Will installing a new OS on an SSD damage it?

CJohnson

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I'm about to upgrade from the Windows 8 Release Preview to the RTM. Unfortunately, I now realize that a direct upgrade isn't possible, and that I'll need a clean install. Will wiping my SSD and installing a new OS damage it? I've heard that doing excessive writing at once can be harmful, so I'm just nervous.

Thanks

CJohnson

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Ok, thank you very much! So it doesn't matter how many programs that I have installed, either? I have about 100 GB worth of programs on this install as well. Does that affect anything?

You said "I have about 100 GB worth of programs on this install as well. Does that affect anything? "

Looked back and did not see what SSD you had. So I can only guess at what you have
.. If SSD is > 128 gig then NO problem.
.. if it is a 120 Gig, then Borderline problem. Generall a 120 gig SSD is really only around 116 gigs (diff way manuf list size and way a computer see it). Then Must leave a MIN of 10% free so that wear leveling, Garbage collection and TRIM can work their magic. 116 -12 = 104 Gigs is Max fill. Some like myself us Min free of 15% which would mean 100 gigs filled is to much.
.. If 128 gig, Then still borderline close. for a 128 gig SSD do not go above 100 gigs filled