Sign in with
Your question

Phenom x4 955 - Ridiculous amount of noise?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
August 20, 2010 11:28:52 AM

Hi all,
Recently built a new PC with alot of help from forum users here, had a few problems after building but it's been running fine for over a month now.

One thing I've noticed though is that the CPU cooler makes an unusually loud amount of noise under load. I've put up with it for a while considering it was copeable but last night tried Borderlands and the fan noise just stopped you concentrating from the game completely. Only way I could sort of drown it out was to turn my speakers up to 80-100% volume and it was still noticeable. This also happens with a game called Lead & Gold. I can play Crysis fine with it, the noise is still lodu but not so bad.

As you can tell I've got no idea how CPUs work and the only thing I can think of which may be causing it is while building the PC, there were problems with no POST beep codes, unknown post beep codes etc So the CPU was removed about 3 times through trial and error. So, the pad has disintegrated and I used a really cheap paste instead. Would this be the problem?

If so, would it be better to buy a better quality paste or buy a better heatsink?

Thanks

More about : phenom 955 ridiculous amount noise

a c 133 à CPUs
August 20, 2010 12:22:42 PM

When you applied new paste did you take the old paste off with some rubbing alcohol? I would say go get some good thermal compound like artic silver and apply it very very thin to thick of thermal compound will cause your cpu to run even hotter.

You should download HWMonitior from www.CPUID.com to find out what your temps are at load that will tell you more of whats going on by seeing how hot it really gets. If it gets over 70C then most likey the heatsink is not seated properly or there is too much thermal compound.

AMD's stock fans are a tad on the loud side because they are 10,000 rpm fans and when they ramp up to full speed you know it the real solution for the sound of the fan is to get an aftermarket cooler because even if your heatsink is fine when under load the fan will eventually ramp up especially when playing a CPU intensive game.
August 20, 2010 8:59:32 PM

saaiello said:
When you applied new paste did you take the old paste off with some rubbing alcohol? I would say go get some good thermal compound like artic silver and apply it very very thin to thick of thermal compound will cause your cpu to run even hotter.

You should download HWMonitior from www.CPUID.com to find out what your temps are at load that will tell you more of whats going on by seeing how hot it really gets. If it gets over 70C then most likey the heatsink is not seated properly or there is too much thermal compound.

AMD's stock fans are a tad on the loud side because they are 10,000 rpm fans and when they ramp up to full speed you know it the real solution for the sound of the fan is to get an aftermarket cooler because even if your heatsink is fine when under load the fan will eventually ramp up especially when playing a CPU intensive game.

Hi saaiello, thanks for the quick and informative reply.

Here's the results after 2 hours of play on Borderlands. This time, the CPU fan was nowhere near as bad as usual but was still quite loud.

Related resources
October 23, 2010 1:17:18 AM

Have you enable q-fan in the Bios? My runs at 2800 the most but however the CPU temperature stays around 48 C. That is the trade it for the noise reduction.
a c 120 à CPUs
October 23, 2010 3:12:07 PM

That's why an aftermarket cpu cooler is a good solution.
Cooler temps and less noise.
A CM 212+ is a cheap and effective solution.
!