Sign in with
Your question

24 Pin Power Supply Cable to Motherboard

Last response: in Components
August 20, 2010 2:45:17 PM

Hi I just ordered a case for my new build and the power supply is going to have to be installed at the bottom. I anticipate that there is a strong possibility that the cable will not reach the motherboard comfortably, now I have access to more 24 pin supply cables. Would these cables work as extensions, as in plugging directly into the cable that comes with the psu at one end and then the motherboard at the other? Or do I need an "extension-specific" cable? First build I'm afraid.

Thanks so much!
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 3:26:47 PM

Well lets wait for your PSU to arrive. Install it and then see. Most cables are long enough to reach the power connector on the mobo. So i am sure you wont have to worry there.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 156 V Motherboard
August 20, 2010 5:51:00 PM

The 24 pin power cable will probably reach your motherboard. The 8 pin CPU power plug will reach if you route it over the video card.

If you want to route them behind the motherboard tray for better cable management, the 24 pin cable may reach. The 8 pin cable probably won't.

m
l
August 20, 2010 10:02:27 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. It is my intent to run it behind the tray. Hoping for improved air flow and a generally cleaner interior.
m
l
!