Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to recover data from toshiba external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
August 15, 2012 10:59:46 PM

My external hard drive made by Toshiba started making clicking sound and I am unable to recover data. I am looking for a possible solution. Geek Squad quoted me a price range for the work $250-$500 and no guarantee of data recovery. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
a b G Storage
August 16, 2012 6:45:53 AM

Does this drive can be recognized by windows? You could go to windows disk management to see whether it is displayed there and what is the status..
Have you tried some data recovery software? Like TestDisk it is a freeware.
a c 125 G Storage
August 16, 2012 8:46:24 AM

if the drive out of warranty i would take the drive apart if your lucky it the interface board inside that went bad. if not and it the hard drive if it a controller issues sometime people can change out the pcb and get the drive to work one more time or deep freezing it.
Related resources
August 16, 2012 2:21:44 PM

Speaking as a professional data recovery expert, a clicking noise from a hard drive is usually a result of bad heads. There is a very small chance that it could be a bad PCB. Cost for PCB issues usually range from $400-600. Cost for clean room work and head assembly replacement starts at about $800 and can be as high as 1400. Others may charge much more.

Be aware that the heads usually go bad for a reason .. and that reason is usually contact with the disks. This is bad and will cause some areas to be forever unreadable, but worse yet .. if you continue to run the drive in this condition, the debris from the physical crash can cause the damage to snowball and it can quickly escalate into a non-recoverable situation.

If the data is important and you can afford it, seek the help of the pros. If your in Canada, search for Memofix, we can help.
August 28, 2012 1:23:55 AM

It really costs much! Find a free data recovery software to help you may be appropriate. Open the link, this is a free data recovery tool, the operation is not difficult, you can easily handle it. Hope it will help you.
November 27, 2012 8:28:54 AM

Successful recovery from a Data Loss Event generally requires an effective backup strategy. Without a backup strategy, recovery requires reinstallation of programs and regeneration of data. Even with an effective backup strategy, restoring a system to the precise state it was in prior to the Data Loss Event is extremely difficult. Some level of compromise between granularity of recoverability and cost is necessary. Furthermore, a Data Loss Event may not be immediately apparent. An effective backup strategy must also consider the cost of maintaining the ability to recover lost data for long periods of time.

The most convenient backup system would have duplicate copies of every file and program that were immediately accessible whenever a Data Loss Event was noticed. However, in most situations, there is an inverse correlation between the value of a unit of data and the length of time it takes to notice the loss of that data. Taking this into consideration, many backup strategies decrease the granularity of restorability as the time increases since the potential Data Loss Event. By this logic, recovery from recent Data Loss Events is easier and more complete than recovery from Data Loss Events that happened further in the past recoversdata. com
January 3, 2013 1:46:38 AM

triveak said:
My external hard drive made by Toshiba started making clicking sound and I am unable to recover data. I am looking for a possible solution. Geek Squad quoted me a price range for the work $250-$500 and no guarantee of data recovery. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Hi,

I am facing the same problem with my Toshiba 1tb external hard drive. my laptop is not detecting it anymore and is making the same clicking sound. let me know if you were able to recover the data and the whats the reason thats causing such a problem or any kind of possible solution will be highly appreciates.

Thanks.
January 6, 2013 6:14:36 AM

Quote:
Actually, you should try a free recovery tool, which has helped many people to recover their inaccessible data from their drive including me. It is really free and efficient! It is worth trying!
Note:
1. Never write new thing on your drive to overwrite the original data, which can erase your data permanently.
2. Never store the recovered data on the same drive in case of recovery failure.
3. Never forget to back up your important data regularly.

:D  Big THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUU

My computer wouldn't access the USB external drive. I suspected a corruption somewhere. I even tried it on another computer. I had given up on it but thought I would trawl the Internet. Three programs I tried wouldn't do the job but the software you recommend recovered the files I wanted!

I am so glad that this forum helped me with my usb external drive. Hope my additional info can help someone else who comes to this forum with similar problem.
Regards
Michael
January 16, 2013 8:36:08 AM

Hi Triveak,

No need to worry; if your drive is not physically damaged then you can use any of the data recovery software available in the market. The best among the other recovery software is HDD partition recovery software which will help you to recover your data from Toshiba external hard drive. This software is available at reasonable prices so without wasting your much time just go ahead and try the software. Click on the below links if you want to use the software.

Software link: http://www.hddpartitionrecovery.com/

Download link: http://www.hddpartitionrecovery.com/download/hddpartiti...

Good luck,

Senny
!