Remove duel boot

When I bought my computer it came with WinXP on one drive C, NTFS format. I
ended up placing my old drive with Win98 as drive C, reformatting the drive
the computer came with and installing WinXP on drive D.

Now I'd like to remove the Win98 bootup option and reclaim the drive space
on drive C. Is there an easy and safe way to do so?

--

chuck
3 answers Last reply

    Chuck, when in MS Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options>View>click on Show
    hidden files and folders and Uncheck
    Hide protected operating system files. Do this when in Win98. You can
    delete everything but these four files.
    ntldr, ntdetect.com , bootsect. dos and boot.ini Delete everything
    from WinXP except those four files

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Chuck, when in MS Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options>View>click on
    > Show hidden files and folders and Uncheck
    > Hide protected operating system files. Do this when in Win98. You can
    > delete everything but these four files.
    > ntldr, ntdetect.com , bootsect. dos and boot.ini Delete everything
    > from WinXP except those four files
    > "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> When I bought my computer it came with WinXP on one drive C, NTFS format.
    >> I ended up placing my old drive with Win98 as drive C, reformatting the
    >> drive the computer came with and installing WinXP on drive D.
    >>
    >> Now I'd like to remove the Win98 bootup option and reclaim the drive
    >> space on drive C. Is there an easy and safe way to do so?

    Let me make sure I have the correct.

    Boot in Win98. Unhide protected os files. Boot in WinXP and delete
    everything but the four files listed.

    Seems easy enough.

    Is it really necessary to boot it Win98 though? Can't I just unhide them
    from WinXP?

    chuck

    Chuck, you can do it from WinXP. If you see a file cmldr leave
    that alone also.
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Chuck, when in MS Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options>View>click on
    >> Show hidden files and folders and Uncheck
    >> Hide protected operating system files. Do this when in Win98. You can
    >> delete everything but these four files.
    >> ntldr, ntdetect.com , bootsect. dos and boot.ini Delete
    >> everything from WinXP except those four files
    >> "Chuck" <vze4258n@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> When I bought my computer it came with WinXP on one drive C, NTFS
    >>> format. I ended up placing my old drive with Win98 as drive C,
    >>> reformatting the drive the computer came with and installing WinXP on
    >>> drive D.
    >>>
    >>> Now I'd like to remove the Win98 bootup option and reclaim the drive
    >>> space on drive C. Is there an easy and safe way to do so?
    >>>

    > Let me make sure I have the correct.
    >
    > Boot in Win98. Unhide protected os files. Boot in WinXP and delete
    > everything but the four files listed.
    >
    > Seems easy enough.
    >
    > Is it really necessary to boot it Win98 though? Can't I just unhide them
    > from WinXP?
    >
    > chuck

Configuration Computers Boot Microsoft Windows XP