Can a 400w corsair power supply cope with upgrades?

Xasdse

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hi, im a first time builder (and a newcomer on these forums so sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum) and have a quick question about the power supply i hope to buy.

I hope to buy a 400w corsair cx power supply to power these components:

Amd athlon x2 250 3ghz
2gb kingston/corsair etc ram
MSI 760gm-E51 motherboard
500gb western digital hdd
ati 4770 (preferrably a 1gb version)
and of course and optical drive

Now i understand that a good 400w power supply such as a corsair can power these components, but as this is a quick budget build, i may in the future be upgrading. However as i am not an avid gamer it will be very unlikely that the graphics card will be updated, and i may just be upgrading with a new cpu (and ram but ram i understand does not use much power). As i said i am new to this and so it may be a stupid question and cpus may not use much power either, but i would just like to make sure. The cpu i would be upgrading to would be a phenom x4 965 just so that you know.

P.S can someone please confirm/ state and alternative for my motherboard if they do not think it is suitable ( i am not interested in high overclocks)

Sorry that it is a bit long-winded and hope forward to the replys.

Thanks.

I don't have any experience with modern AMD CPU's so I cannot judge the suitability of your motherboard with an X4-965.

But your PSU will be adequate for about any upgrade except a second video card.

Yes your PSU can handle the upgrade with no problem but, I would not even look at a quad core if I was upgrading get the x6 1055 or 1090 I checked your boards support and it is on the list.

Xasdse

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

ok nice thanks for replying

Xasdse

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

Thanks thats good to know, i dont understand about amps and rails on a power supply so thats really helpful thanks.