Sign in with
Your question

Need help putting together the best gaming rig money can buy

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2010 12:32:55 PM

Hello, well I need help picking out the absolute best parts to fashion the best gaming rig possible, I'll set down what I was thinking and you can correct me with a reason please.

2x Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 TOXIC 4GB crossfired (If you can?)

Intel Core i7 980X 3.33GHz (Gulftown) Extreme Edition

OCZ RevoDrive 240GB PCI-Express Solid State Drive

G.Skill RipJaw 24GB (6x4GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Triple Channel Kit

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 High Performance 1200W Power Supply

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series 7.1 Sound Card

Lian Li PC-X2000F Aluminium Full-Tower Case - Black

Ok thats all I have up to now, can you please tell me what could be improved and anything else I mainly need thanks.

August 20, 2010 12:43:54 PM

Well those are some serious components you picked out but for a full time ultimate gaming rig you are actually going overkill.

OK 1st off 2 HD 5970's can most certainly be done, but its really not needed unless you plan on gaming at some crazy high resolution but ok I can see getting them anyway. 24 gigs of ram you are waisting your money buying any more then 6 gigs for a gaming rig and actually 4 gigs is plenty for any game but since triple channel 6 is perfect.the I7 980 not necessary eithier unless you have piles of cash to burn dont bother getting the 980 since most games barely use more then 3 cores at the moment, but like the dual 5970's sure I can see getting it if I had the cash more power then you need never hurts.
August 20, 2010 1:11:10 PM

Thanks for the reply, yh haha I think I was silly with the RAM but I am aiming to go overkill, want this to eminate raw power lol. So if I was going overkill, is everything as good as it gets? Also what colling system would be recommended?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 20, 2010 5:05:25 PM

About the video cards, if you are set on ATI, 3 5870s in crossfire will outperform 2 5970s in crossfire 99% of the time.

If you are not set on crossfire, 3 GTX480s is the best performance money can buy.
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=e...

On another note, if money is no object, you could get 4 GTX 480s in crossfire and opt for a server motherboard with 4 3.33GHz 6-core Xeons (equal to the i7 980X each).

That said, anything past an i7 930 and triple SLI 480s will provide very little improvement for the cost.

As for cooling, you might want to look into water because of the tight spaces that the cards will have to fit into if you go with 3 or 4 cards. I know my friend had issues with two 5970s and had to get a new motherboard with the pci-e slots further apart. Now he's got a GTX480 and might get a second but would need to again look into a new motherboard because of space/heat issues.

Edit: I wouldn't look into more than 12GB of ram for both the future and massive breathing room. But 24GB won't be detrimental to performance.

Also, last I checked, the OCZ retrodrive was not bootable. If money is not an option, how about a bunch of intel SLC drives in a RAID setup? With, like 4 in a RAID 0 configuration you would have a lot of performance.

Another option is ram drives. You can purchase more ram and special drives to put the ram into the Sata interface. You would get Ram performance for your hard drive. The downfall is lower capacity/$ than SSDs and it would need to be constantly powered or you would lose all data on it.
a b 4 Gaming
August 20, 2010 5:31:32 PM

I would change to a faster RAM and/or lower latency. The Corsair Dominator GTX or Kingston T1 Hyper X run at or above 2500 mhz.

Also, don't forget the Asus ROG Ares series of graphics cards, which are limited editions and are supposed to be the fastest graphics cards available. They use two 5870 pcbs, whereas the Sapphire 5970 uses two 5850 chips:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/ARES_CrossFire
http://supremehardware.net/2010/07/quick-test-asus-rog-...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296304-33-asus-ares-5...
August 21, 2010 9:45:56 PM

Hmm, what do you guys think, 2 Asus Ares in crossfire or 4 SLI GTX480?
a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2010 1:09:01 AM

Spartan Mage said:
Hmm, what do you guys think, 2 Asus Ares in crossfire or 4 SLI GTX480?

As much as I love ATI, one GTX480 core is faster than one 5870 core (which is what the asus ares has).

That said, if space is an issue, you might consider the ares.
!