginning!
McG.

"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
>> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
>>> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
>>>
>>> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
>>>
>>> Mean Marine
>>>
>>> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
>>
>> Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>>
>> McG. <thanks!>
>>
> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>
> What he said.
>
> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
> once, McG.
>
> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>
> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
> on there.
>

> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred
You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
"good" at it. I enjoy it :)
I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
some parts are :)
P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
McG.

"King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>
> >"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message
> >> Go here to download a trailer (with gameplay) of tr legend.
> >>
> >> http://www.gamershell.com/download_8997.shtml
> >>
> >> Mean Marine
> >>
> >> "lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."
> >
> >Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
> >
> >McG. <thanks!>
> >
> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>
> What he said.
>
> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
> Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
> pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
> once, McG.

Yeah, I'd imagine you'd need to upgrade your vid card, everything else
should be fine (except for it being a notebook).
Of course, if you want an at least decent card you'd be looking at around
AUD 250-300, which is a little bit more than buying yourself an Xbox. So
yeah, I think the best option is to buy a console.

At least then you can play all sorts of games and not have to upgrade, or
install, or patch, or worry about space. Ya just stick it in, turn it on and
pray. I love my consoles. But I also love my PC. And, yes, I'm sure we all
know how much I love to digress...

Ladida...

> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>
> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
> on there.
>

> Wishing Well,
>
> Fred

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>
>>On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
>>

>>>"Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message

>>>Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
>>>
>>>McG. <thanks!>
>>>
>><darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>
>>What he said.
>>
>>If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
>>Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
>>pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
>>once, McG.
>>
>>Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>
>>Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
>>on there.
>>

>>Wishing Well,
>>
>>Fred
>
> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
> me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
> "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
> some parts are :)
> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
> eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
> McG.

Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!

Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)

---
PW

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>
>>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:

>>> <darted off to DL/view trailer>
>>>
>>> What he said.
>>>
>>> If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale
>>> Notebook Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB,
>>> WinXP-Home), I'll just pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What
>>> the heck, I only live once, McG.
>>>
>>> Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
>>>
>>> Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
>>> dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action
>>> going on there.
>>>

>>> Wishing Well,
>>>
>>> Fred
>>
>> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
>> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles
>> around me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm
>> not any "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
>> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now.
>> Well, some parts are :)
>> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
>> Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
>> own! McG.
>>

> Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>
> Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
> Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>
> ---
> PW

Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
:eek:)) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
megs for 14 seconds :) Purty stuff too.
I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
McG.

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
<snip>
>>>P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
>>>Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
>>>I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
>>>they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
>>>own! McG.
>>>

>>Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>>
>>Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>>Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>>
>>---
>>PW
>

> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
> mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
> :eek:)) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
> megs for 14 seconds :) Purty stuff too.
> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
> McG.

Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to go
get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.

Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!

<Rationalization mode>
What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
wasn't it?
</Rationalization mode>

---
PW

> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:16 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> posted:
> >
> >> "Mean Marine" <wminnick@minnick.ws> wrote in message

> >> Oh *HELL* YES!!!!! Lara got JUMP! She got MOVE! I'm buying it :)
> >>
> >> McG. <thanks!>
> >>
> > <darted off to DL/view trailer>
> >
> > What he said.
> >
> > If it needs more computing power than I have (Clearance-sale Notebook
> > Compaq, Athlon 1.8GHz, 512MB, ATI Radeon 64MB, WinXP-Home), I'll just
> > pick up a Playstation while I'm at it. What the heck, I only live
> > once, McG.
> >
> > Do like her looks, too. Much better rendering.
> >
> > Question is (at my age), will I be able to muster the digital
> > dexterity needed to play it? Looks like some pretty fast action going
> > on there.
> >

> > Wishing Well,
> >
> > Fred
> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles around
> me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm not any
> "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now. Well,
> some parts are :)
> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa Cruz,
> eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their own!
> McG.

I'd be extremely surprised if a game released over the next year and half
(ie., Legend's supposed release date) wouldn't work fine on that.

> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
> > In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> > about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> >> "King Key Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message

> >> You might be needing that PS2 Fred :\ 10,000 poly Lara? Hmmm.
> >> ha! I'm 50, got a bunch of kids and grandkids that run circles
> >> around me. When I want to relax, I'll go Tombing! So what if I'm
> >> not any "good" at it. I enjoy it :)
> >> I hope my rig will handle it. It's getting a little oldish now.
> >> Well, some parts are :)
> >> P4-3.0E (Prescott)/800/1m L2, 2 gigs DDR400 dual channel, TB Santa
> >> Cruz, eVGA 6800GT-256 meg, XP Pro.
> >> I get what I want, I play what I want, the kids get the leftovers. If
> >> they don't like what they get, they got jobs and can buy their
> >> own! McG.
> >>

> > Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
> >
> > Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
> > Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
> >
> > ---
> > PW
>
> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed to
> mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer" AVI
> :eek:)) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
> megs for 14 seconds :) Purty stuff too.
> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
> McG.

I think a good way of determining if a Vid card is gonna last a while is
price. It sounds horribly capitalist, but I think it's true.

If your vid card is less than, say, AUD 250 then you're gonna need to
upgrade soon enough if you want high-res on the newest games.

And face it, no matter what card you buy (unless it's like an X850 - drool)
you will need to upgrade in 12-24 months from the date of purchase.

> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
> about 05/03/2005 09:05 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> "Pistol Whipped" <pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> In the dead of night, a faint whisper from McGrandpa was heard, at
>>> about 05/03/2005 06:24 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Oldish? Oh, like you're worried with *that* machine! Ha!
>>>
>>> Besides, like you said, you'll just go get a better graphics card if
>>> Lara's shadow isn't at least 32 shades of grey! :)
>>>
>>> ---
>>> PW
>>

>> Oh? Hehe! You should see some of the Half-Life 2 stuff Valve is
>> cooking up with "high range filter". Not sure what that's supposed
>> to mean, but what it does is make the lighting, shading, shadows,
>> translucency and reflections look pretty darn realistic. And the
>> website calls that one little vid of gameplay footage a "CPU Killer"
>> AVI
>>> o)) LOL! The valve demo avi of that high range stuff is almost 200
>> megs for 14 seconds :) Purty stuff too.
>> I just got this vid card. I hope it'll hold up for another year!
>> McG.
>>

> Your machine makes mine look pitiful. All I could squeek out was to
> go get me an FX5700. And *that* makes my 5200 look like sh**.
>
> Now I need to get a power supply that'll *run it*!!!
>
> <Rationalization mode>
> What do you need all those purty colors fer anywho... Pacman was fun
> wasn't it?
> </Rationalization mode>
>
> ---
> PW

Um. I am an amateur shutterbug. Have a gobb of older Minolta gear.
And a file cab drawer full of negs :) I also have digital cameras,
fairly fast 48 bit flatbed with a 6 x 9 transparency lid. I dabble in
digital painting, all sorts of image work. My hobby. The fun stuff is
the games then. So, the more colors the better, same with pixels...and
texels and pipes and and and YUP! Ha!
AoD now flies. no slowdowns anywhere. I never seen Lara die so darn
fast in my whole life! I make boo boo's faster than ever now! :)
Pac Man. Hm. Centipede!
McG.