Sign in with
Your question

WD Green 3TB Internal HDD Disappears

Last response: in Storage
August 15, 2012 6:43:32 PM

Hi, I have a unique concern I'd like to discuss/ask:

Problem: My brand-new WD Green 3TB Internal (EZRX) HDD simply disappeared from the system completely after some time, only to be rediscovered by clicking "rescan disks" in disk management.

Here's the whole story; today I upgraded my desktop PC with the WD HDD as a single-partitioned secondary drive. Everything runs fine, I test-ran it by copying 400 GB data from another HDD into it and it's still fine. After an hour or so idle time though, it simply disappears.
Everything is still plugged in, running, cooled, and powered, but the new drive is gone with no error report of any sort. After I poked around a bit (didn't actually do anything), I tried clicking "rescan disks" in disk management and the HDD is detected and self-remounted. It works fine and no data is lost.

Question: Should I get it replaced? Will it cause data loss in the future? Or is it normal for WD Green Hard disks to do this?
As feedback, I also have a 2TB one and the same "issue" never occurred.

AND, if it really is normal for WD Green HDD to do this, I'd like to know if there's a way to stop it from happening again (because an internal HDD unmounting itself seems very abnormal to me.)

By the way, my specs:
Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 mobo
ati radeon HD 6850 on Crossfirex
intel i7 2600k CPU
4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3
3 other HDDs, Running for years with no problem (one of them is WD Green 2TB)
On Windows 7 64bit
August 25, 2012 1:47:08 AM

Bathvader said:
Hi, I have a unique concern I'd like to discuss/ask:

Problem: My brand-new WD Green 3TB Internal (EZRX) HDD simply disappeared from the system completely after some time, only to be rediscovered by clicking "rescan disks" in disk management.

Here's the whole story; today I upgraded my desktop PC with the WD HDD as a single-partitioned secondary drive. Everything runs fine, I test-ran it by copying 400 GB data from another HDD into it and it's still fine. After an hour or so idle time though, it simply disappears.
Everything is still plugged in, running, cooled, and powered, but the new drive is gone with no error report of any sort. After I poked around a bit (didn't actually do anything), I tried clicking "rescan disks" in disk management and the HDD is detected and self-remounted. It works fine and no data is lost.

Question: Should I get it replaced? Will it cause data loss in the future? Or is it normal for WD Green Hard disks to do this?
As feedback, I also have a 2TB one and the same "issue" never occurred.

AND, if it really is normal for WD Green HDD to do this, I'd like to know if there's a way to stop it from happening again (because an internal HDD unmounting itself seems very abnormal to me.)

By the way, my specs:
Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 mobo
ati radeon HD 6850 on Crossfirex
intel i7 2600k CPU
4x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3
3 other HDDs, Running for years with no problem (one of them is WD Green 2TB)
On Windows 7 64bit

I'm having the exact same problem. The only, semi-acceptable, solution I've found so far is to change the power settings so the hard drive never switches to idle. The problem is that windows 7 does not allow the option of adjusting individual hard drive power settings. So, unfortunately, in order to resolve the problem my other 7 hard drives have to remain powered as well. I'm still a novice with a working knowledge of computers, but I've had hard drives fry out on me in the past so I'm not very fond of the possibility of it happening again. I would love to have an actual solution to this problem.
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:32:05 PM

princevalium1979 said:
I'm having the exact same problem. The only, semi-acceptable, solution I've found so far is to change the power settings so the hard drive never switches to idle. The problem is that windows 7 does not allow the option of adjusting individual hard drive power settings. So, unfortunately, in order to resolve the problem my other 7 hard drives have to remain powered as well. I'm still a novice with a working knowledge of computers, but I've had hard drives fry out on me in the past so I'm not very fond of the possibility of it happening again. I would love to have an actual solution to this problem.

How does changing the hard drives to "never go idle" fry them? Did they get fried from overheating? If that is possible then I'd like to seek other solutions as well.

And thanks Kenrivers for the guide to turn off auto-idle. I may try them when I confirm that nothing will fry when I do.
m
l
!