Simple question about a Samsung SH-222BB DVD Writer

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I have this Samsung SH-222BB DVD Writer and a HP 24x Multiformat DVD/CD Writer (dvd 1260i) ... both brand new and neither works for loading Win7 to a PC. Everything is brand new and this is quite a hurdle.

My question ... is the problem that both these drives are writers and will not read ... meaning they can't be a drive used to load Win7???

I see now on newegg there are readers and writers separated ... I thought that an optical drive could always read and some could write?!

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

What are the odds my Win7 cd (brand new for this build, opened just this week) is "unreadable"? I'm running out of reasons why a new build will not load a Win7 OS from CD ... I see the drives in bios and all but neither wants to work ... no read, no open, nothing!

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Optical drive is first in the boot order. The PC simply comes up to the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

So far I have done all this ...

1) I push the button on the front of the CD and the try will not open. Initially I got a light on the front (LED) but not now.

2) shut down the PC, opened the drive with a paperclip, put in the Win7 disk and turned on the PC ... drive wont close even if I push the button ... disk won't load even if I hit enter

3) repeat step 1 but while the pc is off close the CD tray ... same result

4) tried every SATA connection from the PSU ... two cables with two connectors each ... each time I change the connections I verified the drives appear correctly in bios

5) swapped the SATA data cable with the drives ... no difference

6) tried all 4 SATA connections on the mobo ... no difference

7) tried another drive (an HP DVD 1260) ... no difference

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

I was thinking that too. It also seems unlikely all four SATA ports on my mobo are bad too.

Can a SATA drive be plugged in to a SATA3 port on the mobo ... that is a combination I have not tried yet. I'm just hinking this is something really simple and I'm not getting it.

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

In another thread you recommended loading Win& from a USB port instead of CD. Last night I got an 8GB USB and used the WinToFlash software to sucessfully create a bootable USB with the Win7 install ... according to the tool anyway.

So tonight I am going to try this ... do I just plug the USB in to a mobo port directly and turn on the PC? Or do I need to set something in the BIOS to do this?

jrau

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

FYI ... wintoflash rocks ... downloaded app ... usb and Win7 cd in my old winXP box and it just made theings happen (I just had to click a couple buttons). Put usb in a mobo port and thing started loading win7. This got me past my cd issue (not sure what's up with that yet)!

I have an ASRock z77 pro3 mobo and after two more reads through the software guide (the BIOS manual) I can't find any info on how to setup for a boot from usb. I thought I had to have the thing plugged in (used mobo port) so the bios could see it (thinking I might get more options.

I exit the BIOS and the Win7 install started! I'm thinking that at the point I get the message about an install disk I could just plus in the usb and hit enter.

Crazy thing ... no issue with the win7 disk. After I get it setup maybe the cd drive works. I will say for the $7 cost of a USB drive this sweet!